going all in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric

hey everybody long time reader first time poster, in about six months going all in fulltiming , me and my fearless pug Frank. at one point I was set on a 5th wheel then was thinking a class c now I'm back thinking about 5th wheel , I was hoping I could get some expert input as to which way I should go.thanks in advance for any advice anyone could give me.

Hello Eric and welcome to The RV Forum.  We are pleased that you have stopped lurking and became a member.  As you have already learned this is a great place to get answers and make friends.  We are glad to have you.

Here is my take on you question of which RV is for you.  Others will likely chime in with differing opinions.

For those that plan to travel to a location and then stay for a while TTs & 5ers work well.  The require a tow vehicle which ends up being your transportation once you arrive.  They do not lend themselves to potty breaks and lunches while on the road.  5ers have lots of room and are quite comfortable. 

MHs are generally better for those that are on the move a lot, although they certainly can be used for extended stays too.  Upon arrival set-up is generally a bit simpler.  MHs come in all sizes and certainly there are MHs that are as spacious as a 5er.  Most full timers tow a vehicle to be used once they arrive at their destination.  As eluded to above, potty breaks, lunch, snacks, etc can be accommodated without exiting the MH. 

Should you decide that the MH is the way to go, give strong consideration to a class A.  Class A's provide far more storage than a class C and that will be important if you full-time.  Additionally, class As generally have better suspension systems, drive lines etc, which can be important, especially if you are going to do any travel in the mountains.

thanks George for your quick response, I have looked into class A's and that would probably be my first choice, but I was looking to spend around 50 g's, and for that much, I don't think, but I don't know for sure, if I could find a decent used one , plus I would need a toad for sure. After looking around on line and at dealers it looks like I could find a used 5th wheel  with truck or class c with jeep to tow for around 50g.I have family and friends on both coasts, so I will be traveling back and forth across this great country , in no hurry, seeing the many places I,v never had a chance to see.So I would really want a toad to get around , if I find a place I like and want to hang there for awhile.

The class A I have is the only RV I have ever had. However, after traveling and living in it full time for several months now, I couldn't imagine anything any smaller. The ease of travel in the motorhome is a huge plus for our family. It is just easier than I think a 5th wheel would be. Search hard and you will find a deal.

For under $50,000 you might be able to get a diesel pusher about 38'  for 2000 and older.  Several 1998 Newmar Dutch Stars have sold recently for under that number.

I think if you are traveling alone and planning on visiting friends by possibly staying on their property, then a Class A or C is far easier to deal with alone, and easier to fit in a driveway.

I bought a used Class C, 28 feet, last December.  All my worldly goods and my dog, travel with me, as it's my only home and I don't pay for storage anywhere. Everyone said I was nuts to sell the car and go it alone in just the Class C, but for me it's been heaven on earth.  I have been fulltiming 10 months now. 

I don't feel the need to own a ton of junk, so the storage issue is not a problem for me. I seem to own all I need and still have room left over. My guest loft, (bed over the cab) I use for friend(s) that sometimes join me on a trip.  I'm able to give them empty drawers and closet space too.  I have a pantry area I stock with sale items when I find them. So there is always food around, I don't have to dash out for food, if I prefer relaxing awhile in one spot.

I figured if I needed a car, I could rent one. So far, I've never rented one, but my longest stay in one spot has only been 5 weeks. Even so, to break camp to go grocery shopping isn't that big a deal.  Sometimes it's a good excuse to move to another campground in the area and be surprised.

What I love about not having a toad to fuss with, is one, it saves me a ton of money and two, I am able to stop and sightsee without having to find a camp and then backtrack in a toad. Three, it saves me a load of time, as I am not worrying with hooking it up and unhooking it, everytime I want to camp. Four, I am not allergic to walking, and doggy loves to walk.  I've stayed in many RV parks where folks actually drove their toad just to carry out the garbage or drive to the laundry in the park. I can do that on 2 legs. I carry out my garbage daily, so I don't have a mountain to haul out anyhow. I stay on top of the laundry so I only have a load at a time to walk to the laundry area.

Grocery stores seem to always have ample parking, so I am able to pull over and stock up.I've even made lunch in the lot, and took a nap before moving along.

I was at Niagara Falls looking for a paid parking lot to take me, when I saw parallel parking available for free. I was able to park and walk to the falls and have a blast.

Not having a toad, means many friends have invited me to stay on their property and parking a Class C has been easy to do in their driveway or or on their lot.

Since THEY have a car, I  get to ride with them to go places, but if I have to go somewhere, I can break camp, run my errands and come back again.

I know many folks couldn't dream of living in a small space or living without a toad, but I wanted hassle free travel, and for me, it's been nothing but fun, fun, fun! 

Your budget of $50,000 is much larger than mine was, I hunted and hunted until I found a comfy unit that was a bargain. It pays to take your time and look at lots and lots of units before you buy. The more you look at units, the more you begin to understand what's important to you.

I ended up with a short-list of must-haves and an optional wish list. Knock on wood, my current unit, suits me perfectly.

I've just spent 2 weeks in a driveway invitation with friends, in suburbia,(New England)  but I plan to hit the road in a day or so for a 1300 mile trek to a part time gig in the south. At the rate I move, wander, explore,  it could be a 10-30 day trip before I finally arrive. Life is good. Go fulltiming!

here's My concern..  What do you do in 10 years when it's worn out?  I have no clue what to do then. 

I should have added more info..  ie. If I go all in then I've got to sell the house in order to afford the MH.  Having said that.. I am retired an have a check comming in from Uncle Sam.  Yet in the past years the credit has gone to nothing therefore I'm done if I let this stick house go.  Now then I don't really have a problem with that until I think about ok George when the MH wears out then what do you do?  Won't have the money or credit to buy another..  sigh..  Anyone got any input on that?  Yes I know it's all a gamble but,.... 

48pan said:
here's My concern..  What do you do in 10 years when it's worn out?  I have no clue what to do then.

Why would it be worn out in ten years? If you do the proper maintainance  it should last a lot longer than 10 years. My class A is 25 years old and still going fine.

Eric,

Your concern for the long term regarding the sale of your stick house is quite valid.  Here are some thoughts for you to ponder. 

Rent a, lets say, a 28 to 30 foot Class C a couple of times and then rent a 28 to 32 foot Class A a couple times.  This way you can see if you really like the RV lifestyle.  If it's possible do the same with a 5th wheel and a pickup truck.  It would disastrous if you sold your house at today's low prices and went "all in" only to find that you really didn't like the full time RV life style as much as you thought you would.

Look into RENTING your stick house and borrowing the money for the motorhome or 5th wheel/truck. You may be able to do this if you own your stickhouse and your retirement check & rental income can cover the loan payments plus your everyday living expenses.  I make this suggestion because, for whatever reason, after you no longer live in your RV you might become another homeless person without a house but with a monthly check.  Furthermore, you will certainly get a very low amount for your stickhouse in todays recession and BAD resale housing market.  You would be selling at the worst time in many years.

I might add that you can do workcamping to assist you bank account as you fulltime.

FYI, our first three MHs were Class Cs and we did NOT have a tow car.  Class Cs are easily driven to grocery stores and other places.  Granted today we have a tow car but we also have a 40 foot Class A that is much more difficult to easily drive to grocery stores and so forth.

Make sure you're sure BEFORE selling your stick house!!!

JerryF

ty for the advise..  Leaning toward the toyhauler but, still open minded.  thanks again for the input.  As for My stick house.  That's how I'm going to finance the Rig to full time.  Also while I was a Drill Instructor in Parris Island I rented out My house and don't want to have to deal with those hassels again. Plus if it sits empty then I'm stuck makin the payment and don't want to deal with that either.

There is another option, far cheaper than renting high priced rigs to test them out. That is to buy a super cheap motorhome and putter around to see if you even like the lifestyle.

It's far easier to get out from under a cheap rig than to get out from under a big pricey one. Just look around, tons of desperate folks trying to get rid of big rigs they can't afford the payments on. Sad to say, so many are repo'd because the owners couldn't get out from under them in time.  The older ones sell super cheap because so many buyers want the newer ones with all the amenities the old ones often don't have.

Take good care of whatever you buy and it shouldn't be worn out in 10 years unless you just beat it to death with high mileage and no maintenance.  Mine is a 1994 and runs great, looks fine and I just love it. I try to keep it up nicely and stay on top of the maintenance.

I baby it, I don't hot foot it, no matter what the crazy drivers behind me are doing. I take my time on turns and going in and out of parking lots. That's when it's easy to do damage.  Keep up with the basic housework on the RV too, things will last longer.

Have met with the Realtor and should get around 40 or 50 K to buy said truck and toyhauler.  Now in My grand scheme of things was thinking new but, doesn't seem that's an option with where I want to be so used is going to have to due.  Yes I have searched all the sites looking and there are good deals out there.  My only thoughts are am I really making a good decision?  As stated in other posts I can live here on my retirement but, it takes everything.  I'm thinking about half for the toyhauler and half for a truck to pull it with then live on the retirement and save some since it's going to be cheaper out there then it is here.  Workcamping, volenter, some work up north in the summer months.  Couple years trade up.  Am I on the right track?  Anyone thoughts out there?  All welcome good an bad please.

Thanks George and Lauren

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom