Gaak! We have an HWH leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
Yup - just did that Sunday - bought a real toy this time and not a tool disguised as a toy  ;D  We're getting serious about 4-wheeling!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!  I have a lot of stuff going on, but when I have time and I figure out what's wrong, I'll post an update.

Rubicon unlimited TJ that is a good choice. Let me know if you are ever out west I can show you some great 4wd stuff. I was sponsored by procomp for 3 years, you will like those tires until it gets wet and muddy, they pack up fast and don't have much lateral traction but tye last a long time and are pretty quiet for an aggresive tire and work well for 4 down towing.

Wayne

[off topic]
Thanks Wayne!  Next summer we're planning on wheeling in New Mexico, Colorado again, and many more trails in Moab.  Doubt if we will get much further west.  The tires are about 75% - when they're done, we'll do Mickey Thompsons or something else.
[/off topic]

Yep, that's what I said at the time. I have since heard that HWH has supplied cone shaped replacement springs to folks needing them.  Maybe at the time that my Meridian was new, they figured that they had finally fixed their spring problem.

John Canfield said:
Yup - just did that Sunday - bought a real toy this time and not a tool disguised as a toy  ;D  We're getting serious about 4-wheeling!

Nice RUBI John! It looks like the little brother to my Unlimited!

John Canfield said:
[off topic]
Thanks Wayne!  Next summer we're planning on wheeling in New Mexico, Colorado again, and many more trails in Moab.  Doubt if we will get much further west.  The tires are about 75% - when they're done, we'll do Mickey Thompsons or something else.
[/off topic]

[off topic] try BFG KMTs or Interco Trxus Mt for a great all around tire. Be carful out there Wheelin. There is a bug that bites you and makes your wallet bleed all its cash. J(just) E(empty) E(every) P(pocket) ;)
I wheel a lot of Farmington Colorado and Moab so let me know if you need anything, Rescue or emergency fix. Wheelers are quick to help out I have found and I know most of the shops in those areas.
[off topic]

As far as the leak goes I use a lot of reusable hose and fittings in the race cars and crawlers that I build. For light duty stuff like your jacks it would serve you well and be easy to fix if you were to have a leak on the road. I leave the line long and can cut the line and redo the hose end if it has a problem.

For Heavier use like the Tractor or serious hydraulic machinery you can't beat a crimped end and double lined hose for sure.

Good luck with the leak fix

cbeierl said:
I developed a leak in the same area and it turned out that a couple of the hex-head plugs on top of the manifold were loose--once I tightened everything the leak was gone.

I just experienced the same bronze hex head leaks... one was spurting fluid during operation but stopped when jacks were cycled off. I found all four were only finger tight. The one spurting fluid was less than finger tight. Since owning the coach from new delivery, there has never been service to that maniforld assembly. How those hex heads loosen..puzzles me..

I tightened all four back to about 25 # torque..Leak fixed. :)

So..if you see puddled on ground hyd fluid under HWH pump compartment, and you find lots of fluid on top of the pump manifold, check all the top bronze hex heads for security.

Charlie - I'm embarrassed that I still haven't addressed my leak, been totally focused on upgrades for the Rubicon.  We're having unusually warm weather and tomorrow will be a good day to get after the leak.  Thanks for the tip and I'll report back in what I find.

I have had more problems with hydraulics than all the rest combined. HWH fittings are poor, in my opinion..have replaced 6 hoses, 5 fittings and the electric motor which runs the hydraulic pump.

HWH has been very good over the past 4 years. Even gave me free 2 day air freight this year on the Motor.  Seems like 4 of the fittings were going into the pump. I also went to 2 of their Master service centers, one in Elkhart , In. and the other in El Cajon, Ca. Good folks both places.

John Canfield said:
Charlie - I'm embarrassed that I still haven't addressed my leak, been totally focused on upgrades for the Rubicon.  We're having unusually warm weather and tomorrow will be a good day to get after the leak.  Thanks for the tip and I'll report back in what I find.

John,

Understand.

I'm playing Snowbird in MH in FL for a couple of weeks. Nice to get out of South Dakota for a warmer bit.

My LED and headlight retrofits work great..it's great to see and be seen on the road. The one late drive day into the night was incredibly comfortable with the new HIR high and low beams.

Off to bass fishing at Lake Okeechobee, FL.

Good luck on hyd leak search..I was really surprised by this last hex bolt leak..they were surprisingly loose. :eek:

Charlie

roadking52 said:
Jim,

I have a jack that will not retract in hot weather, but come cooler weather, is the fastest retracting jack on the coach.  Even opening the T handles on the solenoids makes no difference.  Of course HWH has never heard of such a thing and suggested the new style springs, which the jack already has.  In hot weather spraying water from a hose on the jack will make it retract, but without that, a shovel is required to prize it up. 

If you figure out what's going on, please let us all know.

Extend all jacks. Get 3M Dry Silicone Spray.(Walmart-Auto). Spray all jack shafts thoroughly all around and up into the shaft main seal area. Retract jacks. Your slow jack should work a lot faster in hot wx. When/if it slows up again...respray it up around the shaft seal again and retract..

Charlie

tallyo said:
I have had more problems with hydraulics than all the rest combined. HWH fittings are poor, in my opinion..have replaced 6 hoses, 5 fittings and the electric motor which runs the hydraulic pump.

My only issue with HWH until this leak was slow retracting jacks which was fixed by HWH by replacing four jacks about three years ago and we now have 60,000+ miles on our rig.  All of the other problems we've had have been randomly scattered between the house and chassis.  Go figure.

Hi,
As far as the jacks that retract cold and not when hot; I'd expect this is a difference in coefficient of expansion issue. Could be the pistons are aluminum and the housing steel, or more likely oversize o-rings (or very hard due to overheating at some point). Probably would require an overhaul to fix, but should be pretty simple IF you can easily access them.
Ernie

John Canfield said:

Our last leak...I lost count on the number... was an o-ring in the manifold.  If it's not one thing with HWH, it's three others.

Opened up the steps and wow, we do have a leak - the pan under the HWH stuff has caught a bit of fluid that I need to clean up.  Yuk.  Here are a couple of pictures I just took.  I'll get the tools out after lunch and cross my fingers that a little wrench work will fix the problem.

Attachments

• HWHleak1.jpg
    HWHleak1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
  • HWHleak2.jpg
    HWHleak2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 63
Here's one of those "stupid" questions!  What does HWH mean?  I thought it was "hot water heater" but from the comments made, sounds like it's more to do with hydraulics.  Thanks...

4ducksrus said:
Here's one of those "stupid" questions!  What does HWH mean?  I thought it was "hot water heater" but from the comments made, sounds like it's more to do with hydraulics.  Thanks...
Who knows?  They're web site says they make Hard Working Hydraulics.  But, in answer to your question, HWH is a manufacturing company manufacturing a broad range of hydraulic devices - RV jacks & slide hydraulics to name a couple that apply here.

Learn something everyday - I never knew what HWH stood for  ???

Anyway, looks like I got off easy/cheap - one of the plugs in the top of manifold was fairly loose and another one was a little loose.  Cleaned up the mess and operated the jacks and it appears the leak is fixed.

John Canfield said:
......Anyway, looks like I got off easy/cheap - one of the plugs in the top of manifold was fairly loose and another one was a little loose.  Cleaned up the mess and operated the jacks and it appears the leak is fixed.
I think Charlie (Pubtym) has ESP!  I've seen him nail so many issues on the forums...it's almost scarry.  :)
Merry Christmas to all,
Bill

Molaker said:
Who knows?  They're web site says they make Hard Working Hydraulics.  But, in answer to your question, HWH is a manufacturing company manufacturing a broad range of hydraulic devices - RV jacks & slide hydraulics to name a couple that apply here.

I thought it means: Help, What Happened?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom