Loud ratcheting sound at key on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrymul

I have a 2010 38' Winnebago Adventurer (gas), on a 24,000 # Ford Chassis, that has started making a loud ratcheting sound in the dash when the key is turned to the on position, and stays on until the engine has started. If left with key on, not started it will buzz forever. It's loud enough I can't hear if the engine has started. I have it in a Winnebago authorized repair facility for warantee repairs.

The service rep is telling me it's a normal thing, then again their not sure, thinking it's something to do with the transmission Park something or druther, they're not specific. I asked how I'm supposed to know the engine has started, he says look at the tach!

Does this make sense to anyone here? Thanks, Larry

Hi Larry and welcome!

Not sure about the noise - maybe you should give Winnebago Owner Relations a call and run that noise by them.

It takes a while to work through issues with a new coach - just about all of us have been through that regardless of manufacturer.

Hmm, I'm amazed the repair facility tells me it's normal, and I need to watch the tach to determine the engine has started! I'll try to find contact information for Winnebago Industries and see if they can help. the repair facility is a joke, Winnebago has no idea! Welcome to Texas, eh?

Thanks for the replies, Larry

I like Gary's idea of getting it to a Ford chassis shop and let them listen.  The easiest thing to do of course is to call Winnie OR and describe the noise to them.

Where in Texas?

Could be the pump on the brake system. Mine is rather noisy but not as you seem to describe.
The pump runs so you will have brakes when the engine is not running and shuts down as soon as the engine cranks.
It will be a Ford system, any Ford truck dealer should be able to help.

EDIT:
Just realized that the pump only runs when ignition is on and brake pedal is depressed.

Wizard46 said:
Could be the pump on the brake system. Mine is rather noisy but not as you seem to describe.
The pump runs so you will have brakes when the engine is not running and shuts down as soon as the engine cranks.
It will be a Ford system, any Ford truck dealer should be able to help.

EDIT:
Just realized that the pump only runs when ignition is on and brake pedal is depressed.

Wrong.  My pump runs regardless of whether the pedal is depressed or not.  Always has.  And it's loud as heck, and there is no mistaking it.

Sure way to tell is to push the pedal a bit when you hear it.  You'll feel it through the pedal.  At least I do. 

John Canfield said:
I like Gary's idea of getting it to a Ford chassis shop and let them listen.  The easiest thing to do of course is to call Winnie OR and describe the noise to them.

Where in Texas?

I'm in Georgetown, about 30 miles north of Austin. I think there's a Winnebago dealer in the Houston area, about 175 miles.

Crestview RV in Buda is (or was) a dealer.  We used to live in Austin, it has changed to where we don't recognize it any longer.  You are about three days from the factory - go north in I-35.

My coach is still in Crestview, 14 weeks now, they claim to be waiting for authorization to repair a small one inch long portion of bubbled paint along the beltline. My calls aren't returned, feedback is telling me emails are deleted without being read, I'm in awe! The Service Manager only refers me back to the service writer who shrugs and promises to keep me informed. I'm close to visiting the owner or general manager. Nothing against Winnebago, and I'm not here to vent.

What I am here for is, I can't find any reference in all the documents I received about something called "owner relations". Can someone enlighten me, a phone number, email address or something?

Thanks, Larry

I have a feeling  it may be your control (vacuum)  that controls where the air comes out for you heater or AC, defrosters, floor, dash vents etc.  My sons' Explorer does that sometimes

Mine makes the same sound, but stops when the engine starts.  I asked when I first bought the coach and was told it was normal.  I don't remember what they said it was.

I think what your hearing is normal.  Open the hood and listen I don't think it will take you long to find the source of the noise.  I have found the booster motor seems to be louder than it was 4 or 5 years ago.  But they have always been loud.  A good friend of mine that was in the sand and gravel business years ago had all Ford trucks several of which were gas engines and had the booster.  He found a person the put in a time delay for the relay on the booster.  Once you turned the key on you had about 5 to 10 seconds to start the engine before the booster would start. The booster does not run once the engine starts.  Reason he did this was his drivers had a problem telling when the engine started and he lost starter and ring gear teeth.  Now I have no idea if this modification interfered with the booster motor if the engine stalled as it was designed.  But I have kicked around the idea of adding such a time delay on our Ford.  I'm sure you could do the same by just adding a switch and turning it off and and back on after the engine started.  But I'm not sure I would always remember to turn it back on. I'm not advising anyone to do any of this, I'm just saying I have seen it done.  In case of a stall on the engine that booster is a life saver, so don't disable it.  John delete this note if you think it might get some of the members into an unsafe condition by trying to do such a mod.

larrymul said:
What I am here for is, I can't find any reference in all the documents I received about something called "owner relations". Can someone enlighten me, a phone number, email address or something?

Larry - that information is in the Winnebago Resources post near the top of this board.  Since I'm such a helpful guy, Here is the contact info.

Back
Top Bottom