Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck on your trip and have a happy Thanksgiving.  It figures the weather will get worse as Thanksgiving approaches.  My daughter says mother nature is bipolar.

We had a great time, no motorhome issues, except.  Tom had changed out the light bulbs but he decided the first evening the aim wasn't right. He is still amazed these things get out of the factory like they do. So after dinner at Cracker Barrel he was under the motorhome adjusting the 2 screws on each one, wow, what a difference even I can see.  He wants to re aim them when home but it did the trick for us.
But don't let it fool you that all went well.  Read the rest how the saga unfolded. I had written this on another board so just lifted and posted here.

We are home, wasn't going to drive straight through but stuff happens, a story is coming up.

Thanksgiving was really good, but the drive up was hell, high winds, rain, awful.  Had to pull over several times and wait out storms.  But we were all happy we had the motorhome, made it pleasant for us.

It got really cold in Indiana last night, rain, ice on the car and motorhome before we left but sunny and clear today.  It was really good driving.  We were going to stay overnight somewhere and drive in today.

Sue Anne was pouting because we had stopped at a Flying J to fuel upabout 4 yesterday afternoon and said she didn't get anything, sigh.  So I told her while we were still busy go get something.  2 packs of gum satisified her, its just the something, like a kid.  I was in the motorhome straightening and heard somebody screaming blood murder, couldn't figure out what was going on so went to the door.  So don't you know there is Sue Anne on the ground in the driveway, she had tripped or stepped or something there and fallen.  She said mom my leg went this way and it went that way, have no idea what she was talking about.  Some nice guy was trying to help her and I tried but of course with her right shoulder we couldn't do anything.  I told him my husband was inside if he could get him and about then Tom came out.  He mainly managed to get her in the motorhome.  Thankfully I had ice packs and hydrocone for her shoulder.  I gave her a couple and tried to figure out what happened, we think it may be some torn tendons or something don't know yet.  But I medicated her iced it down immediately after getting her in bed.  And the combination really helped.  We would have to stop and help her to the bathroom, but I kept the swelling under control. Other then an xray and stuck somewhere out there don't know what more they would have done at that point.This happened around Memphis.

So Tom and I decide the best thing to do is drive on in. It was obviously not broken or not broken through, she could put it down, wiggle her foot, but lots of pain and could not stand on it. Tom said what would we have done in a truck or car?  We could not have gotten her to bathrooms or anything, I guess a hospital.

So anyway, we got her home.  Our tenant had his mom's wheelchairs, he and Tom got her in it and got her down the motorhome steps.  I had given her a pill so she wouldn't hurt so bad.

Has the remodeling paid off, we wheeled her in her room and could to her bathroom, it has a wide pocket door.  Her bed is a tempurpedic adjustable so easy for her.  We got her in bed and setup.  We want to see how she is today before deciding whether to take her to the ER today or the doc Monday.  I hesitate to on a holiday weekend, more experienced docs on holiday.  But she definitely needs looked at so will see how it goes today. I was so tired we all slept for a few hours then I got ready to take her to the ER.

We have already discussed the new master remodel we want to do.  We are wondering how she will get a bath.  So we have already decided that we will widen the door to our bath when we do it and our bedroom, then put a roll in shower for a wheelchair, to prolong our ability to live here.

It will work out but I'm exhausted.  I had to sit down and unwind for a bit before I get a shower and go to bed.  Likely later today going to the ER for xrays to see what the situation is and go from there. 

And of course Tom leaves again Wednesday.

A few hours sleep and 5 hours at the ER to find out Sue Anne has a fractured tibia.  They put a soft splint on it.  Get this, she is not to walk on it without crutches or a walker, she can't use crutches with her arm, right now I'm not quite sure what I will do.

Our tenant has a couple of wheelchairs he loaned us of his mom's but they gave me a scrip for one and I'm going to see if I can find a smaller one that she and I can get around easier.  Also he has a shower chair, and I think the commode seat, so that will help. 

They gave her pain pills, something different that really helps her.  But I cannot lift on her or anything with the fracture I have.  Not sure how this is going to work out. I will work it out because I have to but boy am I tired right now. 

Piles of laundry, just kind of feeling overwhelmed this evening. I bought dinner at Subway tonight so that was good.

Just have to get organized tomorrow and see how it goes.

This was yesterday evening.

Things are going ok.  I got a really good nights sleep. Tom wouldn't let Sue Anne wake me up early and I slept until 8 this morning.  I went to bed last night about 10.  Took my last hydrocone and with being exhausted I was out like a light.

So today, everything looks better and brighter,

Our tenant, Mr Ed, had 2 bath chairs he got for his mom.  The bigger one is just perfect, it was missing a rubber leg and Tom went up and got one.  Sue Anne's adjustable beds rollers won't lock for some reason so he also got those rubber things to sit the legs in so it won't slide when she gets on it.  We have it up next to her desk where she can put drinks and things.  She has the head raised and the leg some and is pretty comfy.

We were able to work out the logistics to get her a bath, heated the floor up in her bathroom to 80 and she was one happy camper.  Thank God Tom made the doors in there wide enough for a wheelchair and we put in the adjustable shower bar where we can raise the extendable shower way up and way down.  It wasn't that hard and she is determined to help.  Also this is forcing her to use her right arm so a bit of therapy there is going on by itself.

I have to run to the grocer soon we are out of a few things so going to pick her up one of those elevated toilet seats while I'm out and about.

As long as she can use the stiff soft cast we are going to be fine, now if they need a hard one, I'm not sure about that, she itches so much that would drive her and me crazy, so here's hoping. Have to make an ortho visit tomorrow, we are going to one near and with a good rep.

Starting a pot of veggie soup for dinner tonight, snacking for lunch.
Getting my laundry caught up.
And found my pillow with the center depressed is perfect to sit on around the house, much much better then the donut hard pillow.  My little fracture is coming along better also, been what 2 or 3 weeks now?  Doc said put stress on it so I'm sure I am so helping it heal.

I'm hoping Sue Anne's isn't to bad and thankful I had the good judgement to take her in for evaluation instead of waiting.

This is new, the hospital ER radiologist gave me her xrays and MRI on a DVD and I imagine the interpretation documents also, to take with me.  Interesting isn't it.

So I am thinking Sue Anne and I are stuck home for likely 6 to 8 weeks.  She and I in our whole lives have never broken a bone till we got the motorhome, hummm, must be to tough for us! :eek:

So Sue Anne is saying how much she loves it.  Tom is talking about MAYBE getting an older BIGGER DP when he retires that he can work on, not all the new stuff, but definitely with slides to use.  I'm laughing to myself.

The really funny part is here is a man that says he doesn't really want our cat, she is 14 and never had much to do with her taking her with us.  He is standing in the middle of the motorhome at midnight saying is she done yet?  I'm tired but laughing to myself.  We helped Sue Anne to the bathroom, both attend to our needs, get a drink.  Black likes to stay under the couch when driving.  So I call her to come out when we stop.  It takes her about 3 walk arounds and sniffing before she drinks the water she wants, eats, a bit and pottys and he is standing ther patiently waiting.

I forgot to change her litter box before leaving and wanted him to change it.  I guess he didn't want the truck drivers seeing him do this so he just takes out the bag and gets another bad and we are putting litter in it out of a bay.  I never thought I would live to see the day my husband would do stuff like that.

Despite the issues with Sue Anne we did have a good time.  She will heal and I will too and we will be off again.

In fact she is mad right now that we can't go somewhere and be out and about so I don't think she will be down long.

I see a movie or movies this week and dinner out on our horizon.  Good thing we have the little tow car too, she couldn't get in and out of the trucks right now.

And on top of this I got home to letters giving me a $22 a month SS raise and Sue Anne a $1, she is all excited about her dollar.  I have income from my little farm and rentals I guess is how they are calculating it, its from 2009.

So we are still trucking, just some detours here and there.

Carolyn,

Having had a broken elbow and broken wrist from two different motorhome-related accidents, I sure can sympathize with you both.  Just do what the doctors say, especially when it comes to the therapy which is VERY important to regain full use of the limbs.  Don't give it up too early.  Now go enjoy your forced rest!  Maybe read a book....

ArdraF

So I have to ask.  How did you get MH related broken arms?  Is there something to be careful about?

Here is Sue Anne laid up with her leg, had to rearrange her room, but this will work.

I am so glad we all have these beds, though this set of sheets isn't really big enough, I have others from LandsEnd that are.

After her bath, pills, lunch, and all I think she is doing pretty durn good, I wouldn't mind to kick back myself!

Attachments

• Sue Anne laid up for now with her leg1.JPG
    Sue Anne laid up for now with her leg1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 65
I haven't had to fuss at her about elevating the leg.  I noticed today the swelling has gone down so I know its helping.  I'm hoping its merely a hairline fracture and there won't be to much down time.  To the doc at 3 tomorrow, so should know more then.

So I have to ask.  How did you get MH related broken arms?  Is there something to be careful about?

Tony, the first one was when we were cleaning the exterior just before a rally.  I was on the 6-foot ladder, looked back, saw a place I missed, broke my own rule to always have one hand holding on and LET GO!, reached back and off I went.  Luckily I caught an awning rail long enough to kick the ladder out of the way or it would have been much worse.  Broken elbow with three surgeries and lots of physical therapy.  Now avoid ladders and advise others to do the same.

The second one was carrying "stuff" out of the motorhome after a trip.  Had on shorts and my shorts caught on a protruberance in the door jamb (part of the locking mechanism).  Being that my arms were full I hung there for a while until my shorts tore and I went out onto the cement floor.  Broken wrist that time but only one surgery to straighten and install a nice piece of titanium.  We now tape the protruberance when we're going in and out before and after trips during shorts weather.

There's always something that can trip you up, so evaluate your surroundings and don't do something stupid like letting go when you're on a ladder!

ArdraF

Just to add to the concern about safety, I stepped out of the MH last spring and at the same time started to turn to go into the garage and wound up on the pavement.  4 weeks later, arthroscopic knee surgery and 2 1/2 months of physical therapy and no work on the MH all summer long.

BE CAREFUL around these things, they can bite big time!!

Be especially careful when on the roof as a couple of our Framily have had severe injuries that way too.

ArdraF said:
The second one was carrying "stuff" out of the motorhome after a trip.  Had on shorts and my shorts caught on a protruberance in the door jamb (part of the locking mechanism). 
And given that I'm, err, wider than many, that would be of concern to me.  Thanks for the warning.

Tony

We hope to finally take off to Padre Island about the 15th of the month.  Sue Anne is supposed to be done with therapy on the 14th, we shall see.  I bought her a different knee brace today, she is going to therapy 3 times a week.

I hope it is warm.  I looked and saw a KOA campground, need to research to see what else is down there as it is an expensive campground.  The good part is they have waterfront parking. 

This would be the first time I ever pulled a toad, will have to see how that goes.  Will check with Tom after I hook it up to make sure I've done it right. Hope nothing else happens to stop us.

I'm kind of wondering, Sue Anne, had taken a ton of Levaquin over several years as she has diverticulosis, she has even had a colon resection in years past.  When she would have a flair up the docs would give it to her.  Sometimes she ended up in the ER and they would administer a whole bag of it over 12 hours.  She has really improved in that respect, but from reading all the issues with tendons and other issues after people used it, I'm starting to wonder.  I think I will mention it to her doctor.  I mean a knee issue, then her shoulder and arm, hummm. And she complains of pain all over.

FINALLY, WE HOPE!

Sue Anne and I are headed to Canton Trade Days tomorrow.  That is if this 30mph wind lays.  It's supposed to tonight when this cold front gets in.  Tom has worked on the motorhome, aiming the lights, adding a satellite dome, checking tires, etc.  He had the lights on a long time and I think other stuff the other night.  Dead batteries.  I did get the generator started and jumped the chassis with my portable battery charger, that thing is wonderful and its running now. I need to hook up the big charger and charge them all.  I've put water in the tank 3/4's and flushed the antifreeze out.  Food and clothes in, wonder what I will forget. I guess his trickle charger didn't work??

We have corn planted 6 80 ft rows at a rental property plus cantaloupe and watermelon.  We were watering once a week for 2 hours, that isn't working, so set up a timer to water every 48 hours, the wind is blowing so hard it dries it right up.  We have had 1 inch of rain here since January.  Without irrigation it would all be dead.

I know gas is terrible but we have already stayed home longer then I wanted to.  I know I won't be driving the 8 to 10k I did last year, what a shame.  But I'm thankful we got to do that much the first year.  Just have to see how it plays out.  I'm still planning on Yellowstone in August, crossing my fingers for that one. Hope all of you are getting to travel as much as you want to.  Also obviously I have let all this other interfere with the fun.

Glad your finally able to get out again.  We are headed out for the first trip this year.  Just going up the road to a great little camp ground we went to last year.  Hope the line of storms that went thru Alabama get thru here today and out of the way.  Weekend is supposed to be nice and a little cooler than it has been.  We've been in the 80's already.

Look forward to seeing you at Yellowstone!  You can find us and the Dick's at the Old Faithful Bookstore. (in the new Visitor Center)

I sure hope so.  We enjoyed our little excursion, we came home Sunday though, the weather reports were not good.  I noticed us and 2 other big 5th wheels loaded up early Sunday morning and left.  They were talking hail and had tornado warnings out.  I knew we could drive out of it pretty quick so did.  Of course the wind was blowing like crazy from the side all the way home.  I just slowed down and didn't drive as fast.  Drove 19 all the way down to 75, hit I 45 from Conroe on down to home.  That's pretty driving on 19.  I had the furnace on for 2 nights, unbelieveable.

I can say I've never seen so much stuff in my life.  I bought us some purses, one for me, one for Sue Anne and one for DIL for her birthday.  They are a  printed leather, floral pattern, I've never seen anything like them.  The gal said her mom designs them and has them made in Argentina.  The ones I got were half price on the sale rack otherwise they were to expensive for me.  The 3 50% off were $182.  Ouch
2 of them are the same.  It's like you can lay it flat then pull it together and snap it, has 2 handles.  When you lay it down the zipper is in the middle and not side to side.  When folded up a pickpocket would have a time getting in it.  The other is a regular bag type purse.  They had leather floral jackets and boots with the toes made like that.  Also larger pieces of luggage and wallets.  Just something very unique.  Sue Anne got a tshirt and wal switch cover.  We didn't buy anything else.

The satellite dome worked like a dream.  I now select satellite, turn on the tellie, and turn on the dome switch.  Tom moved the switch from deep in the overhead bin to the front of it.  Once it locks in then I turn it off and we are good to go unless we move the motorhome.  I could never figure out how to align the dish and all that stuff so this is awesome to me.  There were no trees there, I'm sure with trees would be an issue.  We only have the one receiver so same station for both, that can be easily remedied.  No issues hooking up tow car either.  I spent $180 for gas but still have 3/4's of a tank left. Didn't get good mileage with the wind, but to be expected.  Only drove about 400 to 500 miles, would have to check, not exactly sure.

Sue Anne is having more health issues.  She has been to her chiropractor, have an appointment with her neurologists Friday and a cardiologist next Monday.  With her being 40 and having Williams Syndrone and Arnold Chiari I think she is having more issues.  Plus she tried to self medicate for pain, she is always in pain, she found the master key and got into benadryl.  I found out if you overdose on that it causes hallucinations.  They said it will metabilize without permanent damage, but she is still having issues.  Normal innocent meds are not such for her sometimes.  I solved that problem, we bought a programable keypad safe for meds, the code can be changed often as you want, no more issues with that. 

Tom figured up gas to Yellowstone and back will be about $1800 at current  prices.  I'm hoping if he is still home he will go with us.  He said he likely will but he wants to go back to work after finishing the newest rent house.  (I want him to retire but am not pressuring him, its his choice) :'(  Now if it keeps rising I don't know, just have to wait and see.

I still plan to visit Inks State Park, maybe next month. 

My chickens are growing really good.  I will likely be able to dress out 14 in 4 or 5 weeks.  The other 8 will be sometime later.

I have canned beets, carrots, and beans, done with those.  Have packaged and frozen some cooked beans for reheating, also froze spinach. I may pull the beans this week and also the spinach and lettuce.  I think in this heat it may be strong. I water almost everyday we have a timer on it.

The new potatoes are delicious and the Texas Sweet onions can't be beat.  I bought more but they aren't like this first bunch.  The brussel sprouts are setting on, the cabbages got huge, have 2 left.  Gave some away, next year staggering the plantings.  We have plenty of bell and banana peppers, squash, and zucchini, I'm sharing with neighbors.  My back neighbor canned 13 pints and 2 quarts from what I gave her, I put up 40 quarts of beans, had 22 left, 11 pints of pickled beets, 7 pints of carrots.  Hope to put up a lot of tomatoes.  The corn at the other house, the first 3 rows are knee high, next 3 calf high.  Watermelon and cantaloupe, just so so.  The corn rows are 80 ft long. Hope to freeze it.  Set the timer to water everyother day, it is beyond DRY here.

My peaches look good, I netted them to hopefully keep the squirrels off.  I think some bug ate off most of my oranges.  The tree was covered with blooms and the bees were busy but very few oranges.  My apple tree bloomed like crazy too, so netted it, its only 2 or 3 years old and a dwarf.  The grape vines are 3, a few grapes on them, they say they will produce with some age, so maybe next year. I have my jelly jars, just waiting!

So hope to go somewhere maybe monthly or close to it with one big trip.  Crossing fingers and toes.

I could never figure out how to align the dish and all that stuff so this is awesome to me.

I sure can relate to that.  Jerry always did the pointing, but t'wer'nt easy!  We thought we'd died and gone to heaven when we got the automatic roof-mounted dish.  Find and Stow.  Love it!

Your produce sounds WONDERFUL!  My grandmother and mother always canned and there's just nothing so yummy.  You'll love this story.  One of our neighbors decided to help his little granddaughters learn how to plant and grow things.  Jerry made the comment that his fresh produce surely would make some good meals.  He said no way.  Said his wife won't eat anything that comes out of the ground.  Her food only comes from the grocery store.  Please don't ask me to explain That logic!  ::) :eek: ;D  Anyway, they've planted some flowers.  WE, on the other hand, LOVE fresh out-of-ground veggies.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom