Trailer Brake Controller Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arwriter

What's going on guys,

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2500, ECSB, 4x4. I just picked up a Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller for it. The truck has the factory heavy duty towing package and is pre-wired for a brake controller. All I should have to do to install it is plug the harness into the slot under the dash and put a 40 amp fuse into the electrical box under the hood correct?

The reason I am asking is because I went to a local truck accessory store (they sell truck accessories, camper shells, and small trailers) who performs brake controller installs and he told me I would have to un-bolt the electrical box under the hood and physically connect the wires for the 40 amp fuse. If the truck is pre-wired from the factory, why in the world would I have to remove the electrical box to connect wires for it?

Somebody with some technical experience please help me here. Much appreciated.

Semper Fidelis,

Adam

I can't necessarily offer you the technical experience you are looking for but I can tell you that my 1999 Silverado 1500 had the towing package and was all pre-wired as well. Even the fuse was already there. I plugged the bake controller into the fusebox under the dash and it was good to go.

If your harness that came in your glove compartment for a controller has a 40 amp fuse taped to it, then all you will have to do is put this fuse in the correct slot under your hood.
My 2004 had the 40 amp fuse taped to it.  The controller will work without it, this is for constant 12v to charge the battery in your camper while you are connected.  I has nothing to do with your controller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom