EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Pulling over?  (Read 10586 times)

skirk55

• ---
Pulling over?
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
My wife and I are going to Tybee Island just off of Ga. We will be pulling our 5Th wheel from Pa. we are going to leave after work Friday night. We hope to make Va. and we were thinking of pulling off and just get a few hours sleep and hit the road. We have never tried this. We are thinking of a Flying J or a Walmart . Are there people still doing this? Will it be OK?

AndyinLexington

• ---
Re: Pulling over?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
We often use either Flying J or Walmart.  Our impression is that the Flying J's are noisier than the Walmarts.  There is a list of Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking
here:  http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm.  We try to spend a little money when we're there but it's not a requirement. 
Andy Holmes
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34F
2005 Chev Malibu Toad
N1CPS
Lexington, Kentucky

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
Flying J's are usually full of truckers and are noisy. WalMarts tend to be much quieter. Use the website Andy listed and call ahead to make sure it's ok to overnight. Even some that say "no" on the website are ok when you talk to them in person.

Enjoy your trip.
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
Walmarts may be "quieter", but that should not be confused with "quiet" in most locations.  But if you only want a few hours rest, they may be suitable. We use from once in awhile.

Not all Walmarts allow overnight stays - be sure to check with the store management or one of the several web sites that list which locations are ok.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Zehring

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:17:24 AM »
I use truck stops or wal-marts. I traveled a lot when I was working, and had to get a nap from time to time. I always asked permission and I have never been refused.

The last few years when I stopped at wal-mart I usually would check with their security and sometimes the guard will offer a wake-up call. They will always ask you to park in an out of the way area. There are a few wal-marts however whose parking space is limited even at night.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »
I've found Cracker Barrel restaurants very accommodating on overnight parking and they have the advantage of being relatively quiet after 10pm when they close.  Good food and good service when you rise to leave in the am also.

I've even had several employees/managers tell me that I could park anywhere in the lot after closing to find a quieter spot.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »
We have never pulled over before. We are not spending the day sleep and then pull out. We just need a few hrs of sleep. Thank you everyone with the help. This is the first trip with our 5th wheel. For 34 years it has been pop up campers and trailers. Now we have a 32" and a one ton truck.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
Just don't confuse quiet with safe. Sometimes the busier places like Flying J tend to have more folks moving around thus are less likely to have someone sniffing around your rig.  Not that WalMart can't be a safe place, just that quiet and alone is a better target.  JMHO.

Sarge
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
I will have my Dogs with us two Golden's and a Flat Coat Retriever. They are very Good in our trailer. Very good in the truck. Not good when they see Ducks . We always eat at Cracker Barrel so I can ask the manager. We did not know about Cracker Barrel the are close to the exits on I-95.

camperkids1025

• ---
  • Bel Air, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
I've used Flying J as well as Walmarts and have also used the rest stops along the Interstate Hwy. with no problems.. Jim
Jim & Lois in Maryland
1999 37.5' Newmar Mountain Aire F-53 Chassis V-10 Ford
HWH Levelers / Bilsteins Shocks and Bilstein Steering Stablizer

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
We haven't stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but did consider one in Casa Grande, AZ, until we noticed our 42' motorhome wouldn't easily (or at all?) fit around all the tight corners. We did stay in a Flying J on night, where they had separate spaces for RVs, and it was fine. We've seen "no overnight parking" signs in so many Walmarts that we've not seriously looked for one yet when we needed an overnight.
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
I thought all walmarts let you stay the night?

AndyinLexington

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
Not all - see the link above, in my earlier response.  Most do, though.
Andy Holmes
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34F
2005 Chev Malibu Toad
N1CPS
Lexington, Kentucky

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
We haven't stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but did consider one in Casa Grande, AZ, until we noticed our 42' motorhome wouldn't easily (or at all?) fit around all the tight corners. We did stay in a Flying J on night, where they had separate spaces for RVs, and it was fine. We've seen "no overnight parking" signs in so many Walmarts that we've not seriously looked for one yet when we needed an overnight.

I've seen trucks delivering supplies, and tour buses longer than your MH, navigate their parking lots.  I wouldn't worry too much about that as most RV parking is straight in and the lot will be virtually empty when you leave.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:40:22 PM by aka Porky »

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »
My wife and I have been pulling something for about 35 years now. I have not been able to just pull over we had kids and they need electric and the trailers needed water. This 5 th wheel is set up much better and now we want to travel at our pace. I have seen some rv's pulled over but not many and we are now trying something to see what happens. I just do not want to pull into a campground at midnight wake everyone up and 5 hours pull out. This way we can make better time I hope. One thing about RV lifestyle every now and then there is an adventure. This will be our next. We thank everyone for the information it has been a big help.

Darrelld40

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »
Glad i was told about this site yall are full of good info. lol  Ill keep reading. PS most i have seen here in TX have a boat load of cameras out front that should help to deter the bad guy's.
2001 Cevy Ext Cab 5.3
2006 Forest River Wildwood le 29bhss
2500 Hellwig helper sprinings
10k Equal-i-zer 11x9 Jeggs trans cooler

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
check out   overnightrvparking.com    very helpfull
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Sounds like my husband, he always wants to "make better time" to get somewhere, driving half the night and such.  Not me, I'm for the enjoyment and the adventure of getting there.  My destination is only a part of it, I want to enjoy the sights along the way and not be exhausted from sleeping in parking lots, but that's just me.

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
For that trip, I'd get myself south of DC and hit a Virginia rest stop.  They have RV spots for parking.

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/map-rest-area.asp
Keith

Jeff Brown

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Flying J/Pilot stations often have an area in the "Car" section for RVs.  Less noise and the truckers dont get made at you for taking one of "their" spots.  We are not big fans of Walmart, but there are a couple we have stayed at.  Others disagree but I have favorite rest areas on our standard routes.

Jeff
Jeff - Driver
Wife - In complete control!
Bear - strapped to his seat! (9 year old son)
Duncan and Bailey (the dogs) - constantly looking for a different window
2002 Bounder 36S "King Charles the Great Bounder" or "Big Chuck"

Steve & Linda

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
You shouldn't have any problems finding Cracker Barrel restaurants along the I-95 corridor, especially once you hit NC/SC/GA. We're in that area in SC and believe me, I'm a BIG fan of CB's and have "mapped" just about all of them along I-95! Good luck & safe travels.
Steve & Linda
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Toad: Ford F150 Platinum
Home: South Carolina
Members: FMCA, Monaco America and Georgia Funseekers

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »
My preference for overnight stops are the Cracker Barrels.  Very friendly folks and passable food.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
I rarely see a Cracker Barrel with a lot large enough to get a Class A into, even if there aren't cars already scattered around. To the point where we have stopped considering them for an overnight. You guys must know of some extra-large ones!

Don't try the one at I75 & SR 200 in Ocala - it's hard enough to get a car into that one! Ditto for the nearby Sam's Club.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
Gee, every Cracker Barrel I have been to I had no problem with my Class a, 38 feet by itself, Even when I had a towed there was no problem.

Usually (but not always) the bus/RV spots are around 40-50 feet long and out in back of the store, if you have a towed you may need to drop it if overnighting.

Also, for some reason, even though they are "out of the way" parking (in back of the store) many times I've found them full of cars. Dozens of open parking out front but the 4-wheelers park there.   Seen that at Flying-J's too.  Even ones where the spots are signed RV PARKING ONLY.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
I rarely see a Cracker Barrel with a lot large enough to get a Class A into, even if there aren't cars already scattered around. To the point where we have stopped considering them for an overnight. You guys must know of some extra-large ones!

The Cracker Barrel RV parking spacess are consistently too small for a large Class A, or any Class A towing a toad.  However, I've always received permission to park anywhere in their lot after the restaurant closes at 10pm.  I often get an unsolicited tip to park on the quiet side of the building if it's near an Interstate, which they usually are.

I don't think I would expect to feel welcome to spend the night if I arrived around 4pm and spread out in any prime area of their parking lot, but I usually only use them if running late and by the time I have my evening meal, and walk the dog, I have my pick of parking.  I try to select a spot for easy departure the following morning.

PS - I just read JFDs reply (posted as I was typing), and can say I've never had the experience of finding the "back lot full".   The restaurant workers do, however, use the back parking while on duty.

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
This summer we pulled into a local owned weigh station. We saw two trucks and a pick up parked so we pulled over. Was something we never did before. Thank god we did the next day we drove for hour before we found some where to pull over. We were very tired. We had a good night sleep.
When in Ohio we pulled into a truck stop and found an area just for RVs. It has electric and a dump station. Lights and paved. The cost was $20.00 this was well worth the cost.
I wish there was more places like this.

dominique21

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
I thought all walmarts let you stay the night?

Back in the day all Walmarts did let you stay over night. But unfortuately a few bad apple Rvers and semi drivers ruined it for everybody. Leaving their trash behind, pee bottles and some even their kids. ;D

braindead

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
We often use either Flying J or Walmart.  Our impression is that the Flying J's are noisier than the Walmarts.  There is a list of Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking
here:  http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm.  We try to spend a little money when we're there but it's not a requirement.
Just browsing around the site mentioned and all of the local stores where I know it's okay to stay were listed wrong.  Maybe it changed, however the concept is flawed on multiple fronts.  Once one person (incorrectly, or maliciously) flags a Wal-mart as a 'no stay' I suspect they stay that way in most cases.  They may 'review' the parking reports people submit, however I'm certain they do not check them at all.  And definitely nobody follows up to keep the data up to date, that would likely take too many resources (time+money). 

The site clearly states their information isn't useful, you should call anyway so just call and find out and you'll know for sure.

Hosted by Over The Network