Moseying #395 S in CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
        Moseying  #395 in California

On  October 6th, we left Kernville, Ca and headed toward Bridgeport, Ca  about 265 miles north.  Our plans were to  see the Fall colors, do some sightseeing and of course some fall fishing.  We got a fairly early start for us and  arrived in Bishop, CA around 1 pm with warning signs lighting up the road  side.  Because of a recent cold fall  storm, all passes were closed and travelers heading north should be prepared to  put on chains.  Well, Tim and I don?t do  chains.  As we were getting fuel I called  the California Highway department to confirm the chain issue and they advised  everything was clear, so off we went.  It  was about 80 miles to Bridgeport, a small little community in the middle of nowhere;  but we had to go over a 8-9000? pass at the Mammoth Lakes area.  Snow was everywhere, very beautiful and the  roads were clear.  We usually tow a  Hyundai Tucson; but decided to take our Chevy diesel 2500 4 wheel drive truck  instead which is not rigged to tow.  I  drove the truck, Tim drove the coach.
Bridgeport  Marina and RV is just south of Bridgeport on the Bridgeport Reservoir.  They have 50 amp service with full hookups,  satellite friendly and an area for Charlie, our 3 year old standard poodle, to  run and play.  He even had access to the  beach on the shoreline?..he was a happy dog!  This reservoir is an outlet for the East Walker River which is noted for  excellent fishing, especially this time of year.
The  weather was unusually cold with the temps in the mid-20s at night and 50s  during the day and the mountains all around us were covered in snow.  However it was sunny, so felt much warmer.  The first day we settled in, then explored  areas of the walker river to fly fish.  It has limited access with thick wild roses and brush near the banks;  but once you get in, it?s fairly easy wading.  We hit the local fly shop where they recommended using ?streamers?.  We spent a couple of days sliding ourselves down  the embankment into the river and caught a few fish.  Tim got a couple of 10-12? trout, I caught  some little ones and accidently snagged a nice size rainbow with the bottom ?copper  john? on a nymph rig.  A nymph rig is  where you have one ?fly? on the line then tie a second ?fly? further down.  Often you put a ?bubble? or yarn above the  flies as an indicator so that you can tell if you?ve had a strike or not,  because the flies are below water line.  I  also tried the streamers in the reservoir, not only right in front of our  coach; but at the dam where apparently everyone else was catching fish except  me.  We had fun; but it was not as  productive as we had hoped.

While in  the area we took time to visit Bodie Ghost Town, an abandoned gold mining town  that used to be home to over 9000 people.  It was fun to walk around seeing old buildings, homes, school house,  brothels and hotels as well as common meeting halls.  The weather was about 45 degrees, windy and  cloudy; but we bundled up, took the fluffy dog with us, and had a great time.

On the  way home, we stopped at an eclectic restaurant across from Willow Creek  Campground, and had dinner.  A woman who  was dining alone asked us to share her bottle of wine.  After talking with her we found she was  related to a neighbor of ours who lives down the street?..what?s that saying:  ?6 degrees of separation?. 
We had  so much fun at the campground and the area that we extended our stay for a  total of 7 nights instead of the 4 we originally planned.  By the time we left and headed back south  toward Lake Crowley most of the snow had melted and it was beginning to warm  up.  We had breakfast in the historic  hotel in Bridgeport?.excellent!!  We  drove over Tioga Pass at 9500? elevation and spent the day in Yosemite National  Park.  At Yosemite, we encountered a bus  load of tourist from Korea who had never seen a standard poodle before.  It was a riot with them taking so many  pictures.  Of course, Charlie thought it  was great fun.
The last full day we were in Bridgeport we drove  down to Mono Lake in Lee Vining and went through the Mono Lake Visitors Center;  then drove down to the South Tufa Mono Lake area.  Tufas are calcium carbonate formations and  are created by fresh water streams flowing into the salty lake of Mono.  In the Spring millions of brine shrimp exist  in Mono Lake and it?s a haven for a wide variety of birds.
Next we  head to Lake Crowley to meet up with our son and his family.

Attachments

• Bodie.jpg
    Bodie.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Bodie2.JPG
    Bodie2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Yosemite .jpg
    Yosemite .jpg
    49 KB · Views: 22
  • MonoLake1.jpg
    MonoLake1.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 20
  • MonoLake2.jpg
    MonoLake2.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 16
Marsha/CA said:
        Moseying  #395 in California

The last full day we were in Bridgeport we drove  down to Mono Lake in Lee Vining and went through the Mono Lake Visitors Center;  then drove down to the South Tufa Mono Lake area.  Tufas are calcium carbonate formations and  are created by fresh water streams flowing into the salty lake of Mono.  In the Spring millions of brine shrimp exist  in Mono Lake and it?s a haven for a wide variety of birds.
Next we  head to Lake Crowley to meet up with our son and his family.

The next time you're in Lee Vining, check out the Whoa Nellie Deli.  It's in the Mobile station on 395 where the Tioga Pass road crosses.  Yup, in the Mobil station.  Gourmet food at very reasonable prices.  My wife cleaned her plate of fish tacos, and she usually won't eat fish.  That is now her favorite stop when in the area.  A definite hidden favorite.

Sounds like you're having fun Marsha. I was waiting for the fishing reports. Did you get to check out the West Walker Upper Owens and Browns Camp, 7 miles off hwy 395, south of the Mammoth airport? The only clue to the turnoff is a small green church at the intersection.

Bodie SP and Mono Lake are both fascinating stops. We took Chris' Dad there on one his visits, en route to fishing.

I haven't been fishing for a while and was getting ant-see (SP?), so I decided to tie.  I got out a book and found some new patterns to try.  I think I like tying just about as well as fishing.

Sure sounds like you had fun. 

Rats, I said West Walker when I meant Upper Owens  :-[ Glad you figured it out Marsha.

[quote author=geodrake]I think I like tying just about as well as fishing.[/quote]

??? George  ???

George, its' 'huh'. Roll the cursor over the respective smiley in message editor to see what it means.

I think it probably means that Tom cannot begin to fathom someone enjoying fly tying in a nice warm house better than getting cold, wet and exhausted while fly fishing.  My Tom suffers from the same "illness".  ;D ;D ;D

Margi

On  Thursday, Oct 14th we left Bridgeport and drove 50 or so miles to  Lake Crowley.  Upon leaving Bridgeport we  realized the coach was taking a couple turns of the ignition to get started.  Thinking it was just the cold weather we  dismissed it and went on.  The colors of  the trees had changed just in the week we were in Bridgeport as we traveled  back south.  One of excursions right  before we left was a trip to Virginia Lakes.  These are deep lakes snuggled together up against a ring of  mountains.  They are crystal clear and  very pristine.  Lots of anglers were  perched on the bank throwing all sorts of lures, bait and whatever else they  could think of trying to catch a fish.  I  tried several lures with my casting rod, but got nothing.  Since we were basically sightseeing, we moved  on.
I  had picked out a couple of places to stay: Convict Lake or a BLM campground  across #395 from Crowley.  We are not all  that fond of boon docking; but a couple of days is not a problem.  We were trying to stay close to Mammoth Lakes  because we were planning a night of shushi with the kids.    I tried to get us into the campground at  Mammoth, but everything was closed for the winter.  The BLM site worked out just fine although we  had to try several sites because they were not very level.  That when we realized that, like in  Bridgeport, it took the coach a couple of turns of the ignition to get it  started. 
Since  there is only one tree in the BLM campground, all satellites worked and my  Senior Pass meant we could stay for a mere $2.50/night; guess you can?t beat  that.  On Friday, I drove down to Bishop  to get groceries, stop at the famous Schat?s Bakery, gather information from  the visitor?s center and fill the truck tank.  Tim in the meantime cleaned the cocah and called our diesel mechanic.  He also gathered info from the Caterpillar  website.  We also made an appointment to  have the coach looked at on Tuesday when we will be in Bishop for a week.
Late  Friday, the kids arrived and the next morning we packed lunches and drove to  Convict Lake.  They have a canoe, so  paddled around the lake with our 6 year old granddaughter and her casting  rod.  The came back empty handed.  Tim and I stayed on the bank throwing out  strippers and not having any luck.  Once  again there were tons of people on the banks fishing.  The tree colors were just beautiful.
We  then moved over to the Upper Owens River near Owens Brown Camp.  The campground is closed for the season.  This is a fairly technical area for fly  fishing; not only the fish; but often the wind can be a problem as its all open  farm fields for cattle grazing.  Our  original thought was to nymph, especially if there was wind.  The river is wadeable and narrow in some  places.  The water was so low that  nymphing was not good, so we switched to dry flies.  Because my son?s rod was already set up for  dry fly, I took his rod and put on my ?parachute adams? on a 9? 4X leader line.  He wanted to try more nymphing, so he took my  rod looking for deeper water. 
I  have to tell you I am now in lust for a new rod.  He has a Sage 9? 2 piece RPL+ 4 weight.  It?s a very fast action rod which helps me  with my casting.  I?m not a strong caster  and often the end of my line collapses because my wrist bends.  With his rod, I could feel it load up behind  me and lay right down with no collapsing.  I think it?s the stiffness of the 2 piece that makes some/most of the  different.  I have a 4 piece and it?s  pretty fluid and flexible.  Maybe I?ll  ask Santa for one for Christmas; although I understand they are not making them  any longer. 
So,  off I go to a convergence of a couple of the braids of the Owens River while  Tim and Chris (son) head off another direction.  I had a ball; caught 2 12-14? rainbows and some little ones.  The wind was on and off, but doable.  I fished the seams of the water and the  undercuts which is where they were ?hanging? out.  It was  a fun day.  Since we were close to  Mammoth Lakes, we cleaned ourselves up a bit and headed to Shogun?s for sushi.
The  next morning the kids headed back home; actually Chris went down to the  Pleasant Valley area to fish the lower Owens River.  He called to tell us not to try it.  The water was too high and fast for fishing.  We moved down to Bishop at midday to the  Highland RV park on the north side of Bishop.  Tim used his new technique for starting the coach and she turned right  over.  Life is good; catching fish on the  Owens is better!!!

LOL Margi, you're right on. George and Tom need to get out more  ;D

Thanks for the report Marsha. I'd forgotten about the winds sometimes getting up.

Last time I was there, a local was fishing the Upper Owens with large bead head nymphs, almost like streamers. He was trying to coach the fish out from those bank undercuts.

Marsha

Mammoth Mountain RV park, 800-582-4603 is open all year with limitations during winter months. We used to stay their when we skied.....  2667 Main St, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

Thanks Terry. 

I had a friend who was just there right before we left home and she told me it was closing on October 1st.  I didn't even bother to check; but it sure looks open to me on their website.  We'll have to go there next trip.  We are now down in Bishop and will head home on Sunday.  Thanks for the info.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom