Danger in your paneling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cape Westy

When we bought our new RV a few years ago we were never told this...Upon opening one of the overhead cabinets int he kitchen we noticed a sticker on the back wall.  After getting out a flashlight and putting on my glasses I found there was a warning about Formaldehyde (sp?).  It stated that the paneling was made using formaldehyde and that it could cause lung problems and has been known to be a carcinogen.  This is a wonderful after the fact thing to find out seeing as that I am on oxygen now, I have COPD.  Does any else know about this and why the dealer didn't tell us up front?

sorry to hear of your issues. I used to work for an RV manufacturer, and I remember wondering about that very sticker. I was talking to someone who used to work there a while back , we aren`t that old but we have the same heath issues, and were kinda amazed at how many stroke or cancer victims we had in our group , just a coincidence I hope. I recall asking about the sticker , and usually was given a sideways smile and they walked away. I`m amazed its been unqustioned so much. Best of luck to you.

Formaldehyde is used in just about every RV made. The higher end Class A coaches don't have as much of a problem as the less expensive trailers, etc. The A-Liner popup is about the worst I have ever encountered. It would take a couple of hours after the initial opening before we could start a PDI on a new unit.

Anyone following the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina should have heard about the problem in the FEMA trailers. They were apparently made with cheap materials containing a lot of formaldehyde.

It will dissipate over time. Some units take longer than others. The dealership where i used to work recently started placing a warning label in every unit. The owner wanted us to put it on the counter but we convinced him it was better in a galley cabinet where new owners would see it and not remove and throw it away. They certainly would not leave it on the counter.

California passed a new law several years ago requiring drastically reduced formaldehyde in phase one and virtually none in phase two. We are entering phase two. For my company we use California compliant products for sales in every state.
My industry (furniture) said the California laws would be devastating when the were introduced several years before the effective date. The said the cost of plywood and particle board would double. In fact there was NO increase in cost and we now have a virtually formaldehyde free product.

The feds are looking to mimic the California law and I again am hearing all the doomsday talk about increased cost -

There is glue technology that will economically replace formaldehyde based glues.

My new motorhome was built with California approved products and had no formaldehyde. Much better than when I picked up my 2000 motorhome in which you could smell and feel (in the eyes) the formaldehyde.

ken

Ken,

It's great to hear they are replacing formaldehyde in the manufacturing process! I really did not enjoy working on rigs that burned my eyes and made it hard to breath!

Sorry we missed you at Happy Trails!!!

Hi

In China there are a number of house plants ranked highly for specifically removing/absorbing Formaldehyde and helping to purify the air, scientifically proven plants are:-
- Bamboo Palm
- Rubber Plant
- English Ivy
- Ficus Alii
- Boston Fern
- Peace Lily

Certainly English Ivy and Boston fern i would suggest are quite easy to keep in an RV

Cheers
Gary

Back
Top Bottom