Nylon Slide Bushings - Itasca Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today, we tackled replacing the nylon slide bearings in our '07 Journey. We tried lifting the slide gently with a hydraulic jack and didn't feel comfortable and not wanting to damage the slide, we decided to support the fully extended slide and loosen the outer extension square tubing by loosening the vertical adjusting bolts.(Move only the bottom lock nut leaving the top nut in original position.) We used a small pry bar to push down on the tube allowing removal of the bottom bearings. After reinstalling new bearings and retighting bolts to original position, (some slight adjustment may be necessary to obtain original alignment.)
Here are some pics of our procedure. Hope they help you Wagonmaster.

Iron Horse

Attachments

• DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC01026.JPG
    DSC01026.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01021.JPG
    DSC01021.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01022.JPG
    DSC01022.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 127
More info.. ???

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/slide-out-nylon-bushing-supports-on-older-winnebagos-752.html

We had ours done several years ago at a dealership here in PA.  The HWH tec guided the dealer tec through the process. They need replaced again. Poor desigh, I think.

Bea PA said:
We had ours done several years ago at a dealership here in PA.  The HWH tec guided the dealer tec through the process. They need replaced again. Poor desigh, I think.
That's terrible to need something like this done every several years when it seems to be quite a job.  As thin and narrow as these bushings are you'd think someone would have developed a way to change them as easy as changing motor oil and filter.

One of my lower bushings has broken in half and turned sideways but seems to be holding in place.  HWH doesn't recommend any lubrication on their slides but when I discovered the broken one a couple years ago I took some very fine steel wool and polished the bottom of the ram until it was glass smooth and keep it sprayed with silicone.  Must be a poor design someplace as they keep changing it every year or so.  Mine (2004 Meridian 36G) doesn't look anything like Iron Horse's pictures above and the pictures jimandsue60 posted a year or so ago was different also.

Allen

Allen, good heads up, I checked mine a couple weeks ago, and the drivers side bushings were both
in two pieces,  the side does go in and out ok, I'll do the steel wool thingie and spray.

thanks,

Phelpo

John Canfield said:
Was that spray or pray:D :D :D

Believe me John, I do a lot of praying every time  I get the coach out on the road (considering all the break-downs posted on the Forum) and keep my fingers crossed each time I extend  the living room slide.  The room must be settling more all the time as the bushings wear since it drags more and more on the thin plastic poster board we keep under each end of the side to protect the carpet as the room runs in/out.

Allen

Wagonmaster2 said:
Believe me John, I do a lot of praying every time  I get the coach out on the road (considering all the break-downs posted on the Forum) and keep my fingers crossed each time I extend  the living room slide.  The room must be settling more all the time as the bushings wear since it drags more and more on the thin plastic poster board we keep under each end of the side to protect the carpet as the room runs in/out.

Allen

That was one of the reasons we decided to have Winne replace the bushings.  We could see the impression in the carpet from the slide getting deeper all the time.  Replacing the bushings raised the slide about 1/4". 

I asked Forest City to adjust the slide up 1/8"-1/4" the last time I was there (surely there must be a simple way to raise the slide mechanism)  but all they said was that everything must be correct since all the outside trim lines up from front to back.  I said I couldn't  care less about the outside it was the inside I was concerned about - but it was all ignored.

I may have them change the bushings if I ever make the 800 mile trip back again.

Allen

Interesting issues.  I have slight marks on my carpet from the slides going in/out, but a close inspection of my bushings yesterday didn't reveal any problems or detectable wear. 

Best Regards!

Back
Top Bottom