Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did, it didn't start.  I just hooked up to electric and everything is charging now.  Will check when I get back.

Everything cranked right up.  I will check the battery cables in the morning and see if we have any corrosion and if the batteries may need water.  We did have a very long hot summer.

I need to be sure and take my little battery powered jumper too, its a life saver.

It was the house batteries not the chassis.

I just looked at temperatures in Nevada and am I seeing what?? is that right 10 degrees and 20?  I didn't know it got that cold there.  Hubby said maybe you should go in the other direction.  I need to see what their extended forecast is.

It looks like 60ish in the daytime and 40's at night, that's ok but I know its warmer in Florida.  Decisions decisions.

Can you believe this?  The folks that stopped and asked about our motorhome, the Winnebago and if its for sale came back today.  He wants to know which one we are keeping and I told him the diesel but I can't drive it till we get the roof work completed and Tom finishes going over it.  I said are you still interested in buying the Winnebago and he said yes we are.

I told him I'm taking a trip and wouldn't sell it till we get back, he said fine see him then.  So guys can you believe this, an unsolicited offer and knowing these folks most likely a cash offer for it. 

I have done some acts of kindness for people and when I do sometimes think I shouldn't have spent that money or whatever.  But any time I do it comes back 10 fold.  I think he would have been interested in either one of them.

He sees us working on things and probably decided that we take good care of our vehicles and we do.  He also does not care that the cruise isn't working, I told him that before. 

So I need to take very good care of my little motorhome. ;)

I have our clothing mostly loaded, still need my jeans but want to press them first.

Also additional food, then unplug, turn around and hook up the toad, check the tires and the fluids, which I'm sure are ok.  Hubby changed oil on my toad before leaving and the motorhome only has 500 miles on the last oil change.

My biggest problem is darling Sue Anne, she thinks she needs to take her bedroom.  Last week I unloaded several backpacks, how she lifts them I don't know.  If she used the stuff it might be different but one was in a bay and hasn't been out of there in months.  I tried to explain we don't need the extra weight.  So I finally made her mad and she brought the big heavy one in, I sneaked all the others out weeks ago and she hasn't even noticed yet. Next is bring the stuffed animals in.  2 of them is ok, more is overkill.

And we need the one spot in the bedroom under the vanity for kitties litter box.

I laughed at the guy about the other motorhome, the guy said oh no pets, however, wonder how he explained the pet door in the bathroom. ;), I didn't ask. They have had a cat and no odor so no issue there.  It has enough room in the bathroom for a litter box or can put in the bathtub.  Sue Anne is excited, it has a tub big enough for her to take a bath and 10 gallon water heater.  Fresh water tank of 95 gallons, grey of 58, and seems like black of 45, huge compared to this one.  Propane seems like is 27, not sure on that one.

So we are getting ready to run errands and get the house in order and closed up.

We are in Matagorda, I really like it here.  Temp is 74, sun isn't shining but still nice.  We are on the international waterway right where it goes in the ocean at Matagorda Bay.  The birds are feeding, there is a bird reserve on the island across the way.

We have been here before and I like it here.  I could stay the whole time here and be happy.

There is kind of a split section to this campground.  One side is pretty full and this side only had 2 or 3 so I opted for less crowded.  Perhaps, many left today.

Tomorrow, we are getting fishing license and going fishing for a bit.  I'm thinking the pier has been restored by now, it was damaged in the last hurricane.  I need to check, this is some kind of government RV park not a private one.  I also remember they had a very clean laundry room with good equipment and clean restrooms too.There is also private beach access further back.  Here its mainly fishing, there are also shrimp boats that go out here.  Someone told me in November they gather cattle from all around, swim them across, the river to the island on the other side and they winter there.  Been doing that for 100 years they tell me.

The wind was pretty brisk today so the motorhome liked its fuel :D

I panicked for a bit, went into the bedroom when I stopped for gas, it was smothering hot back there.  I thought, oh my gosh something must be burning up.  I felt the tires, nothing, looked under, nothing.  Checked the fluids, engine wasn't warm, fluids topped off.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong, told Sue Anne, I don't know, must be something.  Then I noticed, I had hit the switch on the dash between the radio and the safe t steer deal and had turned on the rear heater.  And man was it heating!  I didn't know it would get that hot. :-[  Just glad all is well.

I got the Verizon 4G hookup for internet.  Hubby was able to call on skype and good connectivity here too.  It didn't want to work in the house maybe something to do with our all metal roof.  yesterday I was thinking it was a mistake.  Of course Sue Anne had to have one too, so got hers going awhile ago.  Now we are connected.

It is very nice here, peaceful, clean, quiet, just a nice place.

Dinner for Miss Sue was a BLT and topped off with chocolate cookie dough ice cream.

For me 2 sausage and egg burritos, now going to have butter pecan ice cream with mine.

I thought I had everything but did forget my frozen meats from the freezer.  I tried to organize and go a section at a time to make sure I forgot nothing.  Thankfully I had included some thawed items as there is nothing out here for miles.  One little store in Matagorda, they have most everything but meat, but we are fine, plenty of food.

Oh wow, a guy just caught a big fish, they are taking pictures.  For me that would have been supper!  You can tell he is quite proud of it, I would be too.

It's beautiful here today, sunny, windy but not bad. We went to the wildlife center, walked down to the beach its all been reconstructed.  The pier out into the ocean is now open.  We got shrimp to fish with but going to wait until later in the evening. 

we drove to another beach but the sand ruts looked pretty deep and I'm not sure what my little Saturn would do, might get hung up so we just stayed for awhile then left.

We drove around town and saw some of the biggest palms I've ever seen, not real tall but huge around and they are trimmed nicely those things have to be very very old.

There is one grocery here and it sells gas and tons of stuff, but not hardly any meat. They have just a bit of meat, couple of chickens and some strip steaks that were over $9 each, wow.  I got some cheese but we have plenty of stuff to cook.  Then like I said out for lunch.

We love it here, quiet and peaceful, but a long long way to anything.

DD says she would like to live here, yes until she needed a Walmart fix she would.  Supposed to rain and storm tomorrow and be in the 80's then Wed be 69 and 49 , we will leave on Wednesday.

There is a huge bridge where barges and some ships I suppose come up, I didn't realize until today that it has locks on it.  I can't tell how far inland it goes but I like its part of the intercoastal waterway.

There is another Sightseer beside us, its a 2003, they have a young man about Sue Anne's age.  I have noticed several other people about my age with kids like Sue Anne.  I worry what will happen to all these young adults when us boomers get beyond taking care of them.  Most are still being cared for in private homes and the system is not prepared for the deluge they are going to have coming.  I guess this country just does things on an emergency basis instead of having contingencies for such things.

We are 70 miles from most anywhere.  The fellow with the other Sightseer is having problems. A person came out and looked at it and didn't know what was wrong.  Sounds like they have another coming tomorrow, $250 to come out.  They think its something to do with the electrical on the transmission.

Then today they managed to lock themselves out of their motorhome.  On the off chance it might work they asked if they could borrow our door key.  Would you believe it opened their door, I was sure glad.  They are very nice folks, brought us over some sausage they grilled, it was delicious. He said they are doing things wrong right now.

We went fishing and it started raining some so had to come back.  But its ok, things are good.

My big problem so far was the Direct TV box wouldn't come on.  TV did but no box.  Tried remote, tried box nothing.  Hubby said hummm, it did that before but I couldn't remember what I did.  He said well unplug it and plug in under the cabinet that might fix it.

So I'm up in the cabinet trying to dislodge it to unplug it.  I feel across the back of the box finally and the thing is unplugged! I replug it and turn the satellite on and everything works well.  Not sure how or why it came loose but all is well.  I hope the whole trip is like that.

It is just beautiful here, I hate to leave but we think we will tomorrow.

The wildlife program has a full time lady in the office for payments for the laundry, shower rooms, etc.  But there are also camp hosts here.  They are out today washing off all the concrete picnic tables.  the underlying area is fine gravel and they rake it to make it look pretty, the place is spotless, it was last year too.  I really hate to leave here, Sue Anne and I love it.  We are getting sporadic rain showers but not enough that they really bother you.  I'm still thinking of heading out on the long pier to fish some today.  Sue Anne has been playing on a game channel on tellie, she doesn't even want to get dressed today.

I am going to come down here more often, its about 3 hours from home, easy to get to and some place we enjoy.  The pelicans are out fishing today and other sea birds, a pleasure to watch.

The sites here are all 50 amp but have 30 also, these are $30 a night with full service.  The pull throughs are l o n g.  You could fit 2 30 ft plus cars on the one I'm on.  the laundry is $4 a load but that's for washing and drying, all the equipment is front loaders too.

Ok, time to fix lunch, think it will just be deviled eggs today, I brouhgt a bunch of mine and boiled them last night and will whip it up. I'm just happy to sit here and look at the water and listen to the ocean, it just mesmerizes me.

I'm pretty sure the folks next door got their problem fixed.  the mechanic was under the motorhome some and was here an hour or so and I heard it running and the levelors going up so I think it must have been something minor, good for them. 

We are leaving tomorrow, we had a good time here just like we did last year.  We went fishing again tonight, didn't catch anything in the Colorado River but fun anyway.

Tomorrow we are going to Bay City then over to highway 71 up to Alt 90 and driving it to Sequin at least then decide if we want to go on 10 or another route.  Think I may pick up 46 to go around San Antonio and again intersect with 10. We aren't in a hurry and I'm not wanting to drive like a maniac. 

Anyone comes down this way, there is a small grocery, they have a little of everything but meat not really and no store in town that has meat.  There are a few restaurants but they stagger days open.  We had lunch one day at the Lighthouse, they also have an RV park there.  The food was very good, real potatoes used for french fries, she said also their onion rings are real.  I had a very good chef salad.  There is a new bar and grill being built, they have the slab so likely to have a good place to eat shortly.  But we still enjoy it, I just forgot to load the stuff I had ready for my freezer.  But we had plenty of food.  When we get to a bigger city we will stop and get meats to grill and cook.

So off we go tomorrow.

Carolyn,

If you take Hwy 46 around San Antonio when you cross Hwy 281 you will be 13 miles south of our lot.  We are east of 281 and on the north side of Hwy 306.  If you decide you would like to stop for a night or two we have a buddy pad with full h/u.  You can call us at 262-442-3885.  It would be great to meet both of you.

Thanks for the invite, we shall see.

We ended up not leaving today, the wind is blowing 35mph and above, I'm not driving in that others can, but not me.  Not sure I would even drive the diesel pusher in it.

It's cooling off right now its 62, but supposed to blow in the cold.  I decided since I was here I would wash the bed linens, they don't need it yet, but this way won't have to do it at a perhaps crummy laundromat, this one is nice and clean with good machines. And also the towels and stuff, so one load only.  I'm sitting in the laundry room now.

I'm going to get everything stowed away, at 39 degrees in the morning I won't want to be out doing that, bad enough unhooking the water, and sewer, brrrrr.

I'm trying to think what I will cook for lunch and dinner.  DD has some spaghetti left from last night and jello.  I have some home canned bean soup I might fix, just no onions, but that's ok.  Need to check and see if I brought some pickled peppers, they are good in beans.

In this laundry room there are louvers at the top of the room with a screen, it sounds like banshees howling in here.  Would really really be spooky on a dark night.

I saw the shrimp boats come in early today, I guess they gave up on fishing.  They tell me the red tide is here and that the other day it was really bad.  A lady said they were coughing and choking we were too, she said that causes you to do that.  I never heard of that and it did stop, interesting, I thought we were coming down with something.

I was just reading on weather bug, where we are is 3 ft above sea level, wouldn't want to be here in a hurricane, wow.  I see the sea rds are all huddled together and sitting in the water.

Thankfully the wind is blowing from the opposite side and I don't have to pull the slides in, its not blowing the slide awnings. At least the sun is shining, so not dreary.  Not much of a trip to report yet! ::)  Sue Anne is back in the motorhome, on her computer or possibly playing games.  She found a game channel on the televsion and has been playing games on it. She is happy as can be and looking forward to taking off tomorrow.  She travels well.

I'm going to get everything stowed away, at 39 degrees in the morning I won't want to be out doing that, bad enough unhooking the water, and sewer, brrrrr.

When we're leaving in the morning and it's going to be cold, I put away everything but the electric the night before so I don't have to handle cold, wet, hoses.

Carolyn,

I'm so glad to hear you're on the road again.  You've been working really hard recently and you deserve a bit of rest.  Travel safely!

ArdraF

When hubby called this evening he was teasing me that I'm only about 3 hours from home.  I said well I sure drove a long way to get here!

We are in Comfort, Texas tonight, half way between Boerne and Kerrville.  I skirted San Antonio by going north around it, just didn't want to deal with it, probably could have driven through it faster but didn't.  We went through Shiner, Texas, what a pretty little town, it says its the cleanest little town in Texas and I believe it.  Also Boerne looks like it has lots of shops all over.  I have noticed where there is no Walmart most of the towns have a lively downtown and many shops, seems like they do bring in cheap stuff but it destroys all the small store owners, such a shame.

We saw at New Braunsfelds one of the places where you rent the tubes to go tubing on the Comal River, we intend todo that one day.

I have A Good Sams book that details all the exits on the interstates and what is there.  It said this one had an RV USA park and had LP.  My tank this morning said 3/4's full but after driving was 1/4.  I believe that as the furnace ran a lot last night and its a small tank.  I didn't want to run out as I stocked the freezer today.

You should see the beauty parked next to us.  Apparently the guy leaves it here and comes and uses it.  It's a Volvo truck with a coach built on it, it is just awesome.  I would guess $300k to $400k, but something like that is meant to be driven not just parked.  If I were just going to park it, I would get a TT not that, you could save a lot of bucks. I believe the park host said it was made in Canada, don't recall the name of it.

I thought my Direct TV box wouldn't turn on again.  The TV did and the satellite was searching, I thought well just to many trees.  My computer started beeping and I plugged it in and it still did, I thought electric on?  Tried the microwave and nothing, so went out and found out I didn't have it on.  Sometimes I wonder about me, sigh, but so much runs off of batteries.  So tried the satellite again and it clicked right on, found the satellite.

Tomorrow will have to stay on I 10 as there are not a lot of direct roads further west I get so will move along a lot faster I'm sure.  I'm just not in that much of a hurry and dear hubby thinks you ought to be just getting there.  I like to look at the scenery along the way.  It was a beautiful day today for driving for sure.  Hope tomorrow is another nice day. 

Oh it's fun to just putter along and enjoy the scenery.

It seems the more I travel, the slower I go, reveling in the magic of being a free spirit, wafting across the lands.

Somebody mentioned handling "cold wet hoses" for unplugging in cold weather. I've discovered leather work gloves and how WONDERFUL they are for handling all the umbilical cords and leveling boards when needed.

No more cold, dirty, mucky hands for me!  When I am finished, I wash them off, shake them dry, and store them in a handy spot.

Back
Top Bottom