Going without a pressure regulator on the water input hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roamingrob

Hello friends,

When I got my RV (my first) I put a pressure regulator on my input hose- the $9 brass one from Walmart (actually, my very first regulator was a plastic Camco one I bought online that exploded in weeks).  It seemed fine for about 6 months, then the water pressure got lousy so I replaced it with the same regulator.  The pressure was better but then a month and a half later, same problem.  I removed it and we enjoyed wonderful water pressure, but I have read that going without puts the entire plumbing system at risk.  I was advised to soak the regulator in vinegar; I did, and there is marked improvement.  But nothing like the pressure we had without anything [sniff, sniff].

So, questions:  How much risk is it to go without any regulator?  Anyone out there have similar problems with the same or different regulator?  Are some regulators markedly better than others?  Does it matter which on end of the hose it is placed?  I have a water filter, also from Walmart (kind off a blue cylindrical thing with a hose coming out of each end)- does that have a regulator built-in, so I can use that in place of a plain regulator?

As always, thanks!!

No regulator is a dangerous thing as I have seen as much as 125 lbs water pressure in some RV parks, more than enough to blow a fitting off and do a lot of damage.  Get a Watts whole house water pressure regulator, far superior to the little cheap regulators and much better flow and adjustable.  You can find them as some Home Depots & Lowes or on line at rvwaterfilterstore.com.

Hi Rob... good topic and I've been through it.

How much risk is it to go without any regulator?  I'm sure some will reply that they have been RVing for 200 years and never used one and never had a problem.  But, I would never do it again.  I was overnighting in Ruidoso, NM and got lazy.  Just hooked up directly to the water in the park and was awakened at 3am to the sound of water gushing from a broken braided cold water feed to my water heater.  Made a mess.  I think it's not uncommon for water pressure to spike in some locations and it can bite you. 

Anyone out there have similar problems with the same or different regulator?  We spend a lot of time in the desert so went with a water softener long ago which probably kept of from seeing the build up you did.  I don't think you're actually using a regulator...even though that's what they call it.  I think those things are restrictors and really do hamper the flow into the coach.

Are some regulators markedly better than others?  Yep.  We went to a Watts residential regulator from Lowes.  My set up now is hose from park connection to softener to Watts regulator (mounted on softener)... hose to coach.

Does it matter which on end of the hose it is placed?  You protect your hose too if you place it upstream but that's pretty much it.

I have a water filter, also from Walmart (kind off a blue cylindrical thing with a hose coming out of each end)- does that have a regulator built-in, so I can use that in place of a plain regulator?  I would seriously doubt it.

Good luck...

Rick

Those brass inline devices, usually from Marshall Brass, are more flow restrictors for irrigation systems than true pressure regulators.  We carry a Watts whole house style adjustable regulator with fittings for standard hose bibs, but use it probably no more than once a year.  We do have a pressure gauge in the water system at all times and it's the first thing I check when connecting to campground water.  If the pressure is 80psi or more, I'll get the regulator out, otherwise not.  Most campgrounds with high water pressure will tell you when you check in that you need a regulator.  But those are very few.

When you do use it, put it on the hose bib to protect your fresh water hose as well as the RV plumbing.

Here is my method...If i start to connect and test the water-tap at the site before connecting, if I find that the pressure "seems to be high", like explosive.. I take my little pressure gauge and connect it for a reading.  (see pix below..cheap gadget).

Takes about a couple of minutes to do that.

If the reading is below 80 or sixty you are good to go, If above use the pressure reducer.

Severe sudden changes in pressure in campgrounds are rare.

After a few connections one can judge the approximate pressure suitable.

carson FL

Attachments

• Water pressure gauge.jpg
    Water pressure gauge.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 149
I remember an unattended trailer I saw in a campground in Salt Lake City with water pouring out beneath both doors.  When I went over to check, I saw it was connected without a regulator.  I turned off their water and left.  The owners had an unpleasant surprise on their return.  Camp water pressure was 130 psi plus.

Lessons:

•  
  • Any pressure regulator is better than no regulator.  The whole house units are best coupled with a downstream, in-line pressure gauge to adjust them to 45 psi.

• Turn off the water at the hydrant, if you will leaved the RV unattended for a while.

I'll take an opposing view. I often connect without a regulator, even I carry two of them. A Watts "whole house" regulator and a smaller, allegedly "high flow" brass model Valterra.

But most everybody here knows I'm a techie and I decide to go "naked" or not based on my location. In a Corp of Engineers park (the COE loves high pressure!) or near any high hills or mountains, I use a regulator, or at least check my inline pressure gauge when I hook up. Otherwise I go without.  Those who are unwilling or unable to make a value judgment based on their surroundings should use the regulator as a matter of course.

Like so many things, you can violate the general rules if you know what you are doing. If you don't, it is best to follow the "idiot-proof" rules of thumb.

So....I was just sitting here fat, dumb, and happy reading the posts on this forum when I came across this one. As I was reading this, I thought to myself, "we never have hooked our MH up to a water supply", and the thought occured to me that some day soon we might want to. So I just want you all to know that this forum just caused me to get up out of my easy chair and make an immediate trip to the home center where they were more than happy to relieve me of some cash just to have the necessary hardware "in case" we decide to connect. I hate not being prepared....LOL.

Dennis & Vici,

If you have never been connected to water, I assume this means you ONLY boondock.  Is that right?  If so, kudos to you, my friends.  Maybe it's because I am fat, lazy and happy (where have I heard that before?) but one day at a time of boondocking is all I can take!  I mean, what do you do when it's 110 degrees or there is an all-night Twilight Zone marathon on TV and you can't run the generator?  And do you shower in the RV or use the campground's facilities?  My wife takes one shower and the gray tank practically overflows!!

roamingrob said:
Dennis & Vici,

If you have never been connected to water, I assume this means you ONLY boondock.  Is that right?  If so, kudos to you, my friends.  Maybe it's because I am fat, lazy and happy (where have I heard that before?) but one day at a time of boondocking is all I can take!  I mean, what do you do when it's 110 degrees or there is an all-night Twilight Zone marathon on TV and you can't run the generator?  And do you shower in the RV or use the campground's facilities?  My wife takes one shower and the gray tank practically overflows!!

We have only had our MH since about April. Both the wife and I are still 2 or 3 years from retirement (we hope..can't wait for longer trips), We have been using the MH about every other weekend since last spring, and are fortunate enough to have the Sierras close by for when the weather is hot, and the valley lakes of central and northern CA for the cooler times. We actually haven't used the roof AC except when we are packing the MH in our driveway. We like to camp near to the lakes we go to so we can leave our fishing boat in the water so that usually means boondocking. We've actually gotten pretty use to it. There is only two of us so showering in the MH isn't terrible...just short. We can easily live without TV and spend a lot of time reading and playing board games or cards. About the only thing we run the generator for is to pop our popcorn. Livin' the good life...! 

I am one of those who don't use one.  I have tried a few times, and the water pressure was just not there.  I have learned that if you don't turn the water on all the way, you don't get all the pressure.  If you turn it on a little at a time, and check the pressure within the trailer, you can control how much you give to the trailer.  I've only been to one campground where they posted high water pressure (125psi), and I just barely turned the water on, then had to adust once to get the flow we needed.  It may be a bit on the dangerous side, but it has worked, and it sure beats having to go out and take of the worthless water pressure stopper!

I have one of those brass pressure regulators. I don't use it much. I fill the fresh water tank, and when it gets low, fill it again. Takes a few days to empty the fresh water. Few minutes to fill it. I prefer to have my white hoses stored, except when I am using them, hands on. When I stow the hose, I coil and then screw the ends of the hose together, so nothing gets inside. (Who says I am OC?)  :p

I also do not hook up to the sewer. I empty when I need to. Then stow the slinky.

A big part of the reason is trip hazard. The rest is because I think it keeps things cleaner. I know I must be doing it wrong, but don't know why it would be wrong. ??

I do hook up to electric, and stay hooked up til I leave. Then, I run the generator.  ::)  (electric freak.)

Ray D  ;D

It's curious that nobody has mentioned that almost every residence in any city has a regulator coming into the structure, and their plumbing is WAY more robust than anything the typical RV has... whats that tell you?? I have a gauge similar to whats shown above, but mine has peak reading pointers on it. Hooked to the street Pre-regulator I can watch what goes on in the neighborhood, and have seen spikes averaging 125psi with peak surges in excess of 150psi when my sprinklers shut off (that valve is next to the gauge).

What you need is a REAL pressure regulator, but make sure it's high volume. Our WATTS is dead-nuts solid  regardless of the pressures mentioned above and makes no difference in flow in or out of line. Buy the best and cry only once...

I don't get to camp as often as I would like and I am cheap frugal.  I have a Marshal Brass unit that I hook up and if the pressure in the trailer is low, DW is my gauge, I remove it.

And then there is Tim the "toy boy" (my husband) who has 2 whole house regulators; one at the intake and the other as a spare in case the one at the intake breaks.  ;) 

We  probably carry 2 of everything we might need and enough tools to build an addition onto the coach if he so desires.

Marsha~

Marsha,

I have 2 whole house regulators also.  I got mine after I left one in a Morgan Hill campground and my brother went and got it and sent it to me well after after I had bought the replacement.  First campground I was ever at where I was able to recover what we had left behind.  They found it, realized I had left it and called us to tell us they had it and what did we want done with it.

Fortunately that has been the most expensive item we have ever left.

I did the whole house ?? unit 4 or 5  years ago and it is great.  It is not that big.  I have mine set at 50# and have never adjusted it higher.  I purchased it a Home Depot and with the brass fittings need to connect to water hoses cost was about $35., total.  I also use ?? water hose.  This type unit gives you more water volume (flow), not just pressure.

Would the inline filter I use help keep the pressure down?  I have been to quite a few campgrounds and havne't used one either, maybe I'm tempting fate and better get one.  Heck, we have everything else, might as well have that too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom