Newbie Ham....need antenna(s) advice, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoonsize

Hi, I just passed the Technician's test this past Sunday and I'm trying to get set up with a mobile unit in our truck towing a 5th wheel. The radio has two connection points for antennas. One for a HF/50 and the other for a 144MHz. Can you recommend antennas? Keeping in mind they will most likely have to be mounted on the cab of the pickup. I've found some pretty long whip antennas and would rather not have to use one if I don't have to.

Suggestions please?

Thanks.

I really like my mag-mounted Outbacker for HF (center of F150 crew cab roof), using my Yaesu 857D, and I have a Larsen "trunk"-mount dual band for VHF/UHF, mounted on my hood, also for the 857D. I also have an ATAS 120 (screwdriver), but need better grounding and a stronger mounting location, so the aluminum hood doesn't work well. Since I garage my F150, the roof mount has to be quick release, tough to impossible with the ATAS. It was hood mounted on my previous vehicle, but that aluminum hood on my 2007 F150 doesn't hold the mag mount very well.

Welcome and congratulations on your new ham ticket.

A common mobile antenna for 80 thru 6 meters is the Hamstick.  A hamstick costs about $25, but you can find them used at hamfests for around $5 to $10.  Each band requires a different antenna for that band.  For VHF and UHF I use the MFJ 2m and 450 combo with a single coax feed and magmount for the rooftop.  That one goes into your VHF connector.  For mounting the HF antenna, you can use a permanent mount such as a ball/spring combo, then screw the Hamstick into the mount.  You can also find a 4-magnet mount for the rooftop for the hamstick, but it might be too tall for legal height.

For stationary operation, you can use a variety of portable supports such as stackable 5' TV masts, or fiberglass masts.  I use a 23 ft. painter pole for fixed groundplanes for VHF, and even higher for an inverted V on 40 meters.  You might google the subjects to find out more possibilities.
Good luck, 73's  Deen, W4ANR Florida (fulltime RVer)

I just got mine installed.  I used a MFJ 1729 dual-band mag mount.  Mounted it at the back of my crewcab and ran the coax through the third brakelight/bed lights.  So far it works good...I'll have to keep an eye for leaks though...may have to do some more tighening on it.  Here's a couple of pics of the mounting job.

Attachments

• 106_2511.JPG
    106_2511.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 106_2513.JPG
    106_2513.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member