Entry Door Lock Tumbler came out with the KEY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA4WP

Hello, all....

When I unlocked the entry door on our 2004 Journey, the tumbler assembly came out with the key.  My first impression was that someone had been messing with the MH, trying to gain unauthorized entry.  I don't really  know.  Upon examination of  the cylindrical tumbler assembly, I noted one of the five flat things (not a locksmith) was separated, appearing to be broken.  Using the key, I attempted to turn the assembly in the door; it would not turn.  I tried to replace the assembly in the opening; there does not seem to be anything that would hold the assembly in place.  I am wondering if the lock is like the other body parts on this MH and were glued on????  I find that a screwdriver will turn the latch and unlock or lock??? the door when the tumbler assembly is removed. 

Fortunately there is another lock with a separate key which moves a deadbolt.  That will have to suffice for the time being. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Wendell 

Many lock assemblies have a clip that holds the lock assembly into the little slot that you have. It the clip breaks, or is broke on purpose, the lock assembly will fall out and not want to stay put.  That is actually how thieves "punch" a vehicle ignition with a slide hammer. The lock assembly can be replaced fairly easy by a locksmith.  That is also why you were able to unlock the door with a screwdriver when the lock assembly was removed. 

Only you will be able to tell if it was an accident or punched.  If nothing is missing it was most likely just a broken lock.  The part may need to come from Winne, I don't know if the lock assemblies are specific to them or not. 

Thanks, Sarge....

Nothing seems to be missing, including the 32" LCD up front, bolted to the frame up front.  I don't see any marks on either the door or the key slot, so I suppose the lockset died an unnatural death. 

I checked out your blog....we were in Thomaston, CT for a couple of weeks over the September-October monthend.  We have been to Acadia and Provencetown years ago.  Ate great Lobster at a Lobsterfest in Winter Habor? Maine and had to use a rock to break the lobster claws.  Great blueberry pie!

I may try to see if I can get a locksmith to come out here and look at the door.

Thanks,
Wendell

My "tracks" may be seen on www.aprs.fi/aa4wp-9 

Back
Top Bottom