Electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

AlanT

Hi guys
I have a 2000 American Tradition.
I'm away on vacation at the moment and the 110v supply to the front of the coach has stopped working which means my tv is stuck in the up position. All is ok at the back of the coach the microwave, fridge etc and all the fuses at the base of the bed are ok. Is there another fuse box anywhere or anyone got any suggestions.

ta

Alan

I just saw in another post that the outlets in question maybe powered off your inverter.  The inverter has breakers built in that may be tripped.

Could that outlet be on a GFI? If it's not hard wired you could use and extention cord to the TV so you can lower it. At least then you can travel.

After reading another post in this forum, could there be a circuit breaker on the inverter ot converter that has tripped?

Boatbuilder is right, and I was the one with inverter breakers, one off, one on. I had already checked all the GFCI's, breakers on the main power panel, and fuses, but missed the inverter breakers (which are right where you can see 'em - duh!)

I am amazed at all the ways power can be interrupted, and the number of circuits, but my wiring diagrams from Fleetwood and good Forum response had me back up and running in an hour.

It's really simple and really complicated at the same time.

Good luck!

Are you plugged into shore power? Are you running on the generator or is it running off the inverter?

I just saw in another post that the outlets in question maybe powered off your inverter.  The inverter has breakers built in that may be tripped.

I don't know how it is wired but it wouldn't make sense to power from shore through the inverter would it? I thought the inverter only uses 12 volts.

Could that outlet be on a GFI? If it's not hard wired you could use and extention cord to the TV so you can lower it. At least then you can travel.

GFI has not tripped and going to try and make cable up and take suupply from working socket to get TV lowered.

ta

Alan

skyking4ar2 said:
Boatbuilder is right, and I was the one with inverter breakers, one off, one on. I had already checked all the GFCI's, breakers on the main power panel, and fuses, but missed the inverter breakers (which are right where you can see 'em - duh!)

I am amazed at all the ways power can be interrupted, and the number of circuits, but my wiring diagrams from Fleetwood and good Forum response had me back up and running in an hour.

It's really simple and really complicated at the same time.

Good luck!

Where are the inverter breakers located?

seilerbird said:
Are you plugged into shore power? Are you running on the generator or is it running off the inverter?

The power went off while using generator. (we were parked up waiting for pitch) Now we are connected to shore and still doesn't work.

ta

Alan

Thanx for replies the original inverter has been replaced the new one has no breakers and also inteli-power system installed. The wiring looks quite complicated so think I will try to contact the installers to see if they can help.

ta

Alan

It's almost inconceivable the inverter has no breakers, unless it does not also contain a transfer switch and passthrough 30A power.

American Coach Customer Service is usually very helpful in situations like this - you might give them a call on 800-435-7345

Gary {RV Roamer} said:
It's almost inconceivable the inverter has no breakers, unless it does not also contain a transfer switch and passthrough 30A power.

American Coach Customer Service is usually very helpful in situations like this - you might give them a call on 800-435-7345

Sorry Gary I forgot to mention I am in the UK and it also has a 240v system incorporated and there is a transfer box fitted.

I was going to try my meter on a few connections to try and figure the circuits but now have another problem. I disconnected the shore line and started the generator and it run OK for about half a minute then stopped and won't restart. Does the generator have some kind of cutout if there is an electical fault?

ta

Alan

Alan,

Sounds like they installed a 240V/120V step-down transformer, which is what many Brits do when they ship a US-made motorhome from here to there. Did they also remove the inverter completely?

... it wouldn't make sense to power from  shore through the inverter would it? I thought the inverter only uses 12  volts.

Most, but not all, inverters have an automatic transfer switch built in, to automatically switch from shore/generator power to inverter power when there is no shore or generator power. Similarly, the transfer switch will automatically switch the other way when shore or generator power is present. So, yes, shore power is fed via the inverter, and the inverter would likely have one or two breakers on the outside. If they removed your inverter when they installed the transformer, this would be a mute point.

GFI has not tripped

There may be more than one GFI, and RV manufacturers have a habit of hiding them in strange places.

One reason for the generator not working could be that there's not  enough fuel in the tank. The generator fuel pickup is set high enough in  the tank that it will "run out" of fuel when the tank is at or below  20% full. This ensures that you always have some fuel available to drive  away.

Whatever the outcome, be sure to let us know, so we can pass it along to others in the future. Thanks.
edit: fixed typo.

Tom is right about GFI's. In my 5th wheel the GFI in the bathroom shuts off the outlet in the living area for the TV, but not the outlets in the bedroom which are closer.

Thanks for the replies.
The system has a step down transformer and some 240v sockets fitted around the coach all the original 110v appliances are being used. There is a seperate automatic transfer box, inverter and intelligent charger. When the inverter is switched on there is only 110v supplied. When the generator is running there is 110v and 240v.
I have emailed the company that fit the system to try and find out if there were breakers on the original inverter and how they have rewired those circuits but not had a reply yet.

Still haven't got the generator to run the tank is over half full.

ta

Alan

Thanks for the clarifications Alan. When time permits, could you tell us who the conversion company was and which make/model of inverter they installed.

Since this is a Tradition, I'm assuming it's diesel powered. I've seen a 12V fuel pump quit working on a diesel generator. Unless someone comes up with a better diagnosis, I'd be inclined to check the fuel delivery. While you're at it, you might also check if there's some clue about how old the generator fuel filter is.

There is a seperate automatic transfer box

We might be talking about different things. Most RVs have an automatic transfer switch to switch between shore power and generator, so they're not both trying to feed the coach at the same time. This transfer switch is usually independent of, and quite separate from, the automatic transfer switch inside the inverter that I mentioned.

Tom said:
Thanks for the clarifications Alan. When time permits, could you tell us who the conversion company was and which make/model of inverter they installed.

Since this is a Tradition, I'm assuming it's diesel powered. I've seen a 12V fuel pump quit working on a diesel generator. Unless someone comes up with a better diagnosis, I'd be inclined to check the fuel delivery. While you're at it, you might also check if there's some clue about how old the generator fuel filter is.

We might be talking about different things. Most RVs have an automatic transfer switch to switch between shore power and generator, so they're not both trying to feed the coach at the same time. This transfer switch is usually independent of, and quite separate from, the automatic transfer switch inside the inverter that I mentioned.

The company is Chase RV Electrics in the UK and the inverter is a 2000W Whistler there are 3 pairs of 40amp  fuses on the side that have all checked out OK, it has two 12v terminals on one end and one 110v output on the other end. There is a seperate black box that says Automatic System Transfer on the side.

The generator is an Onan 7500 and I have noticed the switch on it is flashing 3 times which says service required.

ta

Alan

Check the oil level in the generator.  It should be right on the full mark on the dipstick.  The generator will start without oil pressure, but if it doesn't build up to proper levels in a couple of seconds, the engine will shut down to protect itself.

Ah, now I understand. That inverter doesn't have an internal switch to transfer between shore and inverter power.

IIRC Onan generators usually display a fault code, but I need to do some reading to refresh my memory. Following up on Lou's message, does the generator attempt to turn over?

Tom said:
Ah, now I understand. That inverter doesn't have an internal switch to transfer between shore and inverter power.

IIRC Onan generators usually display a fault code, but I need to do some reading to refresh my memory. Following up on Lou's message, does the generator attempt to turn over?

Yes the generator does turn over and oil level is full. The fault code is 36 which suggests some kind of fuel supply problem.
I thought it strange for this to happen the same time as the electrical problem and they may bbe linked in some way.

ta

Alan

I wouldn't necessarily link the two, although it's conceivable that something tripped when the generator stumbled and stopped. It's unlikely that an electrical fault affecting your TV would prevent the generator from starting.

Code 36 does indeed suggest fuel delivery, which was my first guess in my earlier reply. Onan suggests that a blocked air filter could also result in code 36.

It shouldn't be too difficult to isolate or eliminate a fuel delivery issue; A spanner to disconnect the fuel line coming out of the fuel pump. Inspecting/replacing the air filter probably means laying on the ground under the generator.

Availability of a replacement fuel pump &/or air filter in the UK might be more a challenge. But there are suppliers, and please let us know if you can't find one; I believe we have some contact info here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom