New to RVing - have towing question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angnjake

We have a AWD Honda CRV.  We are considering purchasing a used Class A (26ft.) with a tow package.  What particulars do I need to know to be sure that we can tow the CRV with the RV?  The weight rating on the hitch is 3500 lbs and the front weight of the CRV is 2160 lbs and total weight is 4320 lbs.  Will that work?  What type of towing set-up is recommended for a AWD vehicle?

Thanks! 

First source is the CRV owner's manual for towing procedures.  However, at 4320# it's more than your 3500# hitch rating so you'll need at least a class III (5000#) hitch to tow it.  But make sure your chassis will take the larger hitch, it may be limited to 3500# because of chassis limitations.

Thanks, Ned.  If the chassis can take a larger hitch, what does something like that normally cost?

I have no idea what a class III hitch would cost but a few calls to places like U-Haul should get you an idea.  However, I suspect the 3500# limitation is on the chassis.  That's typical for a smaller motorhome.

I'm in the exact same position as you.  I've just purchased a Honda AWD CRV for towing behind my 28' motorhome.  If you would like to compare notes offline, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].  I have a 1993 Rexhall Airex with a Ford E-350 Econoline Chassis and Ford 460 V8 engine.  I'm currently researching the Towing requirements and specific set up for the Honda AWD CRV.  My plan is to purchase a new motorhome within the next two years, so if I can't tow the Honda behind the Airex, I may speed up my purchase plan.

Back
Top Bottom