WE'RE HEADING SLOWLY TOWARD HONDO, TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.
We spent the weekend at the Oasis RV park in Amarillo, TX. While here, we drove out to see Palo Duro Canyon SP. That place is amazing!!!  There we were in the Jeep, looking at all of the FLAT terrain leading up the the park's entrance. All of a sudden, there is this BIG, DEEP gully not too far from the road side.  The road down to the canyon bottom is a 10% grade with twisty curves. The Bluebird is NOT going down that, Jack says!!! I'm attaching some photos of interesting scenery.

The Jeep went through a really "low water crossing"!!  Jack hesitated until he saw the reading on the water gauge. LOL.

Today we had really good brisket from the Country Barn Steakhouse. $$$ but we regarded that as a "treat" meal!

Tomorrow we head south via I-27 and US87 to Big Spring, TX.

Regards,
Jack and Liz and Oreo the escape cat

Attachments

• CLIFFS (Small).JPG
    CLIFFS (Small).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DRY Jeep (Small).JPG
    DRY Jeep (Small).JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0563 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0563 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0571 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0571 (Small).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Half Foot Deep (Small).JPG
    Half Foot Deep (Small).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 33
I think that crossing always has water in it, and it's not always that low :)

Lorna drove the Endeavor down the hill so the BB should certainly make it.

Ned said:
...Lorna drove the Endeavor down the hill so the BB should certainly make it.

Like they say, getting down the hill is the easy part, getting back up -- that's another story...    ;)

We had plans to do exactly that, Oasis RV and Palo Duro next month when we leave Taos. We did have plans, though, to take the MH down into the canyon, and know about the low water crossings, but....

Just not worth it to take the MH in?

Kim

It was not a problem to drive the coach down or back out of the canyon.  We did unhook the toad  going down and coming up we waited to hook the toad on at the top.  The campground down in the canyon is very nice.

And you don't have any water crossings between the rim and the campground.

Thanks for the scouting report. I am sure we will run over to the canyon without the MH first just to get a taste. I also understand that wifi and/or cell coverage could be nonexistent or sketchy, and that will keep us from camping down in the canyon during the week.

We still want to see it, though, with everyone raving about it.

We did see someone the other day come down into the Rio Grande Gorge on the north dirt road with a rented camper. Looked like a scene out of "RV". I don't think we want to recreate that...

Hi,
For what its worth; Palo Duro Canyon is great and, as an added bonus, the show "Texas" is performed in the canyon during the summer season. If you haven't seen it, it worth another visit just for that.
Ernie

I'm not too far behind you.  :D  I plan on finishing up my VA appts in Albuquerque on Halloween, then heading to the Dallas area.  I'll definitely want to see the Palo Duro.  Sounds like I can get the Fox in there, too.  Yay!

Back
Top Bottom