EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Death Valley Rally Feb 2, 2011  (Read 63843 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Re: Death Valley Rally Feb 2, 2011
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
Ever see the movie Zabriskie Point?  I saw that eons ago, and until recently did not realize there was an actual place. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

seilerbird

« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Saturday night Betty, Terry, Jerry, Ardra and myself went to the Furnace Creek Inn for dinner. We some how managed to arrive 45 minutes early so we were forced into sitting on the patio watching the sunset. Just as it was getting dark we noticed an Iridium Flare zoom across the sky. Absolutely amazing. If you don't know what an Iridium Flare is then you should Google it. The amazing thing about this flare is that you can look up online and find out exactly when and where one will occur. But I didn't know this one was coming so that is an even rarer way to view them.

I am all alone at Death Valley. Terry and Betty just headed out. I am gong to be here for another week.

Bob Schultz

• ---
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
   To everyone, wish we were there. Laura and I have been reading your posts since Quartzite. I want to thank you all for showing us such a good time. I especially want to thank Terry and Betty for the very exciting 4 wheel ride on top of the mountian, and Laura wishes to thank Ray and liza for her ride. Planning on next year for both Quartzite and DV.  Everyone drive safe and see you all next year.    Bob and Laura Schultz, Baron and Micky too.

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
On one excursion Terry, Betty, TomS, Ardra and Jerry went to Dante's View which is probably the best overall view of the Death Valley floor.  When we started driving there we were at -198 feet in altitude and we were over 5,000 feet high where I took the panorama photo.  Please do use the slider at the bottom of the photo to see the full magnificant view of the valley floor.

BTW, that's Telescope Peak across the valley floor near the center of the photo.  Just below this clif were we were standing is "Badwater" the lowest point in the U.S. at -280 feet altitude.

JerryF
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:27:14 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
Telescope Peak 11,049 feet above sea level, Badwater 282 feet below sea level....and Jerry got them both in his beautiful panorama.

There is so much to see and do in Death Valley. Even living there for 4 years, there are many, many places we haven't visited. You can drive paved roads or head off on dirt roads or go further afield out 4WD trails, you can take easy walks or strenous hikes, you can go-go-go every day or you can sit and relax and enjoy the scenery and the skies.

Thanks for all the fun, kids !
Wendy
Las Vegas
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:34:11 PM by Wendy »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
And thanks, everyone, for taking us all with you!

Margi

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2011, 08:06:20 AM »
Thanks for all the fun, kids !
Wendy
Las Vegas

And thanks to you and Mike for the leadership and inspiration. Hope we do it again next year.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Dave Lois Wade

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
Hi, This is Lois and Dave and we met you all first in Pharump.  I'm Lorna's cousin (to help put a face to the name).  Anyway, I wish we could have stayed longer in Death Valley.  We left Death Valley last Thursday but it sounds like we missed alot.  What a GREAT group of people!!  It was so nice meeting everyone!  :)  Lois

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
We were glad that you could join us and that you had a good time even if it was to short.  Thanks again for taking the time to drive down and meet us and our friends.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
Anyone of you.  Was there any wildflowers showing up?

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
Anyone of you.  Was there any wildflowers showing up?

Ron, Back up in the thread until you find the messages about the Flower Children trip to Ashford Mill. There are flower pictures there. This is not going to be a 2005 but there are a lot of little green "things" sprouting up in the south part of the park and in Sunset campground. If you want wildflowers, seek and you will find :)

Wendy
Las Vegas
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
After spending the night at MM 99 in Quartzsite, we arrived home in Yuma early enough to begin the dozens of projects.

I am going through  withdrawals having spent  the last  6 weeks with Framily.   Last night Terry asked me when was Happy Hour? This Death Valley Rally was indeed a big hit.  The highlight for me was the RaceTrack inspite of the Ranger danger warnings we all did very well. It is a NOT to MISS thing.  We both said next time we would spend more time at Furnace Creek Inn on their patio for sunset viewing  and their fancy drinks.  When I get a few of the basic chores done, I will post some photos of our good times.  It is so wonderful to have a fast internet connection again!

Thanks again to Mike and Wendy for their vision of this rally!

Betty and Terry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:58:13 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
I was wandering this morning with my cup of tea, looking for Framily to talk to. Gave up and took a LONG HOT shower and am now washing 3 loads of laundry. Lunch will be In-and-Out !!

Coca-Cola Collectors Club Framily this weekend then Lake Havasu and the pyrotechnics display next week where we'll mee up with more RV Forum Framily.

Life Is Good.
Wendy
Las Vegas
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2011, 03:17:31 PM »
Oh, Tom.  Do you miss us??? :)  This was a great non-rally, Wendy and Mike.  Thanks for organizing it.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
Wendy and Mike, thank you SO much for all of your work on this Non-Rally.  I had a wonderful time and learned much more about Death Valley than I knew before!

I stayed another day at Mesquite, then headed south intending to stay a couple of days more at Sunset Campground before heading back to Pahrump.  Unfortunately, that's not to be ...

Right now I'm sitting in the rest area on Scotty's Castle Rd. just north of the Beatty turnout.  Right rear brake cylinder blew out, so no rear brakes.  Got down the hill safely by gearing down, then pulled into the rest area and crawled underneath to see what happened.  I'm in an area with 1-2 bars cell service, so I called Coachnet and they're sending someone out of Pahrump to tow me in.   So I guess I'll be in Pahrump tonight.

I'm a little upset because I'm a stickler about brakes and the first thing I did on this rig was have the entire system rebuilt - new new cylinders, brakes, rotors, hoses, master cylinder, etc.  Unfortunately, the nearest Les Schwab is about 500 miles away.

Liza

• ---
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Thanks, Wendy and Mike for the great non-rally.  We can't wait to get back to Death Valley.  What a place.  We're almost home now.  It was 18 degrees in Reno last night.  Not sure we really want to go home.  Will post pictures when we get there.  We miss the framily already.

seilerbird

« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Oh, Tom.  Do you miss us??? :)  This was a great non-rally, Wendy and Mike.  Thanks for organizing it.

ArdraF
You bet I miss you! I am the only one left here. I am headed for Pahrump tomorrow. The weather has been perfect all week here.

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
Tom:   Did you get some good images?   I will be out there around the 24th or 25th of February.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Rally photos are now in our photo gallery. Click on the Photos button above and open the Death Valley 2011 Rally album. Thanks to all for capturing this great rally in photos. Wish we could have been there.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

seilerbird

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Tom:   Did you get some good images?   I will be out there around the 24th or 25th of February.
I got a few nice shots, but I haven't even put them on the computer yet since my power inverter died at DV. I am back at Vegas and I stopped at FRY'S and picked up a new inverter, so I should have them posted tonight or tomorrow.

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
Final Pics of Death valley 2011 from me....

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
How far did you have to hike out to the rocks?  Looks like you had fun and no flat tires?

ArdraF
ArdraF

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Terry:  Can the road to the Race Track be run at night?  How rough is it?

Ron
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

seilerbird

« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
Terry:  Can the road to the Race Track be run at night?  How rough is it?

Ron
I am not Terry but I do have an opinion. The road is basically your 4wd freeway. I can see no problem going at night. I could probably drive my motorhome out there except it would be shaken to death, because there are no boulders to go over. I went with Lou and he drove almost the entire way between 40 and 45 miles per hour.

Ardra - That ranger was so full of ca ca. We saw dozens of vehicles and not one was broken down. I even saw a class B motorhome on the road. It is about a 1/4 mile to hike to where the rocks really move. You need to go to the far south end and walk most of the way across the lake. The nice thing is that it is the flattest hike you will ever take. 8)

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
Ron

>>Terry:  Can the road to the Race Track be run at night?  How rough is it?<<

Yes.... I have been on worst roads, it's just a long washboard drive. We found driving between 20-35 mph worked the best.

Don't talk to the rangers, they will try to talk you out of it..... One ranger told me not to go unless I had 2-3 mounted spares.<G>

On our trip we had a Jeep, Bronco, Pathfinder & Xterra no problems at all.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
The Racetrack is about a mile wide so I think we walked more than 1/4 mile, probably closer to a mile each way especially with all the weaving and wandering everyone was doing.

You could drive the road at night. Lots of people do. Just don't expect any help until daylight hours if you have problems.

Rangers have to give you the worst possible scenario so that if something should happen, you can't blame the rangers, NPS, and US Government. It's a lawsuit-happy society. But the guy who talked to Terry was a bit wacko.

Wendy
Main St Station, Las Vegas

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:04:19 PM by Wendy »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

seilerbird

« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Here is the infamous video of the Manly Men and Women conquering nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIoU2HyMbv8

Here are my stills:

seilerbird

« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
And a few more stills:

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »
Thanks to everyone for documenting our Death Valley rally so well.  It was great!

ArdraF
ArdraF

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
By the way, has anyone heard whether Lou got his tow to Pahrump and the result of repairs?

ArdraF
ArdraF

Hosted by Over The Network