Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

We decided to take off again.  I'm going to my 46th high school class reunion next week.  Leaving on Tuesday, 3 days should be time to take it leisurely up there, about a 1000 miles.  Were going to drive the truck up come back and get motorhome then drive to Florida.  Sue Anne wants to take the motorhome, she loves going in it.  Then hubby said it would cut miles to just go to Florida from Indiana which I knew.  So we will do that.  She wants to go back to Disney, likely be there close to Halloween.  I'm sure the park is packed over such holidays, but it will be fun for her.

So I need to finish waxing the next few days, put in clothes, and make a menu for meals.  I think that will be easier and get us the ingredients we need from the house. Also money of course.

Gas just hit $2.70 basically here and I bet its more up there, but such is life.  We are putting the kitty in this weekend and taking her for short drives to see how she does. I intend to take her, she got to lonely when we left her before. Hope she doesn't claw us to death! :eek:

No and I bet that is a problem.  I assume we can camp away from Disney and drive to the park and park.  No toad yet, Tom has to do hookups and stuff when he is home. I am very anxious about that, don't know if I can get around with it back there.  But will deal with that when the time comes.

Miss Blackie our 14 year old kitty and Sue Anne are in the motorhome tonight.  We are going to keep her out there a few days.  Sue Anne is sleeping out there with her tonight.  We will take her for a drive this weekend to see how she does.  She is not a brave cat but I'm thinking with us out there she should be ok.  And this time of year it should be cooler so when we stop and go somewhere maybe we won't have to run the generator and AC, we shall see.  I got her a collar and nametag and may get her chipped before we leave Tuesday.  She was so distressed the last time we left for almost 3 weeks I don't think that is the thing to do again.

Hope you have a great trip.  We are in Columbus Indiana.  I see you are class of '64!  May I ask where you graduated?

Sheila

If you can get into the Disney Fort Wilderness CG do it.  More than outside, but won't need a car, and won't have to hassle with parking the mh in the Disney lot.  PLUS the camper provided decorations there will amaze you. 

I bet its full though.

I graduated from North Central High School in 1964 in Farmersburg
and from Indiana State University in 1968 in Terre Haute with a major in accounting and a minor in business management

Man and I getting old!! :eek:

I think your cat will be thrilled to go with you.  I'm headed to Orlando from New England, soon for a part time gig, so I will be parked and living at my job, which is at a house in suburbia.

I've been getting around without a toad and living, working, playing fulltime in my rig. I figured if I needed a car here and there, it would be cheaper to rent one now and then. So far I haven't rented one at all. My rig takes up less than 2 parking spots end to end, so pulling over for sightseeing or food shopping hasn't been a problem.

My little puppy dog travels with me.  He is a joy to have around.  I hope to add a cat to the mix, once the puppy is fully trained, he loves cats. I made a video of him playing with my friend's cat here http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/2010/08/dear-miss-mermaid-makes-another-video.html

One thing about Florida and particularly the Orlando area is there are lots of toll roads. They generally move faster than the regular routes.  You may want to get a prepaid toll transponder, as then you can whiz right by the toll booths without stopping. You can buy these at grocery stores, drug stores and other places. Read about it at http://www.SunPass.Com

Otherwise, keep a change purse up front full of quarters and one dollar bills. While most make change, I've encountered a few that require exact change (before I got the transponder.)

For cheap gas, check out
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

That shows a map of the USA and current gas prices, you can then check individual states and areas. As you can see from the map, you will want to top up your tank before you enter Florida.

You may want to get the cat a small cozy comfy cat bed that you can place somewhere securely while driving. My puppy dog loves his cat bed (he is only 5 pounds, the dog beds were way too big) and it either rides in the passenger seat or the club chair when I am driving. He generally stays in it 99% of the time,  while I am driving.

I think you will be able to get into DisneyWorld's RV park, it's 750 acres. Once you get closer to an arrival date, you can make a reservation.

Otherwise stay somewhere else, then drive your RV to DisneyWorld for the day, have a reservation for that evening, so when you leave the park, you know where you are camping for the night.

Florida has tons of RV parks and campgrounds with prices all over the place.

My absolute favorite place to stay so far in my travels  was Long Point Park on the Space coast of Florida near Melbourne Beach. I spent a week there and didn't want to leave. It's kind of remote, so it's best to show up with your fridge and pantry stocked up. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I just found the beauty outstanding and loved hiking the area.

I went to the mall tonight to look at clothes, I didn't see anything I liked, was going to buy something new to wear next Saturday night. I told Sue Anne beat I have stuff at home.  I don't feel like paying $200 to $300 for slacks and a jacket.  Or a bunch for a dress I will wear once.

I came home, found a beautiful pants suit I bought a year ago and it fits.  The tags are still on it.  I also have some dresses which like would be better for dinner and a dance, but oh well.

I found that 14 of us gals will be solo so I'm not the only one.  Several guys working or working away some probably just don't want to come.  Tom said if he were home he wouldn't go either.  He doesn't like stuff like that. 

They are having it 3 days.  Friday night a "Pig roast" at a farm not to far from MIL's.  One of my good friends is picking me up to go with her.  And 2 more of our running around buddies are coming.  We are going to see if all of us can go see the one that has MS if she is up to it.  She isn't coming.  Tom and I saw her this year, she is in a bad way and her husband is sick too.  They had the most beautiful home.  It was multiple level, an architectural beauty.  I heard they traded with another couple up there for a house that was all on one level and I think smaller, they just couldn't maintain it and she couldn't function there.  I wish I had known, that one we would have likely bought and moved in, it had 3 or 7 acres by the lake, just gorgeous.

I'm going Saturday night, but not Sunday I don't think.  They are having an early morning walk and stuff and I think its mainly out of towners staying at a motel in Terre Haute.  I doubt any of us go to that one.  They had a 66% positive turn out.  One can't come her husband is having open heart surgery.  I heard another is in the process of building a new house, his 84 year old mom lives with him and a disabled son, didn't know anyone else had one, so he is unable and probably some others with legitimate reasons.

I hope its fun.  Knowing the 2 gals that are planning it, it will be very organized, they both love doing stuff like that.

We couldn't get in Fort Wilderness at the Disney resort, I would have been surprised if we could.  But we got in a centrally located KOA campground, I made reservations today, boy was it expensive, ouch.  We are staying there 4 days, 29th to the 2nd of November.  We can go to Disney and Universal for Halloween, that will thrill her and she is wanting to see the new Harry Potter exhibit.  I'm renting whatever is the cheapest car so I don't have to break camp daily.  Won't have my tow car ready till Tom gets the air brake stuff hooked up.  I know she will have a ball if her arm doesn't hurt to bad.
We are going to the chiro on Monday and see if her doc will give her some type of pain pill to tide her over till we are back and can go the doctor routine.

I told her we are spending enough doing this we will have to wait until Jan or Feb to go on another cruise, might be better anyway, we have waited so long, likely hard to get reservations now. But we will after the first of the year.

I have to get her arm situation taken care of first so I think the rest of the year may be taken up by that.  I really didn't want to do all this till after but in thinking about it, she might not be able to for awhile.  Let's hope its not a big issue.

This site has a nice patio set, chimnea (sp?), full hookups, include cable and wifi.  I also took a membership in KOA that gives you 10% off.  I know other places always ask if I belong to something for a discount so that should work.

I read where they have extra long pull through sites for really big rigs.

We likely could have saved some with a gravel site, back in but this is will be good.

I wish we could have gotten in Fort Wilderness, no transport was needed or you could rent a probably golf cart type of thing, stores on site, restaurants, and all kinds of stuff, maybe next time.

I'm reading all the stuff people have fall off, break off, quit functioning and am making sure I take extra check books and empty mastercard and a prayer that that doesn't happen to us.  Last time was enough. ::)

New tires, batteries, air helper bag, could have been worse, we had a close call with a wrecker driver.  Got a alignment when we got back that did wonders and my new valve extensions which make it so nice.  The air compresser Tom put on works for the airbags but I tried to air up the tires and it wouldn't, I wish I knew what to look at, it worked fine when he left.  Guess I need to check where it connects. So going to leave with a positive attitude but lots of extra money!! That I hope we don't have to use.  Of course gas is going up. It has enough pressure, he bought one that would, but something is amiss I guess.

We are staying in the Sunrise RV Park just east of Texarkana on I 30.  This is big, over 100 campsites, a nice place for over night.  Plenty of room to get around, clean, no trees but for over night that doesn't matter.  So far its very quiet and I would say its 3/4's full.  Good wifi and cable hookups included.  It's $42 but with any discount, Tom had been in the military they charged $32.  Fairly reasonable.

There is the cutest little camper next to us.  I think its a class B, an older couple plus 2 little dogs are in it. The funny thing is the motorhome isn't much bigger then the tow car, but its such a cute setup.  I don't think it has a bathroom in there, it looks to small but maybe.  Sue Anne and our junk wouldn't make it, we travel with way to much.

Miss Kitty is doing pretty good.  She traveled better then I thought she would.  We left one of the cabinets open above the bed and there are blankets up there, she gets up there.  But I've seen her sitting on the floor by the bed curled up.  Tonight she is wondering around.  The coach next to us has a cute little white dog sitting on the dash and she is interested in looking at it.  The door is open and and she can see over there.  She has been on the dash looking out.  This is the most outgoing I've ever seen her. I think we will take her in the future if it continues like this, she seems pretty satisfied.  She has just never really been out of the house in her life except to go the vet.

She hides during the day, most of the time, but when I sleep in the coach, she is beside me.  Sue Anne slept out there one night and me one so she wouldn't be lonely.  MIL probably thinks we are nuts as she doesn't have pets.  Black is still rather scared during the day but she hides and sleeps most of the day at home too.

She is eating good and plays in the evenings, and yes we plan to take her in the future, its working out well. She isn't really any trouble.

I had a wonderful time at our class reunion, really a good one.

We are now on our way to Florida are around Hopkinsville, Kentucky on the Pennyrile Parkway at a campsite behind a motel by the Pilot Truckstop here tonight. I had to leave Indiana today as the wind was to be awful tomorrow and if we had to wait 2 days to leave we were all screwed up on time.

We have to be back on the 10th for an MHMR meeting and the 11th to pick up hubby from the airport!

Then we are heading back up north to his mom's for Thanksgiving for a few days.

Wow, the gusts are hitting the motorhome so hard they woke me up, the thing is a rockin' at times.  No way can I drive in this. They are talking about it laying around 8PM tonight.  I may have to stay here till then for safetys sake. It says some are hitting 45mph.  My motorhome isn't like a diesel pusher that is heavier so I will wait it out if necessary. Going to try and go back to sleep, but man its really blowing now.  I think one of the antennas up top is blowing, something is up there. Kitty must hear it too, she is curled up beside me.

Do you have leveling jacks?  That sure helps when the wind gets going.  Without them it is like a boat at anchor in a busy harbor.  (been there a lot!)

By all means, never drive in situations that will scare you, will slow reaction time.

Did you get off on your way safely?  I sure hope so.  I am so excited to hear all about Florida for you and Sue Anne.  Have a safe trip.

Yes, we are fine.  But got in a 2 hour traffic jam in Atlanta, and didn't make a campground.  It got dark on us and raining, and I don't see the best at night.

I saw a Cracker Barrel and got off, I think this is McDonough, Georgia, not even sure.  I looked it up and if it is its truck and rv friendly, it said parking in the back.  Again its raining and I didn't go in to ask.  I got in the back under a light and put my slides out against the slide or non traffic side.  I see a semi bobtail out here so assume he is sleeping.  I figure if they tell me to move at least I will get a couple of hours rest and maybe they will tell me where a Walmart is.

We both got our baths, I'm fixing some soup, Sue Anne is asleep. We ate lunch at a Cracker Barrel earlier today so I would not hesitate to show them the receipt.  I could find nothing on the net to say if you can camp here overnight or not. I hope they don't make me move, my night vision is not the greatest, especially on a fast 5 lane road.  Man, I was planning on being through Atlanta and in a KOA Campground, I see there are lots of them on I 75 south through Georgia.

And yep, I have leveling jacks.  I was also delayed as I stopped for an oil change at a Cat dealer I saw.  Was pretty expensive, but they put in my synthetic, new filer, greased and lubed it and put in a new air filter, so not complaining, but was way to much money. 

Tom insists on changing every 3000 miles and I let it got 4600 on the synthetic, he said I needed to do it, so did. Will make him happy.

You continue to be resourceful and positive inyour travels.  I have never stayed at a Cracker Barrel but with bad weather and DARK  any port in a storm.  Hoping for  better times ahead in your travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom