'09 Winnebago Aspect Glass doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBehn

I'm new to this forum, and I want to thank everyone who participates.  I've gleaned a huge amount of knowledge from your experiences and helpful instruction. 

I've not seen anything about the curved glass doors that grace my RV, covering an overhead storage and entertainment compartment,  just behind the cab. 

The doors certainly look sharp but they are heavy, and prone to rattle off their hinges.  The two 1/2" screws are simple not able to hold them on.  I've taken it for repairs, twice, clear in my insistance that something stronger needs to be installed.  So far, they've only replaced the same screws, with the same results.  For now, I have used the smallest zip-tie I could fit, to secure it.  Works great, but who wants THAT sticking out?  Only a matter of time before it breaks...and my nearest repair shop doesn't seem interested in exploring any better options.  I fear that one day, these doors will fall off, injuring someone..... :eek:!  Really should've been fixed during warranty, but you see the shop guys weren't up to the task.

The wood is particle board with veneer...so not sure a longer screw will help.  Any ideas? 

I've had problems with the screw though the glass loosening up but no problem (yet) with the screws to the wood. You might post your problem on the Aspect Cambria forum

http://aspectcambria.proboards.com/

Jim

Not sure about your Aspect, but on the two Minnie?s we have owned both with front entertainment centers with glass door.  To make it close tighter I added a piece of stick on Velcro (just one side of the Velcro) where the closer knob latch meets the inside of the wood and it makes a tight fit no rattle or door movement.  Never had a problem with the hinge screws.

:eek: I feel silly.  I meant to say it was the screw on the GLASS side of the hinge...not the one into the wood.  I used zip ties to secure, as I never did find a way to keep them tightened; from rattling their way out.  I don't get how we have to retro-fit/fix problems like this.  Don't the good folks at "W" think these things through?  I'll try the vVlcro...but I'm mildly protesting that I have to do anything at all.  But...as long as I'm reapplying two sided tape to keep my speaker covers in place...I might as well break out the Velcro.  Sigh.  Thanks to all for the help.  Truly appreciate a place to come to.

Have you tried Loc-Tite.  I forget the color but there are three different classes, use the 2nd or 3rd level. 

If you aren't going to have to remove the screws on a regular basis, consider Super Glue on the threads.

Locktite thread locker would be a good choice.  You can find it at auto parts stores or in the adhesive/glue area of DIY stores.  I suggest the 'removable' grade in case you (or somebody) would ever need to disassemble the parts.  Super glue (CA) works well if you never ever need to remove the fasteners.

I always carry some Locktite on the coach - every so often we find something that worked loose, particularly the set-screw on the toilet flush handle - it works loose about once a year in spite of thread locker (I use the low strength kind.)

Thank you, all!  Yep.  Loc-Tite did the trick...and will keep it handy.  It's now part of my "Wrap 'em, Strap 'em/ Glue it 'n Screw it" arsenal.  Too bad I don't chew gum --I'm sure I'll need THAT one day, too!  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom