1989 Winnebago Chieftain 33 foot, 454 eng. Roof Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raypc800

The roof needs to be resealed, it does have a coating of something on it now. I do not know what the original roof composition is made of! I do not want to dig around on the roof to the original for I might dig to far. I have been told could be fiberglass, aluminum or rubber coating and told I need to know which one to get the proper coating product. So I come here to ask all of you mighty with knowledge of the RV. I humbly put forth this question  and wait respectfully for your answers. I thank you in advance for your time in considering this question.  Ray

99% sure is fiberglass. The previous owner might have put a residencial roof coating on it, to deflect UV rays and heat.

Agree - it is probably fiberglass on that coach.

Why does it need to be re-sealed? One generally does not do that unless there has been damage or severe deterioration of the material (which is rare with fiberglass). At worst, there might be a leak in a seam somewhere, along an edge or around a roof opening (vent pipe, skylight, etc.). If that's the case, you just need to caulk the affected area.

Modern roofing systems entail several ways to come up with a good and attractive design. Way back in 1938, fiberglass roofing has been simply used in some parts of the world. It has stood the test of the time for several reasons like cost, it doesn't rust and many fiberglass roof panels allow natural light through and some even have a UV filter within the panel.

Back
Top Bottom