Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have leather ones and rubber ones.  I use the rubber ones if I have any issues with the black and grey drain.

On Alt 90 it wasn't a problem not much traffic going our way so we could amble along at 55 and 60, a comfortable speed for me nor on 60, so a nice drive.

I got my oven lit.  I hadn't used it for a year so likely air or dust or something.  Finally I lit a top burner and it must have helped draw the gas in.  So now I'm baking brownies, not something we need of course, ::) but what the heck.

We finally got by HEB and I have meat in the freezer now and some other items I was out of.  For Sue Anne and I eating out all the time causes us digestive issues so I cook in more then we eat out.

I then had a hamburger and she had an individual pizza.  But we have to add more veggies, we need to really watch our diet when traveling like this.
I have all kinds of foods packed in here!  I've always have a full pantry.

So Miss Mermaid where are you right now?

It ended up getting 25 here last night.  Sure glad I had the propane filled but we were toasty warm.  The blinds we put in the living room, make a huge difference.  I would like to put one over the bed but doubt we do now, no point.  Nothing froze as all the water is running.  There is a vent in the bathroom where the heat goes between the wall and under the floor.  I took it off one time to see what it was for.  I guess that keeps it warm under there to a pretty low temp.

Need to check everything and get going.  We are pokey, if hubby was with us he would be up at 5 and we would probably be in Vegas in 2 days knowing him. ;)  But off we ramble.  Sue Anne is happy as can be and singing this morning so that makes it all worth while.  I like to see her having a good time.

And kitty is tucked in under the couch on her fuzzy blanket for most of the day.  Don't know where she will hide and sleep in the other motorhome as she will have no access to get under the couch.

We made it to Fort Stockton this afternoon, should have gotten to El Paso but we stopped for lunch, for rest stops, and for gas. 

I hit some 7% grades and we ended up driving up them about 60 with overdrive off. Hubby said don't run it over 4000 rpm's.  with overdrive off at 60 it flirted between 3500 and at 65 hit 4 so I backed off.  I hope I did that right.  There were a lot of hills and there were 2 places I got down to 55.  If I left overdrive on it ran about 2000 to 3000 but it shifted and I didn't want it to strain the transmission.  I'm not used to driving on hills like that with a motorhome.

I started out with no wind and that was great then of course we had a pretty stiff breeze for quite a few miles, but it laid some.  I got my air bags set at 58psi, my tru steer in a good place.  Had the front tires at about 75psi, I pulled the Michelin chart and used the pressure for the weight from that schedule some time ago. The back tires at about 80.  Everyplace I go tries to put 80 to 90 pounds in the front and the motorhome is undriveable like that, the front literally bounces down the road.  I had to air up my toad tires, they were 25 so put 30 in them.  I drove 65 a lot of the way got up to 70 several times but since the motorhome was already drinking gas and I mean drinking I slowed down, the wind was enough without adding a lot of speed.  The traffic was really light. Still with all my stopping we didn't get as far as i wanted to.  I was hoping to get to El paso, but I stopped after 4PM too.  I just don't want to be searching for a place after dark to stay, my eyes are not that good in strange places at night. 

I got a package from the RV park and there are all kinds of things to see around here.  I told Sue Anne we will come back this way sometime and make it our destination to roam around and see things.  I just don't have time to do that right now.

This are sure some very desolate areas out there.  In the most desolate once in awhile I would see a house, I can't even imagine living some place like that.  And  you would see old stock tanks for livestock and wonder how in the world anything could live on that dessert.  In fact this drought appears to be so bad I saw cactus dying.  I would think that would be very strange.

I checked my oil,  clear and full, also checked tranny fluid, still pink and full so all appears to be well.

We had a great driving day today.  The wind wasn't bad at all, oh some gusts and stuff but I managed to purr along at about 60 to 65 all day and did great on gas usage, stopped once and only got half a tank.  We stopped a few times, I cooked BLT's for lunch.  We could have made Deming, New Mexico but stopped in Las Cruces about 3.  I needed to go to the grocer and pick up stuff and I wanted to do laundry and found a nice RV place, the Siesta RV Park just about 3/4's of a miles from everything.  We unhooked the toad, went shopping and went to Cracker Barrel for dinner.  I'm now doing laundry, my most detested chore when traveling.  I had to pry Sue Anne out of some socks and jams she was hanging on to and I did so I could wash them.

Also she is a good little traveler but she just HAD to got shopping at Walmart this afternoon so we killed several birds with one stone.

We ended up unhooking the toad and eating dinner at Cracker Barrel too.

Hubby was talking about a newer motorhome again tonight, I'm going we haven't sold this one yet, haven't used the other one yet, why?  He goes well you will probably end up dragging me along I imagine.  I suppose I can find some old guys in some of the parks to talk to.  (I wonder if he thinks we are young, old guys?? :eek:)  Sounds like the idea is growing on him.  I don't say anything about doing stuff, I just let him think its his idea, so we shall see.  What I can't see is getting a newer one, laying out more cash and me maybe driving it only 5 more years or so.  I don't know if i will be able to drive or should beyond that.  I suppose he could.  We will see how much longer he works, the reliability of the diesel we are getting and things will fall into place along the way. Now he says there are some really nice ones out there for $100k.  Oh my.

I could see getting one that has a slide that is a bunkhouse and then Sue Anne would have her own room so to speak and redoing the top bunk with drawers for her.  Now that would be nice then noone would be stuck sleeping on a couch. But I want to use the one we have first and sell this one.  I think we still have time and some good years to plan things yet.

Carolyn,

I'm sure your hubby will be able to find people to talk with in campgrounds!  All he has to do is open something on the exterior and it's like bees finding honey!  ::)  If you ever attend one of our rallies, everyone works on everyone else's rig and the guys have great camaraderie.  He'd love it!

ArdraF

Tom, is a very friendly outgoing person, he would be fine.  I'm not sure why he didn't want to do it before.  For a long time he planned on going back home or spending time with his friends near us.  Since they have all passed away and he is finally realizing that back home is never going to be the same, he is changing his mind i guess.  It's getting to the point about all we have left is each other, not good, but just part of life.

We had a good driving day yesterday but I was exhausted last night. And for the first time about noon I got sleepy.  I had to stop and take a nap and then we ate lunch and moved on.  Sue Anne and I went to bed early last night.  She about 9:30 and me 10.  I think we both just died.

We stopped at a place called Picacho Peak RV Resort, its more a community but they are renting spackes for TT's and motorhomes, but a lot of the park model houses in here.  Just a clean very nice little over 55 community.

We saw some beautiful scenery yesterday with the clouds and rain over the mountains, was just pretty to me.

There is an ostrich farm also a place for people to visit there.  We are close enough to Vegas that we will get there today or tomorrow so I'm taking her.  I'm sure she will enjoy it and will be a nice break from driving.

I plan to stay in Vegas through probably next Sunday.

I was going to take 10 west further then 95 up to Vegas.  The camp host here told me to go through Phoenix and take 93 up, he said it cuts off a lot of miles and now there is a bridge over the river that will accomodate TT's and motorhomes, thoughts on that??

Shortest and the great southwest --you'll appreciate the desert. If you've the time when you leave Vegas take 95 to I-10 and stop at Quartzsite for a day an look around. Our annual rally is in January when the desert comes alive with RVers. Bring Tom  with you too, when he can come!

I will take 93 then, I've got to get moving this morning, we are lingering way to long.

Traveling misadventures today but made good by nice folks.

I was on Loop 303 going around Phoenix on the north side.  I went across a railroad track that was really rough.  After that I started getting this sucking noise and a harmonic type of whistle.  I figured it knocked off a vaccum hose or something.  I stopped and looked all around could find nothing so went on.  The next town was Wickenburg and nothing after that till Kingman, I'm thinking this thing isn't going to go 150 miles like this.  It didn't have much pickup, we were up to 50 but it wasn't right.

So we get into Wickenburg and lo and behold on our right is an RV repair shop.  Talk about luck.  I told them what I thought it was they said give us a few minutes we have to finish this and unhook your toad, so I did.  The older man came out, I had opened the hood in front and another guy.  The other one said I see your problem right now, I says you are getting.  He said nope look at your muffler. Apparently the railroad track I went over broke the tailpipe bracket or maybe one of the rough roads did.  The tailpipe had bent down and was cutting the inside of the back left inside tire.  Holy moley.  It was almost crimped shut.  The guy took a sawsall and cut it off past the muffler.  We saved it so in Vegas I can get one made.  Ok, one problem solved.  They were nice as can be.  That shop was called Arizona Auto Tech on US Hwy 6089, Wickenburg, Az.  He told me where 2 tire shops were and let me leave the toad there. The first is big O's, they didn't have anything that size.  So I went to the second Wickenburg Tire, he didn't either but they ordered one and will be here tomorrow.  I asked if he minded if I camped in his parking lot tonight.  He said no problem, had me park next to his sign so I could plug into electric.  He even had one of his guys take me back to pick up my car so I didn't have to drive the motorhome.  So here we are, his name is Jessie.

And they say there aren't nice people in the world.

Come to think of it, I bet what broke that was a piece of tire I hit going through Phoenix, I bet that broke the bracket.  I asked bubby if it would hurt to drive it with the tailpipe like that he said no.  So while in Las Vegas we will have a tailpipe fabricated for it.

I said lucky it didn't hit the drive shaft or something he said you sure are.  So we are about $560 lighter, but none the worse for wear.  Only thing, I normally have my water tank full, I thought it was 3/4's this morning, when the motorhome was level that was what it said, but its only a 1/3.  So I told Sue Anne we will take light baths tonight and eat out.  I've been teasing her that we spent our Vegas money, she said do I have to pay for dinner. I said nope.

I am thankful it was nothing more then that.  That is something we can easily fix.  As hubby said it won't take you long to get there tomorrow, we would have likely made it today but oh well.  Alls well that ends well. And talk about good luck, we sure had it with having the shops we needed.

And we just happen to be across from a nice area and near a Dennys, though we may look around a bit.

Carolyn,

I'm so glad that you were able to come across an RV place without being in the middle of nowhere and having a blowout or worse.  You have good kharma around you and no doubt you have earned it.

I can't wait to hear about your time in Las Vegas and Sue Anne must be beside herself with excitement and to see it through her eyes will be remarkable for you both.

Wishing you all the best in your trip to Vegas.

We like Vegas, we has been here by plane, by car, and by both many times before but never by motorhome.  She always enjoys it and this time I think there will be quite a few new places since we have been here.  But I miss some of the old cheap little dives on the strip, now its mega everything.

I still have to find somewhere to get my tailpipe fabricated while we are out there, but that shouldn't be that hard, I will do a search online.

Yes, I have to admit I have always been lucky in my travels.  We were always near someplace and never had a hassle.

Here the guy told me the sign was on so now I have electric.  The RV is parked under it and I could put out my slides so we are in hog heaven.  Ate at a delicious place called Anita's.  Found a bakery and got goodies for breakfast.  I told Sue Anne if we aren't careful we are going to blimp up!!  This is a gorgeous little town.

I saw a small RV park area right down town, looks like it holds about 10, but it said you can park only with previous arrangements.  But they have revitalized this little town, its walking friendly and just darling.

I was saying how nice the RV guy was and the tire place and a guy in there knew this fellow.  I told hubby we still have a lot of fine people out here in the US and we need to remember that.

So glad you found Anita's!  We've had many impromptu forum gatherings for meals there.  I wanted to recommend that restaurant earlier today and couldn't remember the name. (Rampant CRS) 

I'm enjoying your messages about your trip.  Hope you continue to have great travel luck and that you and Sue Ann enjoy your stay in the "wild" west.

Margi

The food was way to much but it sure was good.

We also found Nana's Bakery and got 2 blueberry somethings, not sure what they were called and a piece of apple pie for Sue Anne, she had some awesome looking goodies.

It is just a neat little town for sure.  Not a good reason for us to have to stop, but glad it was here. 

We were going across 10, just outside Phoenix today, I saw a Sightseer on the west bound side stpped.  No way I could have stopped and asked, but it made me think of you.  Then tonight I see you were in the area today, but not likely you.  Not down on 10 anyway. 

We are at LazyDays Tucson campground.  Very nice spot!

Today was interesting for sure.

We knew we had to get a tire for the toad, I didn't see the problem until after we ordered the other.  We have determined that the piece of tire I hit on the freeway going through Phoenix is what caused my problem.  I just didn't see how a railroad track could do all  that.  There was a cut on the tire on the same side as the problem with the motorhome tire.  The guys at Wickenburg said I could get that tire in Kingman, it was holding air and we were not driving fast. Got our new tire this morning and got it on, I had the guy tork all my other tires as I didn't know when they had last been done.

We sure went up some grades today and I saw tons of Joshua Trees, I wanted to stop and take pictures but didn't see a good place.  We went over Burro Creek and since I was driving I couldn't look down, Sue Anne said it went way way way down there.  Then we finally got to the top and pulled over. I don't know if the poor guy driving the Swift truck ever got to the top.  He was down to 40mph when I passed him!  There were 2 fuel tanks there towing double tankers and I guess cooling things down.  there was a little old building there and it said this is Nothing, Arizona, population 4.  I'm sure it was empty. So I decided we would stop and fix lunch, Sue Anne had a microwave pizza and I had a hamburger sandwich and we took off again. I haven't driven in the west all that much.

I told the truckers I could use something with more power, they said so could they. Hubby said I just worry to much that its fine and I just need to drive it and it will shift down when it needs to.  I'm always afraid I will break something so I know he's right.  The one guy says now be careful after you go through a certain area the police are always there.  I says no worry unless they ticket me for going to slow it sure won't be for speeding.  They got a good chuckle out of that.

We got in lots of road construction, driving very very slowly, down to 25mph as they were building a new road for miles and miles. I was still intrigued with the scenery to me it was just so different.

We got within 8 miles of Kingman and I heard a beeping, I couldn't figure out what it was.  I kept asking Sue Anne and she didn't hear me, I thought it was an alarm clock we have in here.  So I pulled off at a Love's there and found it was the carbon monoxide detector in the back bedroom where she was laying down.  OH MY GOD!  I opened windows, got her out of the back and turned on the fan.  Tom and I had talked about the exhaust and it needing fixed as quickly as I could and I had already decided to look into it when I got in Kingman, but I didn't really think it would do that while we were moving, idling yes, I could see that.  I had made sure all our detectors had new batteries before I left, don't even take one of those out or let the batteries go dead.  It likely saved Sue Anne.  I was only going to drive 8 more miles anyway, but still, who knows what it could have done.

So then I see my air bags are down and won't air that just happened, they had been fine because I look at the gauge all the time, humm. So I'm on my way to Kingman, 8 miles, made her sit in the front with me, opened 2 side windows just in case and no more beeping. I had asked at the truck stop and she told me where to get off in Kingman for tires.  I did and stopped at a Goodyear shop. He could get me a tire but he said they had an RV shop too right around the corner so I came here.

They got my new tire on my toad.  I told them about my tailpipe and they sent it out to have one made in the morning.  So the guys weren't busy and they checked under the coach.  They found the heat from the tailpipe, yes the heat had melted my air line for the air bags in back.  While there the guy said I see a red line melted too, do you know what it is.  I'm thinking and realize it is the airline to my toad brakes.  This is unreal.  So they fix both of these for me and said they saw nothing else that was bothered. 

So I didn't have to drive the coach anywhere they put us us here, the 2nd night at a business!  They could supply electric and I could fill my water tank, I had used most of it last night.  So while they are putting on a new tire I went over to Flying J, dumped my tanks and filled my propane tank as its been cold at night. They said they have people with motorhomes that have to stay for days at times so nothing new for them.

Here we are about 100 miles from Vegas and still not there.  But I still have my good karma and I think an angel sitting on my shoulder.  I will always always make sure I have a carbon monoxide detector in my RV's for sure, I do in my home and going to check and make sure when I get home.

It's just odd how much damage that something as simple as a piece of tire can cause to a coach and car.  I know anytime we go anywhere things can and do happen.  As others say all you need it is a checkbook, how true, how true.

And I made sure to keep the tailpipe they cut off and they took it to the guy that is fabricating one for the motorhome, so all will be well.

Sue Anne wanted McD's tonight and she got it plus a couple of kisses, alls well.

Well that was quite a day you both had and I am so glad you are both fine and you were able to figure out what that beeping was. 

I hope you get going soon to Vegas and all of the rest of your trip is worryfree.  God bless both of you..

The only place we stopped at Phoenix was north of there on 303 Loop and we did pull into a shopping center because I heard whistling also on 303.  I knew something was wrong but couldn't see anything wrong.  I'm thankful it didn't cause an immediate problem in the middle of that Phoenix freeway. I couldn't miss the durn piece of tire but I will do everything to miss one in the future, wow, expensive hit I'm sure.  And the darn tire prices have raised from last year or because they had to transport the tire in. 

Seems like me and motorhome tires seem to have a lot of fun. :eek: 

I couldn't miss the durn piece of tire but I will do everything to miss one in the future, wow, expensive hit I'm sure.

We call those shredded tires "road alligators".  They are usually retreads that have seperated (another thread and one of my soapbox issues) and have brads/steel things sticking up from the inside of the tire.  I will do most anything to avoid hitting them.

Glad you are both safe and in good hands.....angels watching over you is a good thing.    I try not to go anywhere without God and his army of angels  :D

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom