GM TBI 454

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zukIzzy

Hey all

Thought I would share a tip that I was reminded of this past week. A Buddy's Blazer with a TBI 454 showed up at the shop on a flatbed. it would start and run fine but in a few minutes it would begin to run rough and they flood out. I could see the injectors working at a full throttle rate even at Idle. I tried to read the codes of the OBD I system but the reader would just flash and Error and the light would blink erratically. I learned the the rig had recently had a major breakdown where the transfercase had thrown a chain at speed and broken the bellhousing and transfer case. These were both repaired but after this incident the running problem began. I ran the chain of events of this failure thru my head and could only imagine the jolt and bouncing around the engine did with the forces that must have been involved with breaking the bellhousing. This lead me to check all the wiring which checked OK. I was puzzled for a while my buddy had replaced all the usual components that cause these systems so I did not see any value in throwing parts at it, when me son walked up and said " Dad you always tell me to check your grounds first. You did that right?" Dang kids of coarse I had not and there dangling on the firewall was a broken groundstrap. A quick bit of work with some 10 gauge wire, solder and some ring terminals making sure battery was grounded to the engine and engine was grounded to the frame and frame was grounded to the body and presto running big block ready for another trip to the desert.

Moral of the story is  "FIRST CHECK ALL THE GROUNDS"

thanks
Wayne

He is a sharp one for sure, takes after his Mom.

I wrote this cause I have seen a few posts here with 545s having these symptoms. I figured some may want to check grounds to the ECM or run new ones to be certain.

wayne

Back
Top Bottom