In motion sat problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The BOW won't work with all the DW satellites. ?I believe it's limited to 19 degrees of maximum separation and DTV is on 101.

You can update the KVH with a Motosat :)

I also have a Motosat antenna minus the Nomad controller. Bought it from Jerry Fitzgerald when he updated to a HDTV antenna, but I decided not to use it. One caveat - it's not an in-motion antenna.

I've not seen the value of an in-motion antenna (I know you do, Terry :) ) and wouldn't pay the extra money for one.  In fact, my manual Winegard is much faster than any automatic.

Ned said:
I've not seen the value of an in-motion antenna (I know you do, Terry :) ) and wouldn't pay the extra money for one.? In fact, my manual Winegard is much faster than any automatic.

Just as my manual DW is faster than any Automatic. ;D ;D

Ned said:
The BOW won't work with all the DW satellites.  I believe it's limited to 19 degrees of maximum separation and DTV is on 101.

Help me understand this Ned. My BOW has a total of 26 degrees of adjustment (19 degrees one way and 7 degrees the other). It also fits on either side of the dish, which might suggest a total of 38 degrees of adjustment. Which DW satellites will it specifically not work for? (I don't have a clue where they all are).

Ron, which DW sat are you on when you're also able to receive DTV?

I think it can only be used with satellites within 19 degrees each other.  The 38 degrees is around the center but is a maximum of 19 on one side and 7 on the other.

From the datastormusers.com glossary:

BOW
Bird-on-a-wire, pronounced as a word as in Bow and Arrow. Refers to an extension bracket and LNB that is attached to the side of the main Internet LNB and allows reception of satellite TV simultaneously with the Internet connection.

There are several BOWs available, allowing one or more of the following offsets from the Internet satellite: 10 degrees west, 2 degrees west, 7 degrees east, and 16 degrees east. The proper combination of Internet satellite, TV satellite, and BOW is necessary to get service.

The three kits are (see the links for pictures):

SatKitA is used to see 101 DirecTV from G4R 99, or 119 (Dish, or DirecTV HD) from SatMex5 117

SatKitB is used to see 101 DirecTV or 110 Dish/DirecTV from SatMex5 117

SatKitC is used to see 101 DirecTV from G11 91

There are DW satellites at 83, 87, 127 that may not work with the BOW because the satellites are too far apart.

Since I'm on SatMex 5, I'm not sure from that which one I have.

Tom said:
Since I'm on SatMex 5, I'm not sure from that which one I have.

You have the universal BOW that will work on most sats with DTV.? I think there is only one DW sat that it won't work on and that is 127.  I have the same BOW since i changed to AMC9

SatKitA or B would seem to work. ?However, I realized my 'rithmatic wasn't so good. ?The 83 and 87 degree birds are only 18 and 14 degrees from the 101 DTV bird so should work fine. ?The 127 DW bird may be too far east to work with DTV but should work with Dish at 119. ?There are also some new universal kits that may extend the allowable separation a bit more. ?Anyone interested should contact a dealer who will know what will work.

Ron said:
You have the universal BOW that will work on most sats with DTV.

Not according to Ned. Should I ask for my money back?  ;D

Tom said:
Not according to Ned. Should I ask for my money back?? ?;D

Nah your BOW is the universal one.  Should you change to AMC9 for example you would replace the mounting plate and hang it on the other side and set as indicated in the instructions.  I am quite sure the only DW SAT it would not work with DTV on is 127.

Tom,

(I don't have a clue where they all are).
Nor does Hughes, the government (pick one) or anyone else for that matter. ;D

It also fits on either side of the dish, which might suggest a total of 38 degrees of adjustment.

True, but the LNB and your picture will be upside down... which is o.k. I guess if you're in Australia.... ;D

Tom,

I never said you didn't have the universal BOW.? You just gave me the specs.

Ned said:
I never said you didn't have the universal BOW.

I never said you did.

I'm just trying to make a point that there's a difference between an assertion that "The BOW won't work with all the DW satellites" and "the BOW works will all but sat 127".

I have no desire to offer anyone a lemon. So, when my offer received your immediate assertion, I was left wondering what I really had, how I could be so wrong about what I'd bought, and why was I offering something that might not work for whoever might buy it. If you had been right, I would have withdrawn my offer.

Sorry, I had no intention of affecting your offer.  I was just stating a fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom