Death Valley Rally Feb 2, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today the group split in three... those that stayed home & rested, the "Leaf Peepers-Flower Children" who looked for flowers & the "Manly Men & Women" who went 4-wheeling to Inyo Mine & conquered the treacherous Echo Pass.

Attachments

• Echo Canyon-5.JPG
    Echo Canyon-5.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Echo Canyon.JPG
    Echo Canyon.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Echo Canyon-2.JPG
    Echo Canyon-2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Eye of the Needle-4.JPG
    Eye of the Needle-4.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Inyo Mine-20.JPG
    Inyo Mine-20.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Inyo Mine-12.JPG
    Inyo Mine-12.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Inyo Mine-15.JPG
    Inyo Mine-15.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 38
  • Inyo Mine-18.JPG
    Inyo Mine-18.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Inyo Mine-1.JPG
    Inyo Mine-1.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Inyo Mine-9.JPG
    Inyo Mine-9.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 59
The Flower Children had a fabulous time. At lunchtime, we sat in the sunshine with no wind and no bugs, looking up at snow-covered Telescope Peak 11,049 + feet above us. Don nearly fell asleep. And we found REAL flowers, not those dead things the "Manly" group found. We have pictures of Desert Gold, Cryptantha, Brown-Eyed Evening Primose, and DESERT FIVE SPOT. Of course, it took one of the Manly Flower Children to find the 5-Spot but we have pictures to prove that we found flowers. Now if I can just figure out how to get those pictures from my camera to my computer, I'll post some and the other Flower Children will post some spectacular pics, too.

Ron, it's not going to be a 100-year bloom but there are a lot of little green things growing up out of the ground at Ashford Mills and even here in Sunset Campground.

Sunset from Sunset Campground this evening was beautiful although not as spectacular as last evening.

Life is good.
Wendy

Here are a few pictures of the West Side Road down to the Flower Peeping area.  Also a sunset from last night.

Attachments

• 1-Telescope Peak (Small).JPG
    1-Telescope Peak (Small).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2-Ned, Don, Jim, Ardra, Jerry, Wendy  (Small).JPG
    2-Ned, Don, Jim, Ardra, Jerry, Wendy (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 3-Desert Gold (Small).JPG
    3-Desert Gold (Small).JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Desert Five Spot (Small).JPG
    Desert Five Spot (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5-A very well fed coyote (Small).JPG
    5-A very well fed coyote (Small).JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 6-Colored mountain side (Small).JPG
    6-Colored mountain side (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Sunset in Death Valley (Small).JPG
    Sunset in Death Valley (Small).JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 44
And here's some more pictures from the Flower Children.

Attachments

• Lorna gets her pic (Small).JPG
    Lorna gets her pic (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Ashford Ruins (Small).JPG
    Ashford Ruins (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3483 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3483 (Small).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 43
Here are some pics courtesy of Ray & Liza

Attachments

• _D2_1485.JPG
    _D2_1485.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 46
  • _D2_1495.JPG
    _D2_1495.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 43
  • _D2_1506.JPG
    _D2_1506.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
  • _D2_1508.JPG
    _D2_1508.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _D2_1511.JPG
    _D2_1511.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _D2_1521.JPG
    _D2_1521.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 51
  • _D2_1534.JPG
    _D2_1534.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 49
Some more Echo Pass Pics from Ray & Liza

Attachments

• _D2_1541.JPG
    _D2_1541.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 50
  • _D2_1544.JPG
    _D2_1544.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 53
  • _D1_0273.JPG
    _D1_0273.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 48
  • _D1_0340.JPG
    _D1_0340.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 41
  • _D1_0347.JPG
    _D1_0347.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 47
  • _D1_0394.JPG
    _D1_0394.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 46
Terry A. Brewer said:
Today the group split in three... those that stayed home & rested, the "Leaf Peepers-Flower Children" who looked for flowers & the "Manly Men & Women" who went 4-wheeling to Inyo Mine & conquered the treacherous Echo Pass.

Dear Manly (and Mrs. Manly and friends):  You guys are such a crack-up and so much fun.  Reading about your adventures is as much fun as being there!

Margi

Wendy said:
The Flower Children had a fabulous time. 

Dear Flower Children:  Now, don't tell Manly and his followers, but we probably would have followed in your aesthetic floral appreciatory footsteps.  (I'm not even going to ask the spell checker what he thinks about that!).

Margi

As a result of all these pictures and stories, I have to add Death Valley to our trip list next year. These kinds of stories are the RV'ers equivalent of crack cocaine!

Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through your adventures!

The Manly Men and Woman group had such an exciting time we had to take VIDEOS of our exciting adventure. And on top of that, the Manly Men and Women actually know how to get those videos out of the camera and onto the Internet. They will be posted as soon as I find an Internet connection with some hair around it.

Barb said:
  Looked like a FUN ride, but I noticed Betty was directing, not riding in the co-pilot seat.  BAWK, BAWK, BAWK, BAWK!

Hey Frank,
I was NOT a chicken.  I found this run and told him where to go.  It is after all MY year to plan  what we do.  I was his spotter all the others were just paparazzi.  And just FYI there was no way I was going to be riding in that vehicle over that  particular terraine.  So maybe just a little  bawk. ;)
Can't wait for Moab.

Betty

Death Valley should be on everyone'.s Bucket List.

As for Bawk Betty, I bet she'll be riding while someone else plays spotter on the next DV Rally.

2 rigs left Sunset for points north and landed at Mesquite Campground, much more remote and peaceful than Sunset. Terry and Betty drove up and had lunch at Ray and Liza's picnic table (Yes, we have picnic tables, as well as fire rings and barbecues).  Mike and Wendy entertained them during their lunch, while we tried to level our coach. [Note to self - always first at a campground to be able to laugh at those who follow setting up.] After lunch, we headed to Scotty's Castle where we had an outstanding tour of the house followed by a very nice tour of the underground.

Looking forward to seeing more of the group up here tomorrow. Ray and Wendy found 3 pieces of firewood so we can have a 5 minute campfire.

The fun continues......
Wendy, Mike and Gordon
Mesquite Campground, DEVA

Footnote: There should be pictures posted of the Scotty's Castle trip but Mr Famous Photographer forgot his camera and Mr Colorado Instute of Art (Photography) left his memory card in his computer. But there will be pictures thanks to Mr & Mrs B !

Wendy

Hi, This is Cindy, using Carl's login.  We made it home in record time on Friday but, as we left Death Valley, both of us said we should have stayed one more day.  Now I am thinking one more week.  My pictures could not compare with Lorna's but, if you are interested in reliving last Wednesday afternoon and the Thursday trip to Rhyolite and Titus Canyon, take a look at my Death Valley Picasa album: https://picasaweb.google.com/clundqui/2011_02_04#  Carl is still working on his pictures (but don't hold your breath).  We had such a wonderful time I know we will be reliving this trip for some time to come.  Wish we could come to Moab but that is not likely.  We'll have to be content with reading about your adventures on the Forum for a while.  Thanks to all for a wonderful visit to Death Valley.  Let us know if you plan to come to LA.    Cindy

Wonderful pictures and thanks for sharing.  Thanks again for the chance to get to know both of you better and the dinner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom