Direct TV DNS rate going up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bernie, ok I won't worry about it until they drop half my channels :)  Random, hm ???

We have HD DNS, SD DNS, and PBS and have not received a postcard. Our mail was shipped to us Monday so it includes everything received through Saturday.

If you did not get the card, you might want to check what address DTV has on file for you. I presume the notice goes to your billing address, rather than the service address (which doesn't mean much for a mobile account anyway).

My notice came from Ellen Filipiak, Senior VP of Customer Service, and says:
"If you have questions about your DirectTV mobile account, please submit a written inquiry to DIRECTV, Attn: Mobile Network Service, PO Box 6550, Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550"

I'm currently paying $14 for east and west CBS, ABC, NBC & Fox.

The letter I received stated that, if I return the postage paid card, I would receive what I'm receiving now PLUS east and west CW & the national PBS feed.

So I'll pay an additional $6 for CWE, CWW & the national PBS feed.

I've wanted the national PBS feed for 8 years but they would not give it to me.

So, the $6 increase is fine IMHO.

BTW, I just went full HD with 2 HD receivers also have 2 SD receivers. (I received the DNS card before I signed up for HD.) On November 20th, with the above new $20 DNS package, I'll start to receive DNS CBS, ABC, NBC & FOX in HD per the DTV letter and voice confirmation with DTV. Another PLUS.

-Tom

Gary

I have residential service with East/West DNS & local HD stations...... Nothing is set in stone.<G>

I know it can be done on a residence, Terry, but you need waivers from the broadcast channels in your area and other legal hoops to jump through. The DTV DNS application form is set for mobile accounts only, since none of that stuff applies to mobiles and the approval is a slam dunk.

When we first started RV'ing I told my wife she would have  a phone to call the kids and her TV.  It's a small sacrifice to make. When I called  DirecTV the rep. told me to put my account # on the post card. I also added my name. bill

Ned,

As of our last mail reception at Don & Peg's a week ago, we have not received a card. Will get mail at the Ackers so will look for it.

So far I haven't seen any correlation between services and the postcard, it may be truly random as Bernie reported :(  I guess a call to the DTV Mobile Support number is in order if the card isn't in our Monday mail.

Say hi to George and Lucy for us.

Ned said:
Bernie, ok I won't worry about it until they drop half my channels :)  Random, hm ???

The random statement peaked my curiosity and I again called DirecTV Mobile Support a few minutes ago. It's not random but rather based on new rules that congress passed three or four months ago and will affect all DNS customers. I was also informed that the rules that congress passed set the prices.

I doubt that Congress would set prices for any consumer service and that statement would cast doubt on the service reps knowledge.  I'll bet if you call again you'll get a different version :(

Ned, you're probably correct about calling and getting a different answer. I've spent some time trying to find the "New Rules" and found this: http://www.cov.com/files/Publication/a3b4db94-24ad-48cb-bc3a-ece27e1b9bac/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/ecd90d7d-7d02-453a-862b-f5533db99e9d/Satellite%20Television%20Extension%20and%20Localism%20Act%20of%202010%20-%20A%20Broadcaster%E2%80%99s%20Guide.pdf No mention of prices.

However, it seems that the "Copyright Royalty Board" is the one who sets the fees as authorized by congress. Specifically "37 CFR Part 386 [Docket No. 2010?4 CRB Satellite Rate - Rate Adjustment for the Satellite Carrier Compulsory License" the entire mess can be found here: http://www.loc.gov/crb/fedreg/2010/75fr53198.pdf under "PART 386?ADJUSTMENT OF ROYALTY FEES FOR SECONDARY TRANSMISSIONS BY SATELLITE CARRIERS"

Caution should be exercised when viewing the above referenced links. Your eyes will have a tendency to glaze over followed quickly by a desperate need to take a nap.

ON EDIT: Sorry about the long link above, I don't know how to post a smaller one and I have no idea how DirecTV translated the above into their monthly charges.

Thanks for the links, I now have a cure for any insomnia :)  I'll read them later and see if I can understand what they say.

The rates described in the second document are not the consumer prices but the rates that the carriers (DTV, Dish Network, etc.) pay to content providers (networks) for the programming.  They're specifically called Royalty Fees.

As for the first document, nowhere does it address the mobile users receiving DNS services.  In fact, the word "mobile" does not appear anywhere in the document.  The only part that would seem to apply is II A that states:

A.  Grandfathered Subscribers
Subscribers that were grandfathered to receive distant signals under SHVERA will continue to be grandfathered under STELA.  STELA also adds additional categories of subscribers who may continue to receive distant signals.  For example, STELA permits subscribers who lawfully subscribed to distant signals at the time of STELA?s enactment, to continue being eligible to receive those signals, regardless of whether they receive a local signal affiliated with the same network.

I'm still going to call next week if we don't receive the card notice.

I agree neither link provides a concrete connection between the response I got from the Mobile DNS folks and the reality of the current rates that DTV charges.

I can make a semi-jello type connection between the royalty fee and the amount charged by DTV. I think I will accept that DTV can some how point back to the government to support the rates.

In the end I'm paying about what I paid for DNS under my old rates. At the time I paid $2.50 a channel for the big 4 (east coast) and the same for CW, I couldn't get PBS then. Now I get the big 4 plus PBS and CW for $14.00 a month. I would consider it as less except that I don't want CW, tried it but didn't like it.

Now I'll go back to enjoying what little TV that's worth while to watch.

BTW, I did enjoy my nap.

I was paying $14 for all 8 channels. There was actually a discount for taking all 8 as a package.  Now it's $15 for 6 and one of them (CW) we never watch. Or $20 if we want the original 8 channels, plus the two we didn't ask for. I can't find it in my heart to call that a bargain.

As I recall, mobile HD subscribers  only get 4 DNS feeds anyway - choice of East or West but not both. Somebody here probably knows...

Fox held up the cable carriers for a major royalty increase earlier this year and is working over the satellite carriers now - see Dish vs Fox. I expect we are seeing fall out from that.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Fox held up the cable carriers for a major royalty increase earlier this year and is working over the satellite carriers now - see Dish vs Fox. I expect we are seeing fall out from that.

"Fox held up the cable carriers" LOL, that is so descriptive, I can visualize Murdoch coming into the negotiation with his AK-47's blazing...  ;)

Back
Top Bottom