rest areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oshankle

reading through alot of others overnighting it at Wal-marts and truck stops my question is why are rest areas not considered a place to pull in and catch a few hours sleep and then get back on the road.  I have been in many rest area in various states and have never had a problem. any input?

They're an easy target for crime - easy in and easy out for the bad guys.

i work on i79 in Pa and we have two rest area that is in our patrol zones that are checked at least once a shift. i am not aware of any crime type incidents occurring in our rest area your right on the easy off and back on. I dont know i guess everybody has a diferent comfort zone

What Tom Said.

I have been in many rest area in various states and have never had a problem. any input?

Maybe you're lucky. I have had several unpleasant experiences in rest areas. Back in the good ol' days, they were handy for snoozing. Not anymore. I'll stop for an hour or two, not at night, not to sleep, and then move on.

Ray D  ;D

Plus, they are often full, noisy and smell of diesel exhaust.  I also get a guilty feeling when I take one of the few spots in a rest area and a trucker, who is trying to make a living, cannot stop or has to park along the road.  I know I'm allowed to stop but it seems like it's much easier for me to head to a Wal*Mart.  Just me.

I think it makes a difference what part of the country you are in.  Rest areas in the east and south seem much fuller than out west. 

I would imagine that the problem people do not approach the truckers as often as they do other travelers.  I have been approached multiple times in southern rest areas and asked for money or other help or to sell stuff to raise money.  I have had a young lady bang on my door and solicit me.  Nothing has happened that could not have happened in a Wal*Mart parking lot but the perception is there.  There seem to be many stories and they get circulated and amplified.

On our last couple of trips, we've noticed that all rest areas we passed in California are closed. When I saw the first one, I thought they might be doing some maintenance or repair, but there was no sign of any equipment or people working. Seeing every one closed, I figured there was some budget issue. Are rest areas maintained by the state or by the Federal government?

Tom:

Most, if not all, rest areas are state maintained.  And yes it is a budget issue. Many states like Arizona have closed most of their rest areas due to budget (thank you illegal immigrationers).  We noticed on our way back from Colorado that most of the Colorado rest stops are still open.  It is all another sign of the economy.

We do not use rest areas for sleeping.  We only stop in them in the daytime to rest for 15 or 30 mins and sometimes to eat lunch.  Never at night.  I still have memories of the two snipers in the Washington DC area 5 or 6 years ago that used rest areas during their rampage of killing. and were finally caught at a rest area.

We drove to Minnesota this summer from Alabama and it seemed that every other rest area was closed in most states.  I don't know the answer to your question, Tom, but it seems to make no sense that so many are closed.  It certainly can't add to safety on the road.  What really surprised us is that some state welcome centers were closed.  That is ridiculous.  It certainly doesn't encourage you to linger in the state which could happen if you stopped at a welcome center and gathered information about the sightseeing in the area.

[quote author=Smoky]Most, if not all, rest areas are state maintained.[/quote]

Thanks Smoky, that certainly explains it. California is so far in the hole that it's a huge exaggeration to even say they have no money.

We only ever use rest areas for the driver to take a natural break, lunch breaks, and occasionally change drivers (on the rare occasions Chris let's me drive).

Tom said:
On our last couple of trips, we've noticed that all rest areas we passed in California are closed. When I saw the first one, I thought they might be doing some maintenance or repair, but there was no sign of any equipment or people working. Seeing every one closed, I figured there was some budget issue. Are rest areas maintained by the state or by the Federal government?
The rest stop at Gold Run on I-80 is still open. We went by there today. But the rest stop at the summit of 80, as well as the one near 37 & I-80 is closed.

See here for what is closed in CA, and why closed:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/Statewide.htm

-Don-

Thanks for the link Don. Interesting that my perception was closer to "all" rest areas being closed.

BritChris said:
We drove to Minnesota this summer from Alabama and it seemed that every other rest area was closed in most states.  I don't know the answer to your question, Tom, but it seems to make no sense that so many are closed.  It certainly can't add to safety on the road.  What really surprised us is that some state welcome centers were closed.  That is ridiculous.  It certainly doesn't encourage you to linger in the state which could happen if you stopped at a welcome center and gathered information about the sightseeing in the area.

In Utah, the state has made a partnership with fuel stops to become the rest areas.  All of the closed rest areas have near by fuel stops that will allow you to rest and use the facilities without making a purchase.  Much safer than the isolated rest stops.  And, we have more safe places to overnight that we used to have.

PhilB

We were a little disappointed that the one at the Donner pass on I-80 was closed, the dog wanted a break and we were hoping to see something on the rather infamous history of the area. Rest areas were lacking on our trip, few places to stop for lunch or safely change drivers. We used busy fuel stops off the highway but weren't impressed by the inconvenience.

Have used 2 on CA Hwy99 in past few weeks 1 S. of Fresno & 1 S.of Tulare(reg stop for dumping tanks after camping KingsCyn)  JM2?    ~~  Kate ~~

There have been some problems at rest areas.  A few years ago Florida had some serious rest area safety issues when people with rental car stickers were targeted and a couple of tourists killed, including some foreigners.  They now prohibit overnight stays and have signs saying the rest areas are patrolled.  Fortunately such serious things don't happen very often!  About 15 years ago there was a rest area on I-280 south of San Francisco where some unsavory events were taking place.  There were a few arrests of some rather prominent people who were suddenly "outted" and it stopped.  Also, these days some rest areas have problems with homeless and panhandlers.  It pays to keep your time at rest stops short and keep your eyes and ears open.  Safety first!

ArdraF

RoyM said:
We were a little disappointed that the one at the Donner pass on I-80 was closed, the dog wanted a break and we were hoping to see something on the rather infamous history of the area. Rest areas were lacking on our trip, few places to stop for lunch or safely change drivers. We used busy fuel stops off the highway but weren't impressed by the inconvenience.
Next time take the Cisco Grove Exit (exit 165), and turn north. At the end, turn east (Hampshire Rocks Road) and you will see a parking area big enough for several RV's on the right (unpaved area). Let your doggies loose there, you can walk to the river from there. I have even seen a RV overnight there a couple of times. There is no need to turn around if east bound. You can continue in the same direction in a mile or so on I-80. Even if towing with a large RV, this should work well. If coming from the east, take the Big Bend /Raindow Road (exit 166) and drive on Hampshire Rocks Road until you see the same spot on the left, just before the Cisco Grove Exit.

But not a good spot if snow is deep. But then you can stop with your doggies at the dirt road at Big Bend exit. South side of freeway, dirt road right there on the north side of Hampshire Rocks Road. There might be a chain across the dirt road when the snow is deep, but there is still more than enough room for a RV and to let your doggies loose.

Also, both sides of the Gold Run Rest stop is open and both have good doggy areas.

-Don- SSF, CA​

About 15 years ago there was a rest area on I-280 south of San Francisco  where some unsavory events were taking place.
That's the only rest area I've seen with it's own fulltime live-aboard caretaker.  I believe he volunteers in return for a parking space for his travel trailer.  It's nicely landscaped and semi-permanently landlocked.

I was told that any construction near or at a rest stop in California would result in its having to be upgraded to current ADA standards.  I know the one on I-80 near Vallejo is being totally rebuilt for that reason (the ramps were so steep it was difficult for anyone using crutches, walker or wheelchair to use).
As for staying over night, most I have seen in the west prohibit it.  I have always assumed this is to encourage overnighters to use the state camp grounds (a matter of fees ;D ).

Back
Top Bottom