Class A Diesel purchase - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poneal

My parents are contemplating upgrading from their 5th wheel to a class A diesel (I hope they do).? ?

The local dealer sells Newmar and Thor.? I posted below on the Thors and got nothing but bad responses.? My parents are very high on the Newmars (Dutch Star and Mountain Aire) mainly because of the local dealer and they have had good luck with their Newmar 5th Wheel.? They are looking at 40'ers (2002-2003) with two or three slides.

I am looking for input on the quality of the Newmars and also any other brands they should consider.?

Thanks for your time.

Your parents won't make a mistake with Newmar.? Both models you mentioned are well reputed as is the service reputation of the manufacturer.

The Dutch Star would be an entry level coach, but an excellent value for the price, whereas the Mountain Aire is a more luxurious model.? Do they plan to buy from stock or custom order>

Have them look into factory delivery if they intend to custom order.? Issues can be corrected and upgraded right at the factory when they take delivery and their delivery experience will be much more satisfying with a factory delivery.
[edit]spell[/edit]

Smoky said:
Was there a reason that both my and Ron's warnings about Thor were removed from the thread? ???

They weren't. This topic is about Newmar. Those "warnings" were posted in another topic. If you just click the Show your posts link next to your name, you'd see where your comments were posted.

Ahhh  LOL!  Sorry about the confusion.

One of the things I like about this forum is that we are free to share both good and not so good experieinces, leaving the reader both sides of an issue so that they can make their own decisions.  A lot of the value of this forum is that the same people are here over a long period of time so that we get to know a person well enough to be able to evaluate their views.  Much different than a forum where strangers come and go all the time.  :D

Smoky said:
Ahhh LOL! Sorry about the confusion.

LOL Smoky. When it happens to me I call it a brain fart.

BTW I can see how the confusion arose; On casual reading, the root message in the two topics appear very similar.

I get lots of BFs these days.  Wonder if there is an over the counter pill for that?

BTW the closer we get to QZ, the busier we get.  I have had to bump back our 15th arrival date for a number of reasons.  Looks more like Thursday now.  Hope they hold that 50 amp pedestal.

Smoky said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!  :eek:

You get there too late and they'll have to bring in a crew to place that pedestal about 1/4 mile further west!!!! Now that will take time because digging in Quartzsite concrete is not fun!  ;D

poneal,

I just saw your post so my response may be too late for your parents' decision on Newmar vs Thor motorhome.  We purchased a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire diesel a year ago.  It had only a little over 15,000 miles on it and was in great shape.  We purchased a 4 year warranty to cover any major issues which arose. 

Bottom line - we absolutely love our coach.  It is evident to us that Newmar makes a quality product.  I did research before we purchased and it appeared most Newmar owners loved their Newmar.  To be honest, we have had a couple of problems, but that is why we bought the warranty since we expected some things to naturally go wrong with an used motorhome.

I don't know anything about the Thor products so can't help you there but based on our experience so far in a 6 year old Newmar motorhome, we are very happy. 

I've had good luck with Winnebago.  I've had a Class A gas Adventurer and currently have a diesel with Cat 330 in it.  Not many problems in 4 years (and 30,000 miles) of ownership.

In my opinion (may not be worth much) the Travel Supreme is also a good quality coach for the money. It is too bad they are not making the 41' Select with LP Gas still onbaord. I had seriously considered trading ours in for one but we are not in the position right now and are very happy with our Scenic Cruiser even though it does lack in the power area. From what I have found out the fuel mileage for the 500 hp is not near as good as my 330 ;D.

RVWizard said:
In my opinion (may not be worth much) the Travel Supreme is also a good quality coach for the money. It is too bad they are not making the 41' Select with LP Gas still onbaord. I had seriously considered trading ours in for one but we are not in the position right now and are very happy with our Scenic Cruiser even though it does lack in the power area. From what I have found out the fuel mileage for the 500 hp is not near as good as my 330 ;D.

Mike

The 40' Supreme still comes with LP for the furnace, stove and refer. I much prefer my 40 Supreme over the Selects since with Corian instead of granite, ceramic tile instead of marble and the lighter weight and less service requirements of the ISL engine, my 400hp ISL is just as fast as the ISM since I have a lot less weight to push. I have no problem climbing almost any grade in cruise control and do not miss the extra 100 hp, probably all wasted on the additional weight.

Back
Top Bottom