Pulling over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

My wife and I are going to Tybee Island just off of Ga. We will be pulling our 5Th wheel from Pa. we are going to leave after work Friday night. We hope to make Va. and we were thinking of pulling off and just get a few hours sleep and hit the road. We have never tried this. We are thinking of a Flying J or a Walmart . Are there people still doing this? Will it be OK?

We often use either Flying J or Walmart.  Our impression is that the Flying J's are noisier than the Walmarts.  There is a list of Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking
here:  http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm.  We try to spend a little money when we're there but it's not a requirement. 

Flying J's are usually full of truckers and are noisy. WalMarts tend to be much quieter. Use the website Andy listed and call ahead to make sure it's ok to overnight. Even some that say "no" on the website are ok when you talk to them in person.

Enjoy your trip.
Wendy

Walmarts may be "quieter", but that should not be confused with "quiet" in most locations.  But if you only want a few hours rest, they may be suitable. We use from once in awhile.

Not all Walmarts allow overnight stays - be sure to check with the store management or one of the several web sites that list which locations are ok.

I use truck stops or wal-marts. I traveled a lot when I was working, and had to get a nap from time to time. I always asked permission and I have never been refused.

The last few years when I stopped at wal-mart I usually would check with their security and sometimes the guard will offer a wake-up call. They will always ask you to park in an out of the way area. There are a few wal-marts however whose parking space is limited even at night.

I've found Cracker Barrel restaurants very accommodating on overnight parking and they have the advantage of being relatively quiet after 10pm when they close.  Good food and good service when you rise to leave in the am also.

I've even had several employees/managers tell me that I could park anywhere in the lot after closing to find a quieter spot.

We have never pulled over before. We are not spending the day sleep and then pull out. We just need a few hrs of sleep. Thank you everyone with the help. This is the first trip with our 5th wheel. For 34 years it has been pop up campers and trailers. Now we have a 32" and a one ton truck.

Just don't confuse quiet with safe. Sometimes the busier places like Flying J tend to have more folks moving around thus are less likely to have someone sniffing around your rig.  Not that WalMart can't be a safe place, just that quiet and alone is a better target.  JMHO.

Sarge

I will have my Dogs with us two Golden's and a Flat Coat Retriever. They are very Good in our trailer. Very good in the truck. Not good when they see Ducks . We always eat at Cracker Barrel so I can ask the manager. We did not know about Cracker Barrel the are close to the exits on I-95.

I've used Flying J as well as Walmarts and have also used the rest stops along the Interstate Hwy. with no problems.. Jim

We haven't stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but did consider one in Casa Grande, AZ, until we noticed our 42' motorhome wouldn't easily (or at all?) fit around all the tight corners. We did stay in a Flying J on night, where they had separate spaces for RVs, and it was fine. We've seen "no overnight parking" signs in so many Walmarts that we've not seriously looked for one yet when we needed an overnight.

Pierat said:
We haven't stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but did consider one in Casa Grande, AZ, until we noticed our 42' motorhome wouldn't easily (or at all?) fit around all the tight corners. We did stay in a Flying J on night, where they had separate spaces for RVs, and it was fine. We've seen "no overnight parking" signs in so many Walmarts that we've not seriously looked for one yet when we needed an overnight.

I've seen trucks delivering supplies, and tour buses longer than your MH, navigate their parking lots.  I wouldn't worry too much about that as most RV parking is straight in and the lot will be virtually empty when you leave.

My wife and I have been pulling something for about 35 years now. I have not been able to just pull over we had kids and they need electric and the trailers needed water. This 5 th wheel is set up much better and now we want to travel at our pace. I have seen some rv's pulled over but not many and we are now trying something to see what happens. I just do not want to pull into a campground at midnight wake everyone up and 5 hours pull out. This way we can make better time I hope. One thing about RV lifestyle every now and then there is an adventure. This will be our next. We thank everyone for the information it has been a big help.

Glad i was told about this site yall are full of good info. lol  Ill keep reading. PS most i have seen here in TX have a boat load of cameras out front that should help to deter the bad guy's.

Sounds like my husband, he always wants to "make better time" to get somewhere, driving half the night and such.  Not me, I'm for the enjoyment and the adventure of getting there.  My destination is only a part of it, I want to enjoy the sights along the way and not be exhausted from sleeping in parking lots, but that's just me.

Flying J/Pilot stations often have an area in the "Car" section for RVs.  Less noise and the truckers dont get made at you for taking one of "their" spots.  We are not big fans of Walmart, but there are a couple we have stayed at.  Others disagree but I have favorite rest areas on our standard routes.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom