Direct TV DNS rate going up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I got a letter from Direct TV today advising they will be changing my mobile DNS (Distant Network Services) effective 11/18/2010. I now get both East & West coast network feeds for $14/month. From now on, I will get only East Coast and they are increasing the cost to $15/month. Cut the service in half and raise the price - ain't  it grand?  That's about the last straw for me - I'll be switching to Dish (unless they do the same thing).  Our DTV account is suspended for now anyway cause we aren't using the coach, so there is no immediate cost hit. But when I want to restart service, I'll be calling Dish. It will cost me to re-program my KVH dome for different satallites and I'll probably have to buy a new Satellite receiver too, but I'm fed up with DTV rates.

Sometimes the best way is to vote with your feet!  However, it might be well to write the CEO and let him know what you are doing and why.  He needs to know.  Additionally, I have seen organizations provide special dispensation to keep long time customers.

It's not clear from the mixed reports I've been reading if this is something instigated by DTV or by the FCC.  I've also read of others getting a letter offering to keep both coast feeds for a few $ more.  I haven't gotten my letter yet, it will probably be in the Monday mail packet.  But dropping one set of network feeds AND raising the price is not good.  I do hope we can keep both sets of network feeds, it simplifies the recording schedules.

If anybody is interested, the CEO is Mr. Michael D. White.  His mailing address is DirecTV, 2230 East Imperial Highway, El Segundo,          CA 90245

All,

My letter said that if I want to continue with BOTH East and West coast Mobile Vehicle DNS I must tell them before 11/18/2010 and it will cost $20.00 for both East and West so I told them yes.  Why punish ourselves for $6 more.  We really like the dual DNS networks in our Motorhome.

By the way, it will include ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, plus a new network to me called CW.  Does anyone know who or what CW is???

Also, take note that the card you're supposed to mail in if you choose to keep BOTH East and West coast DNS does NOT contain your Name and Address ID, which is a big mistake, so do write your name and address on the card.

JerryF

That's what I've read also from others.  For the additional $6 I'm not going to quibble especially as we get PBS included.  See here for the CW network web site.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy the Vampire Diaries :)

JerArdra said:
By the way, it will include ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, plus a new network to me called CW.  Does anyone know who or what CW is???

Used to be Warner Bros (WN), it's mostly teenage/twenty-something kind of shows.

Wendy

Does anyone know who or what CW is???

Well, it isn't Camping World! ;D 

Actually, the CW Network was formed as a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation. The CW is America's fifth broadcast network and is the only network targeting women 18-34.

geodrake said:
You are going to fatten them up with that pizza.
I just said I target them. I never actually catch them, they are way too smart.

geodrake said:
If you are not using the pizza as bait you are missing a great opportunity.
Missed opportunities is the story of my life.

Back to the subject at hand. I am just about to replace my laptop with a new one that has an 18.4" screen and a Blu Ray player. I don't spend one cent on any TV watching but I am going to be spending $50 to $100 per month on Blu Ray discs. Much better way to invest my money, IMHO.

Well we just got them to stop charging for HD and now they will get it back for DNS. ::)

We got the letter from direct TV too.  We've been paying $14.00 a month for DNS  plus $ 5.00 per month for the receiver.  Maybe we'll do what a lot of other people do, take the receiver from the house and forget about the mobil package of $ 20.00 per month.

We haven't gotten our letter yet, but there is no effective change for us since we already subscribe to PBS and CW for a total of $20. Maybe that's why we haven't gotten our letter :-\

When we got the DNS we opted for the $14 package, now it looks like it is a forced pack.  My gripe was in order to get a few channels we liked we had to up our package by a lot, Nat Geo is in it. 

CW ifor me means morse code.  While I can send and receive, watching a show in morse code was tto much work.  ;)  It appears within your guide, smack in the middle of the other network channels.

Several months ago I finally got the national PBS feed, it wasn't an easy thing to do and took me 7 years to accomplish, to long a story that I won't bore you with.

DirecTV informed me that I had to take both the east and west coast feeds for $14.00 plus $2.50 a month for the PBS feed, even though I didn't want the west coast I had to take it all or nothing. Of course they didn't tell me this until after they started billing me. Prior to this I had a DNS waiver in place and received the east coast feeds at $2.50 per feed, $10.00 per month.

Now, only one coast and PBS at $15.00 a month. I wonder which coast feed I will get. As soon as I wonder enough and find several hours to give DirecTV a call I suppose I will find out, then again maybe not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom