2002 Journey Door Awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wristpin

I really could use some help with our electric Door awning, It worked for a few times after we bought the motorhome but now it does not work. When I press the activation switch nothing happens, I can roll it out by hand crank and it does not seem to be binding in any way but it won't come out with the electric switch. There's two switches on the control panel, one changes the control from the main awning to the door awning and the other extends or retracts the selected awning. With the switch in the correct position I checked for voltage at the motor when the switch is depressed and there is none. I've checked the electronic control box which is located in one of the outside compartments for blown fuses and they checked good with a continuity meter. I might add that the main awning works flawlessly and it's part of the same control box, Also there is a rocker switch on the control box that controls the main awning and it works. I'm thinking there's a problem with the control box. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Awning Controls.png
    Awning Controls.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
Have you tried jumping across the switch terminals? A bad switch will not pass current to the motor to activate the mechanism. It may be the control box, but you may as well start easy......

Thanks for the reply SargeW.
I haven't checked that yet  but I will next. It works fine in the main awning position but I suppose it could be the door awning/main awning switch making contact on the main side but not the door side.
Thanks again

Try the Awning Control Switch in the "IN" position instead of the "OUT" position.
The Awning will wind in or out as there is no stop control when it is out. One can roll the awning out and then push the button and it will roll backwards.

Please don't ask how I know this!!!!!

Good Luck

I don't believe that the control box has anything to do with the door awning, just the main. I had a motor fail on me as water was collecting in the fiberglass shell (housing). I drilled some holes into the bottom of the shell to act as drains and all is well. The wires run up the wall from the switch to the motor so I don't think that the wiring would be the issue. Try applying 12 volts to the motor at the motor and see if it works bypassing the switch, a 12 volt cordless drill battery would work for the test.

Pete

I also had my OTD awning (mine is a Carefree) refuse to operate due to water in the motor housing. After drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the housing, and drying the motor out, it has run fine for 6 years since.

A few months ago we had our patio awning arms and motor replaced due to damage. The service guys took out the no longer needed control box for the patio awning and the relay beside it. The next morning I discovered the OTD awning would not work.  Fortunately I told them to leave all the original wiring in place, and to wire it up out of the way in the basement storage compartment where the control board had been.  I took ALL the removed parts home with me. After studying the wiring diagrams, I got out the bag of removed parts, found the relay that had been beside the control board, and plugged it back in. The OTD awning then worked again! I never did figure out where the relay is for the removed patio awing...

Well when I bought the motorhome used last January the dealer told me the door awning was manual only not electric but I tried it with the electric switch it worked,  After a few weeks it quit so I started doing some diagnostics with my multimeter. The meter showed 12 volts on the wires coming to the motor with the motor wire unplugged while holding the switch down in the awning out position so I plugged the motor up with my multimeter still connected and tried it again. When I pushed down on the awning out switch the voltage dropped to almost zero. I then removed the motor and laid it on my work bench in the garage and with two jumper wires connected to a 12 volt battery the motor worked flawlessly in both directions. That's when I determinded  it had to be in the control box so I dropped it for fear of the control box being very expensive.

After you guys posted some ideas for me to check I took the console loose from the wall where the switches are located and with the schematic I downloaded from Winnebago and started troubleshooting the problem. The wires going to the motor come from the control box so I'll have to go with my original diagnosis. The control box.....

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom