My Itasca off season project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack D

Camping season is over for us this year. Time to do the remodel project to make the floor plan more workable for our camping lifestyle. Along with that will be a painting project on the exterior. A photo log can be seen here:

http://www.metalsmithpro.com/Itasca%20remodel.htm
http://www.metalsmithpro.com/Itasca%20Progress.htm

Basically, the remodel will involve moving the fridge to the other side, moving the stove to where the fridge was and a new , much larger countertop. We'll be removing the furnace and replacing it with two catalytic's, one Wave 3 and one Wave 6. Exterior painting of the end caps, removal of striping decals and replacing with paint trim.

As always, suggestions, questions welcome.

AndyinLexington said:
Really nice work.  You are a craftsman.

Thanks, Andy, but it really isn't difficult work. There's very little glue...only staples and brads, so disassembly is quite easy. I assemble new portions the same way...only I use more glue and brads....and lots of screws. Most anyone can do it if they have the tools necessary.

Something kept gnawing at me about using a catalytic heater in a RV.  I found the following on the Sierranevedaairstreams website.

Rules for catalytic heater use

• make sure it is installed properly so that it doesn't leak fuels, will run properly, and all safeguards are functioning,

• keep anything combustible away from the heater

• make sure the heater is not going to be knocked over accidentally

• Always provide ventilation by cracking a window or vent when the heater is in use.

• Never use a catalytic heater when sleeping or when unattended.

• Be aware of the symptoms of low oxygen and carbon monoxide poising and take action if you or someone else in the heated area even thinks they might or appears they might have them. Action is getting outdoors immediately and venting thoroughly.
I could assume the OP is aware of the dangers of using a catalytic heater in closed spaces, but just in case, I'll post this FYI.

Thanks. But have no worries. I'm well aware of the safety hazards of propane appliances. The list you provided should apply to all, including the propane range/oven. Catalytics are perfectly safe if used properly and are far safer than using the range top for heating (and many do). Our first TT was a small Shasta that had no heat and we installed a modified catalytic tent heater. It served us well for several years. And that heater had none of the safety features that modern cats have. We'll be fine. A CO monitor is ordered. But thanks for worrying. :)

More reading material on cat. heaters and their pro/cons
http://www.fulltimerver.com/publish/rvheat1.shtml

In this photo, the CO alarm is covering the old thermostat holes and above that is time/temperature/humidity meter. I'll be closely monitoring the CO levels and humidity once the catalytics are operating. Should be interesting to see how much each fluctuates under differing conditiions.

Attachments

• Progress26.jpg
    Progress26.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 51
Jack,

I had posted a question on the forum about doing some minor work but did not get the answers I needed. Seeing your work, I wonder if you can answer these questions when you are not too busy:

1) Lauan - where do I find it, what do I use to mount it (just staples?) and what do I use to hang things from it (towel racks, etc)?
2) staples - what kind of gun? brads nailer, square staples?
3) is fir the stock of choice to frame because of weight and ease to work with?
4) is taking apart a fixture if only stapled pretty destructive?

Thanks for posting such detailed information. It really is helping me make the transition betweeen stick construction and the motorhome. We have a few minor projects I want to undertake (like removing the stove) once I understand the implications.

Kim

skyking4ar2 said:
Jack,

I had posted a question on the forum about doing some minor work but did not get the answers I needed. Seeing your work, I wonder if you can answer these questions when you are not too busy:

1) Lauan - where do I find it, what do I use to mount it (just staples?) and what do I use to hang things from it (towel racks, etc)?
2) staples - what kind of gun? brads nailer, square staples?
3) is fir the stock of choice to frame because of weight and ease to work with?
4) is taking apart a fixture if only stapled pretty destructive?

Thanks for posting such detailed information. It really is helping me make the transition betweeen stick construction and the motorhome. We have a few minor projects I want to undertake (like removing the stove) once I understand the implications.

Kim

Kim, I am using Poplar 1x2's to frame my cabinets. Poplar is nice tight straight grain wood and knots are non-existant. Some I'm ripping in half to make 1x1's where needed. In my coach, there is no glue...only staples.  and some brads. I don't have a stapler, so I'm using glue and brads to assemble new work. Old work should come apart easily by inserting a screw driver or small pry bar and prying gently until the staples give up their hold. If possible, tapping with a hammer and block of wood from the backside will loosen panels for re-use later. I buy Luaun from our local home center. I'm sure most any home center or lumber yard will have it in 1/8" panels (4'x8') at about $12/sheet.  I'm using it inside tha cabinets and re-using original panels where it shows.

To attach things to hollow walls, I highly reccommend these....However there is a question in my mind as to whether there is a size that will fit in a 3/4" wall cavity. If not, there should be something similar that will work..

Attachments

• 100_2615.jpg
    100_2615.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 91
skyking4ar2 said:
Thanks, Jack - exactly what I need to know to move forward....

I am enjoying your play by play and know others are, too...extremely informative, especially for us new to the game!

Thank you. Forgot to mention that I'm using lots of those black bugle-head drywall screws, too (of various lengths).

Jack,

Are you framing out the cabinet faces from scrap or new materials? If new, what and where are getting the materials? Excuse me if I did not go far enough back in the post to get that, exactly.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom