Took a trip to Forest City, IA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babette

As I had posted earlier, we've had problems with our 2010 Itasca Reyo's chassis battery not holding a charge.  We also had a few other issues with the Reyo's entry door, the slide out, our microwave/convection oven and a couple more minor things.  We gave up on our dealer doing anything right, so we decided to drive to the Winnebago factory in Forest City.  They did a pretty good job repairing things, but in order to resolve the chassis battery issue, we had them to install a TRIk-L- starter to the tune of $ 250.00.  We do think, that they should have installed the trik-l starter for free or at a reduced cost, since that is obviously a design flaw.  You shouldn't have a problem starting your engine on a new coach.  We just got back home from this trip, so in a few days we'll check to see if our $ 250.00 was well spent.

Design flaw - not hardly.  It is a very conscious effort by Winnebago product planners to design a product to certain price point with a required profit margin.  My $250K 2005 Horizon didn't have one either.

Sounds like two models with the same design flaw!  Seriously, it's one thing to economize on frills, but it ought to be practical to use the rig for its intended purpose without having to worry about the chassis battery dying while you are parked. They could have left the second TV out and provided the needed battery charge function, eh?  Right....! That ain't gonna happen.

I am surprised to hear that there the Trik-L is not standard equipment in the 2010 Reyo.  I was under the impression that beginning in 2006 the Trik-L was standard in all Winnebago/Itasca models.  I know because I have a 2005 model and had to install the Trik-L to keep my coach batteries charged.  But a friends 2006 had it as standard equipment.  Is removing the Trik-L as a standard item a cost-cutting measure by Winnebago?

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad

Agree with original poster, why should you have to install anything. My old '02 Brave keeps them charged just fine on shore power, generator or just running the engine. What gives.

I've said it before Winnebago's Bean Counters are killing what use to be one of the best quality motorhomes on the market for it's price range.  Seems the US automobile manufacturers learned this lesson the hard way allowing the Bean Counters to run the companies quality into the ground and now Winnebago also will hopefully learn from their mistakes. 

Hard to believe they put such low value on customer satisfaction. 

Word of mouth advertising seems to be of little value to them which could be a long term mistake even if they are an excellent manufacturer.

With all due respect, I agree with John. I can think of at least $2000 worth of options that I have added to my coach that others may consider unnecessary and it was far cheaper for me to add just the ones that I wanted and not the ones that were deemed necessary by others.  There are as many complaints about the selling price of Motorhomes and Winnebago is trying to keep them affordable. I have added a Trik-l start to mine but for years survived quite well without one on my previous coaches.

Not everyone has the same needs or requirements.
Just my 2c.

Pete

I believe that starting with the 2006 models Winnebago added the Trik-L-Start to all of the diesel pushers.  I don't know about FREDs, Sprinters, or the gas models.

I, too, agree with John.  Personally, for me, I do not want a Trik-L Start on my coach.  I would rather keep the two electrical systems separate and not have the engine batteries pulling a charge from the house batteries that can barely maintain a charge with the roof mounted solar panel when parked.  When my coach is parked, I have a 15 watt solar panel connected to the coach batteries.  When I have shore power, I have a Xantrex charger for the engine batteries.  Bottom line, the Trik-L Start does not meet everybody's needs.  I have used this system for the past 4 years and no battery issues so far.

cbeierl said:
I believe that starting with the 2006 models Winnebago added the Trik-L-Start to all of the diesel pushers.  I don't know about FREDs, Sprinters, or the gas models.

I think that's correct.

I've had great luck with my Xantrex Echo~Charge - I never worry about the batteries.

2007 Itasca26P did NOT have the Trik-L-Start so we added one.  Dealer said Winnebago put them in the DP's ~  but our 27' gasser did not warrant one ~ too small.  Sent for our own part.  JM2?

I may be all wrong here but my first impression is that the Trik-L start is a band aid.
I can?t help but wonder if there is an unknown or unwanted current drain or the batteries are not what they are supposed to be. I feel that more testing should be done to verify an actual problem or not before blasting the company.
I don?t have as much experience as most but I would not be ready to except a Trik-L start as an answer to the problem without more information.
There has to be a reason why the batteries are going down.

There are 'planned' parasitic loads on the chassis batteries like some electronic modules for the engine and maybe the tranny.  There certainly could be 'unplanned' loads - electric steps that don't shut off are a classic example.  Without charging, the chassis batteries will discharge in some period of time.

Winnie started putting a chassis battery disconnect on I suppose some of the pushers - at least I have one.  I can completely disconnect my chassis batteries - then you are only dealing with battery self-discharge due to its internal resistance.

My 2006 Gas model did not come with a Trik-L-Start. I decided to put one in 3 years ago and have been happy with the
results. During storage the rig's coach batteries are charged with the small solar panel and it will maintain the batteries
in peak condition as long as there is 12 hours of sun light. The TLS helps keep the CHassis battery in peak condition.
However, once we hit fall and sunlight is reduced to less than 12 hours the TLS will take down the Coach batteries. So
I now unhook the grounds on both sets of batteries once we hit mid October. Of course, during our travels I never have
to think about the batteries as they both get maintained well with either 110, 15 watt Solar or generator. Of course when we drive
both Coach and Chassis batteries are charged.
Frank O.

Frank & Vicki said:
... once we hit fall and sunlight is reduced to less than 12 hours the TLS will take down the Coach batteries. ...

That doesn't sound right.  My Xantrex Echo~Charge (same idea) switches on at 13V - if the house bank is under 13V, the Echo~Charge is off.

maddog348 said:
2007 Itasca26P did NOT have the Trik-L-Start so we added one.  Dealer said Winnebago put them in the DP's ~  but our 27' gasser did not warrant one ~ too small.  Sent for our own part.  JM2?

I also installed a Trik-L-Start on my 2007 Adventurer. The packaging actually had a Winnebago part number. Ordered mine for $50( $49 and change).

John,
I thought that was the way it should work but it took my coach batteries down over 6 weeks. I was surprised to
find them down to 12.2. The coach power was off so the only draw was the TLS. Sounds like the Echo Charge has
more smarts.
Frank O.

Frank - I just read the TLS specs and brochure and it appears it is fairly 'dumb' as they list an operating voltage beginning at 12 volts.  Yikes  :eek: !  If it has the smarts to turn off, that is not specified.

Maybe you should consider replacing the TLS with the Echo~Charge...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom