Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are these from this season?  Hard to imagine with 5' of snow on the ground.  My niece in Utah does a lot of canning and we are lucky recipients.  One of our favorites is her pickled beets, best we ever had and she doesn't even eat them.  She doesn't like the betts, but every year cans a ton of them.  Hers have cinnamon and cloves.  Mmmmm....

In Utah right now, and they are just beginning to plant. 

One of our good friends at my folks summer place in Canada used to make the best pickled beets.  She always gave me a quart jar when I went up for the summer.  We always had a garden up there.
Glad you had a good trip. 

This is all from this years garden.

I wanted the beets and carrots some bigger, but its so dry I was watering everyother day and the tops were wilting so I decided "baby" beets and carrots were better then none.

We have had 1 inch of rain since January here.  Everything is dying our other garden has the timer set to water every 48 hours.  This is incredible, I have never seen such a drought.  We have had a couple of fires out here, one close by at a mulch place.  We can smell smoke sometimes even 2 weeks later.  They have had a bulldozer back there and have to go in periodically.  Another near the subdivision across the road, a helicopter was there dumping water on it.  We have a lot of woods out here, if it ever got to burning about 3 miles away is Shenandoah on this side of the highway and the Woodlands on the other side.  I couldn't see it jumping the interstate but it sure could burn this side out.  Downright scarey right now.

I am hoping for lots of tomatoes.  Today I'm pulling the rest of the spinach and lettuce, in this heat it gets bitter, also cleaning out there a bit.

Hey oil prices are going down today, hope that continues. Of course I don't like the reason, higher unemployment, very bad for folks needing jobs.

Had doctor visit yesterday for Sue Anne's physical. She had ketones in urine specimen and blood sugar of 170.  My doc thinks she may be diabetic or getting there.

Yesterday evening I read everything I could find on the diet for it.  She had lost another 4 pounds in a week.  She is now 5'3" and weighs 145 which is still high for her but end of last year she was at 169.  We were working on her losing but the last month or so it was melting off.  Wish I could lose some too, I've been trying. ::)

So I went to my favorite meditterean restaurant for lunch.  There food is great, lots of grilled, low fat, veggies, chicken, fish, lamb.  She isn't crazy about it but did eat some.

Then dinner she had tomato soup, I need to make my own to reduce the sugar in it.

At 9:30 gave her a bedtime snack, of meat, carbs, and half a glass of 2% milk.  That is the first night in about 2 weeks she hasn't been screaming and crying all night.  It was bliss for me and I'm sure her too.  Her dad said he heard her talking about 5AM, she always does that, she talks to herself way to much, but at least that is normal for us.  At 7AM I fed her scrambled eggs, protein, 1/2 glass of milk, and half slice of whole wheat bread.  She did fine till 9:30AM, had a minor breakdown of crying but quickly got over it. 

I have been reading about what high blood sugar can do, sounds like her.  I'm working on her diet for 2 weeks then back for fasting blood sugar test.  If anyone knows of any good books about dietary needs for diabetes I'm interested.  I did buy one on glycemic index.  I'm hypoglycemic so know how whacky you can get because of low blood sugar, guess high is just as bad or worse.  Neurologist tomorrow, then heart doc Monday.  I'm hoping we find simple solutions to her issues of late.

And I hope those gas prices continue down so we can go more!!!!  She is read and me too!!

I read Miss Mermaids comments about being afraid to drive the thing at first.  I was SCARED to death but decided I could do this. I was terrified of that little class C and now looking back that was easy, but I couldn't see good around me and I don't like that.

Then I got this 30 footer and was more terrified.  I remember worrying and worrying about driving it home from S Houston on the freeways.

Then I was scared to tow the toad.

Well if you had seen me turning around in a filling station the other day, had to to escape going completely the wrong way down a service road and squeezing that thing between cars, pumps, etc you would be proud.  I could see the doubt in a lot of the guys eyes standing around, but I fooled them.  HA! And I didn't have to unhook either.

One other place where I missed a turn off and similar turn around in a road construction and diversion area in another service station.  A big gas tanker was there and he looked at me and kind of shook his head, backed up just a tad and I slicked right through, he just looked at me.  I don't think he thought I could do it either at first.

Now I don't want to get over confident  or brag, I know it wouldn't take but some minor misjudgement to tear it up and others too.  But so far I can say I've exceeded my own expectations.  I think hubby is more nervous driving then me, but he hasn't driven it much yet. But I'm sure there will be a day I get into some circumstance that will be beyond me.

I've read or heard there is some alarm deal you can put on the motohome and if you are coming to an awning or overpass that is to low it goes off ahead of time.  I'm thinking that might be a good thing to have.  I need to look it up and see what it is. Anyone know??

Yahoo!!  Hubby and I each had an unexpected money windfall today!  It will more then replace what I had planned to use for the trip to Yellowstone so unless something around here blows up or away, we are set to go in August.  We must be living right.  Yahoo.

Boy, what a rollercoaster we have been through.  Sue Anne had a lot of issues on our short trip, was really wondering if we were going to be able to travel more, but we have one answer after visiting MANY docotrs.

DD is in the hospital, she has pretty bad ulcers, no wonder she was in pain. She has been in bad pain for some time and wanted more and more painkillers. Of course this caused her even more problems. I tried to explain to her but she just wouldn't listen. So now she has to deal with more issues.

Anyway, she will be ok, hopefully we find what is causing her low potassium, man can that make you crazy when its real low. Watch out for that in the elderly, you may think something is mentally wrong and it might be potassium. I have been researching, who knew not me?  But she is back to her sweet self again.

So off to the hospital, she is so excited about Yellowstone.  I can deal with whatever as long as its treatable and will make sure if humanly possible for her to go.

Sounds like the hubby needs to take driving lessons from you.  I know what you mean about the look others give you when you are doing something in a tight situation. For some reason men sometimes think only men can do it...

I've had men who have never driven anything larger than a sports car want to jump in my rig and get it in or out of a tight spot for me.  LOL!  But I wouldn't let them. Hey I want to bang it up all by myself!  LOL!

I wouldn't worry about the overhead alarm unless you are driving under lots of low branches. I did however, find out my exact height, write it down on a sticker and put it up on the dash. That way if I am driving and have to make a height decision quickly, which can fluster me at times, I can just look at my sticker to know my exact height without getting confused.

I did creep at a snail's pace around certain parts of Savannah, praying that the UPS truck or somebody had plowed through the low hanging branches before me.  It just looked worse than it really was, because of all that Spanish moss dripping off the branches.

Sorry to hear about all the medical mess. About that potassium, I had issues with that awhile back, but after finding out the long list of foods rich in potassium, it's easy to incorporate in the diet.

http://www.thepotassiumrichfoods.com/

I'm workamping off I-85 near the SC/GA border on Hartwell Lake, if you find an excuse to end up in this area, let me know.  ;D

So glad you found the cause of Sue Ann's pain!  No wonder she wanted relief.  Untreated ulcers can be the pits.  Luckily they have better treatments these days than when my dad had his in the1950s.

ArdraF

We still have an echo, MRI, and return visit to docs for to see if she is ok. I am still waiting on her diabetes results. 

She and I decided the topomax she was taking was not doing her much good and think it may be causing some of her hallucinations.  She said mom I want to quit taking that so we have and she has done better the last couple of days.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm trying to finish up canning etc, dressing out chickens in the next couple of weeks and hope to hit the road soon.

It is looking like hubby is heading to Borneo for a year or so to work.  His contract has to be finalized and its a pretty stringent physical but unless he has some hidden condition we think he will breeze through it.

I told him I'm sure people think its funny for us to take off when he is gone.  I guess we are a funny pair.

So here's hoping he gets his contract, that will make him happy, and we will be off and wondering.  It will be at least a month yet to get the chickens dressed out and the corn put up. 

So hoping it all comes together.  Will work out pretty good as he will also have the rent house finished and I need to get it rented.

Do any of you have the extended warranty Sam's offers on your motorhomes?  This one only has 48000 miles on it but you never know.  I don't see the cost so will have to contact them and see how much.

Hope we can get going soon!!

OK, I just have to ask what are you talking about when you say you are going to dress out the chickens?

brens said:
OK, I just have to ask what are you talking about when you say you are going to dress out the chickens?

In the case of my grandmother, it was catch 'em, kill 'em, pluck 'em, clean 'em and either can 'em, freez 'em, or eat 'em.  But those were the goold ol' days.  ;D

Yup...and we have dressed hogs.  We called the butcher to do our personal beef.  I still think store bought meat tastes slightly off!  And you don't know sweet until you eat an ear of sweet corn fresh picked off the stalk (no...don't cook it, just eat it raw!).

Well, I knew what she meant about dressing out chickens, although the literal image cracked me up.  I just figure she better not put the corn up too high, she still has to reach it.

;)

I pulled half the garden and we tilled, the temps are killing us already. I believe it got 99 yesterday and its May.

The drought is horrible, had a storm and it split and went around us, nary a drop.

Some things are helping Sue Anne but have not solved her issues by a long shot.  If I can't, not sure we can go anywhere, I fear getting away from home with her till we have resolutions. 

And yes, dressing out chickens is just a more polite way of saying, killing them, gutting, and cutting them up.  Don't know where the term came from, just what they used to say.

PatrioticStabilist said:
And yes, dressing out chickens is just a more polite way of saying, killing them, gutting, and cutting them up.  Don't know where the term came from, just what they used to say.
One would think UNdressing chickens would be more appropriate.

Things are looking up.  The garden is about done. It got 105 here yesterday, wow, first of June, that's scarey!

But I'm done out there just tomatoes and a few peppers are left.  We started on the corn, hubby pulled 14 dozen ears, we gave away a few and I processed 11 dozen.  He picked, shucked, and I processed.  He came in and tried to help cut if off the cob, after about 4 or 5 I told him surely he has other things to do.  He would have helped but I would have been laughing watching him. The neighbors horses ate all the shucks and ate the cobs too.  We are in extreme drought here and he is feeding hay but they love anything green.  The chickens got a few.  I compost other veggie material, nothing like that goes to waste here.

That made 30 pint and a half containers and 1 quart one.  I hope to put up that much again, he thinks the patch will produce 60 dozen, we will share with neighbors and friends.

Ok, its' about 95% sure hubby is going to East Kalimantan, in Borneo to work for a year and a half.  Could be less could be more. There are a few details like his physical, so far he has been healthy as a horse, he will be 65 in August.  He doesn't know his markup yet or rotation, but he is itching to go, so I'm sure he will.

Sue Anne is doing much better, after a mental health crisis intervention, they have decided its the topomax she is on and the generic estradiol.  She has been back on brand name premarin about a week and brand name topomax.  I am now stepping down the dosage at the rate of 50mg a week on the topomax.  At 100 mg going back to doc to see about getting her off it.  That stuff can causes terrible side effects, she has been on it for many years.  But I think with her 30 pound weight loss they needed to lower the dosage, the doc said no problem.  Yeah right, we thought she was losing her mind.  Man its unbelieveable what even prescribed drugs under a doctors care can do! So she is rapidly improving now.  Sleeping well at night, able to function, what a relief.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom