2011 Alaska Trip Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Linda, I've added your ideas to my list.

We drove the Icefields Parkway in 2006 when we were in Canada; then went onto Baniff, Jasper and Lake Louise.  On this trip we will be going straight up through CA, OR, WA and then into BC.

At the moment I'm researching everything I can about Medicare...<aaarrrggg>  I turn 65 in September and it looks like I need to sign up and get stuff figured out before I leave in late May/June so that I can get signed up correctly.  Talk about a convoluted MESS.  I have a college degree and this stuff is still confusing. 

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Thanks Linda, I've added your ideas to my list.

We drove the Icefields Parkway in 2006 when we were in Canada; then went onto Baniff, Jasper and Lake Louise.  On this trip we will be going straight up through CA, OR, WA and then into BC.

At the moment I'm researching everything I can about Medicare...<aaarrrggg>  I turn 65 in September and it looks like I need to sign up and get stuff figured out before I leave in late May/June so that I can get signed up correctly.  Talk about a convoluted MESS.  I have a college degree and this stuff is still confusing. 

Marsha~

You have my sympathies.  If misery loves company.....I turn 65 in April, and Medicare decisions are what I have to do when we return.  I am dreading it.  However, as with so many things, if we put one foot in front of the other, eventually we will get the path walked.

I LOVE BC--it is amazing.  My daughter and I spent 2 wonderful weeks in Vancouver and Victoria.  If you have time, go to Mintner Gardens. We liked them even better than Buchart Gardens. There's a great raptor center in Corvallis, OR.  You are going to have such fun!

Linda

Marsha/CA said:

Marsha,

If you are already drawing Social Security you don't have to do anything. They will automatically enroll you in Medicare part A and B.

You do need to decide on a supplement provider of your choice.

Hi Don,

We get Railroad Retirement instead of SS and they do the same.  I've been researching supplemental plans; but (drumroll....) I think I have it figured out.  My problem is that we will be gone from home and in Alaska from late May until the first of September when I turn 65.  It seems like I can get this all set up to kick into place 6 months before my birthdate month.  I was worried about paperwork and getting information back and forth while on the road.

My question re supplemental is whether I am covered out of the country.  What do people do who travel to Europe while on Medicare?

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
My question re supplemental is whether I am covered out of the country.  What do people do who travel to Europe while on Medicare?

Depends on your supplemental insurance.  My Medigap policy covers foreign travel.  There is a $200 deductible.  After that I pay 20%.  The good thing about going with original Medicare is that you can see any doctor that will accept Medicare.  The supplements aren't cheap, but we have been very satisfied with the AARP Medigap policy. 

Jeannine

Back on topic....

One of the highlights of our second trip to Alaska was a tour to Kotezbuhl (spelling!) and Nome.  We flew there from Anchorage and added an overnight in Nome to the tour package. 

Our favorite part of Alaska is the Kenai Peninsula.  Try to be in Seward for the 4th of July celebration.

Jeannine

Fishing with the bears had to be a highlight. We took a float plane from Soldotna that flew us across Cook Sound landed, then right into a boat. The bears were awesome. The two of us caught 4 fish. Allowed 6. Good eating but the bears were the best show. 

I agree about the flight around Mt. Mc Kinley.

We are going up to BC this summer. Going to do the TOW and Cassier. Not going any farther into AK than Tok as we have been there done that. Then over to the Ice Fields.

On the way up at Whitehorse, don't miss the Follies. Great show.

Marsha,
  I live in AK and have made the drive three times (99, 02, and 07).  Each time I was in a pick-up pulling a 21? car hauler loaded with about 10K.  That is my ?credentials?, so for what it?s worth, here is my .02?
  Top 3- I could list more, but you can?t do everything on a vacation.
Cassier Highway ? This was in 1999 and everyone said I couldn?t/shouldn?t and I did.  90% unpaved and muddy then, not sure now.
Homer ? It?s a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem?nuff said
Combat Fishing ? Russian river Reds
2. No regrets on my travels.
3. Full size Spare and a Milepost are a must.
4. I knew common issues with my vehicle and had them.  Like Belts, idler pullies, fuel filters and every tool had and knew how to use.  Even a floor jack ? saved my  butt when I lost an axle in Whitehorse! 8)
In 99 rocks took all the paint of the trailer fenders and shattered every light I had on it, I like lights and it had plenety?.lol ;D
Also see my post @ http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=38486.0

Derby6 said:
Cassier Highway ? This was in 1999 and everyone said I couldn?t/shouldn?t and I did.  90% unpaved and muddy then, not sure now.
According to random looks on Google Streetview it would appear the Cassiar Highway is now paved.  And new enough that it looks in decent shape.

The middle Cassiar may still be oiled gravel & dirt. When the weather is dry and the surface treatment recent, it is almost indistinguishable from macadam. But add some water and it can go to pot(holes) in a hurry. I've traveled it when 50 mph was reasonable, and other times when even 5 mph was torture.

Three years ago they were rebuilding the middle and north section with new brides and real blacktop. By now it may have washed away. :D

Wow. Blacktop all the way, even if washed out here and there, would be a big improvement.

We had the good fortune to drive south on the Cassiar once in mid-September, right after they had finished refurbishing it for the season. Firm and smooth and no dust or potholes. A far cry from our previous trip in late spring, with 25 miles of it washed out by the spring thaw and only partially repaired

We were down the Cassier in September.  Except for  a couple stretches that are under construction, it was all paved.  Lots of places up there, you can actually drive a more consistent speed on the gravel roads because they are much easier to rapair and don't have the 20 mph frost heave areas like the paved roads.  If you want to avoid a grungy vehicle or are in a hurry, don't drive, fly!!!!

The trip over to Sterling, BC and Hyder, Ak are a must if you drive down the Cassier.

Hi Marsha,

If you can manage it (stomach it, may be more like it  ;D ), you may want to try the road into Telegraph Creek along the Cassiar. Beware, this is NOT the place to take your trailer. This is a side trip with your toad.

http://www.vancouverisland.com/regions/towns/?townid=3675

Of course, your Milepost is a must.

DH and I did a trip to Alaska with his parents when I was pregnant with my first. We drove from Prince George to Prince Rupert, and took the ferry up, and drove back down. I would recommend this trip in a heartbeat. The ferry up to Alaska is magical. And the drive back down is thrilling.

If by chance you're going up from Prince George through to Fort Nelson, and up along that way, I would highly recommend the Liard Hot Springs near Fort Nelson. I've personally never been, but DH has, and it's on my must-get-to list.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/liard_rv_hs/

You will find most conveniences most of the way along, whichever way you travel. I would suggest, though, that you stock up in Prince George, because things tend to get more expensive past here. If you're going west, Terrace would be another reasonable place to stock up, or if you're going north, either Dawson Creek or Fort St. John, though again, more expensive.

This will be a most spectacular trip! Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, Campergirl; especially the stocking up locations. 

We are intense planners; but often change direction if the other way looks good.  Many on this forum have been to Alaska and their logs/trips are posted here.  We've been using their information to plan our trip and check areas we would like to go.  It looks like we will be leaving central California sometime around the middle of May and not get back home until the first of October.  We are very excited.  A couple of years ago we went to Newfoundland, Labrador and the Canadian Maritimes which was a fabulous trip.  I'm sure this one will be just as great.

Thanks again for the info.

Marsha~

Gary RV Roamer said:
That would be Stewart, BC, but I agree 100%!
The Bear Glacier is particularly spectactular especially later in the summer when the snow has melted so you can see the blue of the ice.  If you can head on up the road past Hyder to the mine site.  I say can because it's a one lane road, used to be radio controlled, and may be closed to tourists.

Tony_Alberta said:
The Bear Glacier is particularly spectactular especially later in the summer when the snow has melted so you can see the blue of the ice.  If you can head on up the road past Hyder to the mine site.  I say can because it's a one lane road, used to be radio controlled, and may be closed to tourists.

Three four years ago the road was open to tourists up to the top of the lower glacier and there were vehicles going beyond that point.

Back
Top Bottom