Michelin XZE 225 70R 19.5 tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30yrnavy

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and looking for some good advice and opinions to help solve my dilemma. I have a 1997 25' Winnebago Warrior which I bought two months ago. The tires are Michelins and aged (with cracks) so I'm going to change them out. They're 225 70R 19.5 load range F's which the coach calls for. I've been doing a lot of research on tires and it seems the more I read the more confused I get! Many folks are against the foreign made tires calling them cheap and unreliable but none of the posts showed any factual information to back up their opinions. Others have installed brands that I've never heard of and are very happy with them. Personally, I feel that most tire failures are most likely due to improper care and inflation. My understanding is that all brands of tires sold in the U.S. have to meet DOT requirements. Lot's of posts talk about Michelins rotting and cracking sooner than most other brands. I was nearly ready to buy a set of Samson GL83's (load range G) for $1,357 balanced and mounted from Big O. But today I went to Costco to check on their tire prices. They have the Michelin XZE 225 70R 19.5 on sale for a few more days. Total price for six is $1,546 which I figure is a decent price to pay and only $189 more than a lesser known brand. So finally, here are my questions: (1) are any of you using the Michelin ZXE, if so, what's your experience with them, (2) are any of you using a foreign brand which you feel, by experience, is better than the Michelin, (3) have any of you switched from an F load to a G load tire. If so, did it provide better handling without being significantly harder riding. I've considered switching if my wheels can handle a G load tire. Sorry for making this such a long post, but I'm very interested in getting a few opinions supported by experience before I invest a substantial amount of money into a set of tires. Thanks for your time.

Nothing wrong with Michelins, though you will find a certain number of scare stories about most any brand.

Load Range G is fine too, but pay attention tot the tire inflation tables and set the tire pressure as appropriate for your actual weigh plus an safety margin. The G's may not need as much psi as the F's for the same weight.

All tires sold in the USA must be labeled to federal DOT standards. That say nothing about their quality and DOT does not do any testing, not does it set tire performance standards. It requires the tire manufacturer to put the required tech info in the labeling, but does not verify unless there is a non-compliance complaint related to safety.

There are major brand name tires priced lower than Michelin & Goodyear, if you are interested. Continental, Toyo, Yokahoma, Bridgestone, BF and Goodrich (a Michelin-owned brand) are examples.  I've heard good reports on Hankook as well.

I have XZEs on all six tires. Excellent tire..excellent ride.

That's a super price. Buy them. Go with the nitrogen fill that Costco offers..

Back
Top Bottom