Death Valley Rally Feb 2, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cindy and Carl, thank you from me too.  It was great to see you again and to spend the time together.

Here's some pics from Scotty's Castle.

Attachments

• Scotty's Castle 2011.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-1.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-1.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-33.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-33.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-10.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-10.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-11.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-11.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 30
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-16.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-16.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 29
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-17.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-17.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-19.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-19.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-22.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-22.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-23.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-23.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-25.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-25.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Scotty's Castle 2011-32.JPG
    Scotty's Castle 2011-32.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 36
Well I must hurry and post this message before Ned and Lorna leave as they have the  internet connection we have been using.  Lucky parking for us. Jim and Tarry left for  Mesquite Campground as did Don and Peg.  Lou has not yet stirred this morning. Tom S went to  breakfast with Ned and Lorna. Terry and I will  go to the local highlights today with Jerry and Ardra. And anyone else who want to join us.  So if you don't hear from us for a while it's becaue we are out of  the range of the internet.  Oh pooo.
We plan to go to the Race Track tomorrow.
Betty 

Betty Brewer said:
Lou has not yet stirred this morning. .

Memories, memories!  When Lou was driving the famous Le Trashcan at Quartzsite, all of us compulsive mother types would worry about him and eventually knock on his door to make sure he was OK.  (Thanks, Ma  ::) )

Margi

Last day of our Death Valley Rally. I promised you nearly perfect weather and I think I did a pretty good job delivering. Ok, some wind, some cold temps, some warm temps but no rain, beautiful blue skies nearly every day and some spectacular sunsets.

Today, 9 intrepid souls headed out to The Racetrack, 27 miles of washboardy dirt road. But the reward was visiting The Racetrack, the Grandstand and seeing the moving rocks. Ok, so none of the rocks moved while we were there but we saw the rocks and we saw the trails. We also stopped at Teakettle Junction where there are way more teakettles than I remember. Teakettle Junction is kind of like a shoe-tree, only better. Mike and I hung Mom's teakettle. We were going to take it out there 2 years ago with Mom and Dad but didn't make it out there so on this trip, we hung the teakettle with their names on it "For a Good Time, Call Bud & Dixie at 941-xxx-xxxx".

Pictures to follow by those photographically talented.

Life is Good
Wendy
Death Valley

OK, you leave their number out on some post and xxx it out here? 

Glad you guys have had continued good weather.  Been pretty nice here since we returned, although we did get a dusting of snow last night.  Today was blue skies and 40 deg to melt a lot of it away.

PancakeBill said:
OK, you leave their number out on some post and xxx it out here? 

You want their number, ya gotta drive the road and pay your dues  ;D

Wendy
DEVA

Yesterday Ned and I left Death Valley and on our way out we stopped at Zabriskie Point and joined Fitzgeralds, Brewers, and Seilerbird to spend a few more minutes together.  Death Valley rally was a big success and as Wendy promised the weather was outstanding.  Here are a few pictures taken at Zabriskie Point.

Attachments

• Jerry, Ardra, Terry, Betty & Tom (Small).JPG
    Jerry, Ardra, Terry, Betty & Tom (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P1040896 (Small).JPG
    P1040896 (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P1040901 (Small).JPG
    P1040901 (Small).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1040902 (Small).JPG
    P1040902 (Small).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 23
As you can tell from all the posts there is much to see and do in Death Valley.  The terrain is varied and you can go from 285 feet below sea level at Badwater Basin to snow at the Charcoal Kilns on the way to Telescope Peak.  The many different colored layers is awesome.  There are beautiful sand dunes there, too.  Again thanks to Wendy and Mike for being our guides with lots of good information.  It is much more enjoyable when you can do this with good friends.

Wendy and Mike we look forward to seeing you at Terribles tomorrow sometime.  We are back in site 72 and will be here until Thursday.

Ever see the movie Zabriskie Point?  I saw that eons ago, and until recently did not realize there was an actual place. 

Saturday night Betty, Terry, Jerry, Ardra and myself went to the Furnace Creek Inn for dinner. We some how managed to arrive 45 minutes early so we were forced into sitting on the patio watching the sunset. Just as it was getting dark we noticed an Iridium Flare zoom across the sky. Absolutely amazing. If you don't know what an Iridium Flare is then you should Google it. The amazing thing about this flare is that you can look up online and find out exactly when and where one will occur. But I didn't know this one was coming so that is an even rarer way to view them.

I am all alone at Death Valley. Terry and Betty just headed out. I am gong to be here for another week.

To everyone, wish we were there. Laura and I have been reading your posts since Quartzite. I want to thank you all for showing us such a good time. I especially want to thank Terry and Betty for the very exciting 4 wheel ride on top of the mountian, and Laura wishes to thank Ray and liza for her ride. Planning on next year for both Quartzite and DV.  Everyone drive safe and see you all next year.    Bob and Laura Schultz, Baron and Micky too.

On one excursion Terry, Betty, TomS, Ardra and Jerry went to Dante's View which is probably the best overall view of the Death Valley floor.  When we started driving there we were at -198 feet in altitude and we were over 5,000 feet high where I took the panorama photo.  Please do use the slider at the bottom of the photo to see the full magnificant view of the valley floor.

BTW, that's Telescope Peak across the valley floor near the center of the photo.  Just below this clif were we were standing is "Badwater" the lowest point in the U.S. at -280 feet altitude.

JerryF

Attachments

• Dante's View (Large).jpg
    Dante's View (Large).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
Telescope Peak 11,049 feet above sea level, Badwater 282 feet below sea level....and Jerry got them both in his beautiful panorama.

There is so much to see and do in Death Valley. Even living there for 4 years, there are many, many places we haven't visited. You can drive paved roads or head off on dirt roads or go further afield out 4WD trails, you can take easy walks or strenous hikes, you can go-go-go every day or you can sit and relax and enjoy the scenery and the skies.

Thanks for all the fun, kids !
Wendy
Las Vegas

Hi, This is Lois and Dave and we met you all first in Pharump.  I'm Lorna's cousin (to help put a face to the name).  Anyway, I wish we could have stayed longer in Death Valley.  We left Death Valley last Thursday but it sounds like we missed alot.  What a GREAT group of people!!  It was so nice meeting everyone!  :)  Lois

We were glad that you could join us and that you had a good time even if it was to short.  Thanks again for taking the time to drive down and meet us and our friends.

Back
Top Bottom