Easiest Cell Phone to both understand and use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Understood, and me too. Of course, terminology has always been different between the UK and the US, and used to be the source of much trans-Atlantic joshing with my US-based colleagues. OTOH the differences tended to be far fewer when it came to technical terms.

Chances are good that "loop" thing was a European term.

You're right about terminology differences -- we don't do much "earthing" over here, for example...  ::)
And "mains" ???  :-[  European (or at least British) airplanes have undercarriages vs. landing gear, perspex vs plexiglass, RT is radio, etc..........  8)

Larry, I can see we'd have some fun exchanging terminology around a campfire. Having worked for a California company in the UK for 10 years, I was somewhat used to switching back and forth on a daily basis. When we moved to California, I spent some time calibrating my other half on the dual meanings of words and phrases. But she has lots of her own terminology stories to share  ;D

Ned said:
If you were good, you could dial the phone just using the hook switch.  No dial needed :)
My parents sometimes locked the dial to make the bill a bit lower. So I trained using the hook. And I was nearly perfect. Even on numbers with a lot of "0"... ;)   

Mike, kids never change :)  Today they find ways around the net nanny software on the computers.

[quote author=lnuss]Chances are good that "loop" thing was a European term.[/quote]

I'm not so sure. A Google search turns up lots of references to the telephone loop or subscriber loop from this side of the Atlantic. A simple example is this patent registration for a loop-current regulator granted to a couple of folks in Phoenix, AZ. Or this article, albeit not authoritative, from a Houston, TX company which explains:

A telephone is usually connected to the  telephone exchange by about three miles (4.83 km) of a twisted pair of No.22 (AWG) or 0.5 mm copper wires, known by your telephone company as "the loop".

Lots more examples like that out there.

Tom,

The term "loop" was used quite a bit by the Telcos. Another term for wiring from pole to house was the "drop".

[quote author=Jim Dick5]The term "loop" was used quite a bit by the Telcos.[/quote]

Thanks for restoring my sanity Jim. IIRC you worked for a Telco.

The typical telephone line was called a loop start line.  When you lifted the receiver from the phone, it closed the loop and gave a dial tone.  There were also ground start lines, but mostly used in business when connecting to PBXs or other switches.

I'm bowing out, as I think there's enough 'evidence' here to confirm that this was not "a European thing". Y'all can discuss semantics, but the "loop" was/is used by telcos/PTTs worldwide.

Tom,

Good memory, 32 years with Southern New England Telephone. Still trying to forget some of those days. ;D ;D The RV dealership was much more fun and Yellowstone isn't bad at all!!! :)

OK, my last comment. When I said "loop" as Euro, I was thinking of "loop disconnect dialer" as a Euro term. Certainly "loop" was a much used term, in many different areas. Sorry for the confusion due to the abbreviation.

Back
Top Bottom