New Verizon 3G data plan: 10GB for $80/mo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSian

Multiple sources are reporting that rumored "tiered pricing" for Verizon's data
service will start on Oct. 28

Among the options rumored to become available is one that provides 10GB of data
for $80/mo

I think its a good thing that verizon realizes some folks could really use more
than 5GB of data in a month.

Other rumored pricing can be seen at my blogpost

That's not going to help those of us with a USB modem. The 5g cap at $60 is still in effect.

I'm glad to see they kept the unlimited smartphone plans.  Hopefully PdaNet will keep working.

I'm confident there will be tiers for USB modems as well. The 4G rollout is supposed to be before the end of the year and I'm guessing the new tier plans will be available by then, for both 3G and 4G.

I sure would love to have a cheap tier for my modem over the winter, when we are at our home base and don't use it much. Hope its not just wishful thinking!

Ned said:
I'm glad to see they kept the unlimited smartphone plans.  Hopefully PdaNet will keep working.

Are the smartphone unlimited plans anymore "unlimited" than the original air card "unlimited" plans which it turns out are limited to 5GB???

We've had the USB air card for >3 years and just got the DW a Droid with the unlimited plan.  I need to do some homework to educate myself a bit but it sounds like I might want to dump my $60/mo air card in favor of getting a second Droid so long as the hot spot features and speed, etc don't cause us to sacrifice too much performance.

Rick

The Smartphone plans are truly unlimited but do NOT include the Verizon Wireless tethering or hot spot features.  Those are extra cost and are limited data plans.  The unlimited data is data used on the phone, but for now, PdaNet and similar apps allow tethering without a tethering plan.  I suspect Verizon Wireless will ignore those uses unless it gets abused.

Note that Alex said "rumored", so until VZW makes an official announcement, it's not real.  VZW has said that tiered data plans are coming, we just await the details and Alex's rumored plans are probably correct.

I'm considering upgrading my phone to the PalmPre? and adding unlimited Internet for about $29/month. That phone or a couple more have a built in hotspot that I can connect to with my lap top. All ready been told Sprint coverage would be unlikely at home so considering the higher priced Verizon. We haven't had many problems with Verizon's coverage so far.Anybody have any advice on this as far as how it works or if it's worth the money while travelling or as an only phone and source of internet?.

I'm considering upgrading my phone to the PalmPre? and adding unlimited Internet for about $29/month. That phone or a couple more have a built in hotspot that I can connect to with my lap top.

Careful with this - "technically" it is not allowed on the "unlimited" plans, and you will need to pay for the tethering option. I hear a lot of my friends say that the carriers can not tell if you are tethering, but I prefer to not take the chance - I really don't want a $400 unplanned phone bill.

Our plan is to use the Virgin Mobile MiFi currently and have a Verizon 2200 Mifi as backup. The VirginMobile is $40/mth unlimited data and the Verizon we are getting the 5GB per month plan. Between the two we hope to have coverage most places. If we find big holes in coverage, then we will possibly add an AT&T MiFi to them. This is all tentative and intended to carry us over until the "4g" coverage begins to fill out. ONce that happens we hope that carriers will begin offering something reasonable to tempt us to migrate to the faster service.

Frank

If your willing to root your phone, Barnacle Wifi works great and no cables to deal with.  This is for Droid.

I received an offer from Verizon today to upgrade my 3G plan to something called 4G LTE.  The new 4G has two tiers: 5GB for $50/mn & 10GB for $80/mn.  Usage in excess of monthly allowance is $10/GB for either plan.  I would also have to buy a new Pantech UML 290 4G USB Modem for $99.99.  This would require a new 2yr contract. 

ceemike said:
I received an offer from Verizon today to upgrade my 3G plan to something called 4G LTE.  The new 4G has two tiers: 5GB for $50/mn & 10GB for $80/mn.  Usage in excess of monthly allowance is $10/GB for either plan.  I would also have to buy a new Pantech UML 290 4G USB Modem for $99.99.  This would require a new 2yr contract.
I have just upgraded on my "new every 2" plan and the modem was $39.00 online, and I picked up the 10 GB plan.  It does require a new contract, but I wasn't planning to drop it anytime soon anyway.  And $10.00 per gig overage is a LOT better than $250.00  ;D.  I've clocked up to 20 Mb/sec in DC!! I'm also getting 4 - 5 bars in my office, where 3G would only give 2 - 3 bars.

Back
Top Bottom