Pulling over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You shouldn't have any problems finding Cracker Barrel restaurants along the I-95 corridor, especially once you hit NC/SC/GA. We're in that area in SC and believe me, I'm a BIG fan of CB's and have "mapped" just about all of them along I-95! Good luck & safe travels.

My preference for overnight stops are the Cracker Barrels.  Very friendly folks and passable food.

I rarely see a Cracker Barrel with a lot large enough to get a Class A into, even if there aren't cars already scattered around. To the point where we have stopped considering them for an overnight. You guys must know of some extra-large ones!

Don't try the one at I75 & SR 200 in Ocala - it's hard enough to get a car into that one! Ditto for the nearby Sam's Club.

Gee, every Cracker Barrel I have been to I had no problem with my Class a, 38 feet by itself, Even when I had a towed there was no problem.

Usually (but not always) the bus/RV spots are around 40-50 feet long and out in back of the store, if you have a towed you may need to drop it if overnighting.

Also, for some reason, even though they are "out of the way" parking (in back of the store) many times I've found them full of cars. Dozens of open parking out front but the 4-wheelers park there.  Seen that at Flying-J's too.  Even ones where the spots are signed RV PARKING ONLY.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I rarely see a Cracker Barrel with a lot large enough to get a Class A into, even if there aren't cars already scattered around. To the point where we have stopped considering them for an overnight. You guys must know of some extra-large ones!

The Cracker Barrel RV parking spacess are consistently too small for a large Class A, or any Class A towing a toad.  However, I've always received permission to park anywhere in their lot after the restaurant closes at 10pm.  I often get an unsolicited tip to park on the quiet side of the building if it's near an Interstate, which they usually are.

I don't think I would expect to feel welcome to spend the night if I arrived around 4pm and spread out in any prime area of their parking lot, but I usually only use them if running late and by the time I have my evening meal, and walk the dog, I have my pick of parking.  I try to select a spot for easy departure the following morning.

PS - I just read JFDs reply (posted as I was typing), and can say I've never had the experience of finding the "back lot full".  The restaurant workers do, however, use the back parking while on duty.

This summer we pulled into a local owned weigh station. We saw two trucks and a pick up parked so we pulled over. Was something we never did before. Thank god we did the next day we drove for hour before we found some where to pull over. We were very tired. We had a good night sleep.
When in Ohio we pulled into a truck stop and found an area just for RVs. It has electric and a dump station. Lights and paved. The cost was $20.00 this was well worth the cost.
I wish there was more places like this.

skirk55 said:
I thought all walmarts let you stay the night?

Back in the day all Walmarts did let you stay over night. But unfortuately a few bad apple Rvers and semi drivers ruined it for everybody. Leaving their trash behind, pee bottles and some even their kids. ;D

AndyinLexington said:
We often use either Flying J or Walmart.  Our impression is that the Flying J's are noisier than the Walmarts.  There is a list of Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking
here:  http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm.  We try to spend a little money when we're there but it's not a requirement.
Just browsing around the site mentioned and all of the local stores where I know it's okay to stay were listed wrong.  Maybe it changed, however the concept is flawed on multiple fronts.  Once one person (incorrectly, or maliciously) flags a Wal-mart as a 'no stay' I suspect they stay that way in most cases.  They may 'review' the parking reports people submit, however I'm certain they do not check them at all.  And definitely nobody follows up to keep the data up to date, that would likely take too many resources (time+money). 

The site clearly states their information isn't useful, you should call anyway so just call and find out and you'll know for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom