What is a G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

I guess I've just been left behind in the past few years but, what is a G?

I know when talking cell phones, the more G's, apparently the better but again, what is a G?

I'm thinking about a new Droid and tethering, now using Verizon air card. Contract period is over and thinking about upgrading. I also use the aircard at home as broadband is not available in my neck of the forest.

Generation, as in 1st generation, 2nd generation, etc. We are currently on 3G heading for 4G.

Wizard46 said:
I guess I've just been left behind in the past few years but, what is a G?

I know when talking cell phones, the more G's, apparently the better but again, what is a G?

I'm thinking about a new Droid and tethering, now using Verizon air card. Contract period is over and thinking about upgrading. I also use the aircard at home as broadband is not available in my neck of the forest.

As TomS points out, it stands for Generation. When I first began programming the industry itself was considered 1st Generation in that computers were filled with vacuum tubes -- and a lot of heat. Transistors introduced the 2nd Generation - and then micro electronics introduced the 3rd Generation. After that, they dropped that designator because things moved exponentially - tho some vendors liked to consider their products 4th Generation. The designation of Generations in cellular transmition technology is probably a carry over from those early computer designators - though I only speculate on that.  :)

I bought a Droid X about a week ago -- and find it an amazing smartphone.

yfx4 said:
The letter after 'F'  ::)

Or maybe Teeny Tiny Underwear.  :eek:

I recall when my Mom and Dad bought car in their latter years. My Dad was very proud of it - and bragged about the LE after the model designation. He had asked me what that stood for, and I told him, "Lotsa Extras".  :)

The "G" can be likened to 'New and Improved' so the techie will want the newest one and ensure continuing replacement sales when the old one worked just fine.

Well G, there are lots of Gs.  As previously mentioned the technology industries use G as an abbreviation for the word generation.  Each time a new version of something comes out they call it G x and increment the x to the next higher number. 

Then there are G strings, worn by some of our risque members, among others.  My guitars have a different kind of G string found four down from the top.  As Ned mentioned it may refer to acceleration and deceleration.  Someone else mentioned the 7th letter in our alphabet.  Sometimes it is a spoken word.  I once new a Chinese fellow Named Henry G.  My mother used to start sentences with the word G and sometimes with O G.  there was a car named a G - O.  I have a G drive on my computer.  Masons have a G on their rings.   

I'm guessing some of the other folks here may be able to help too.

geodrake said:
Then there are G strings, worn by some of our risque members, among others.  My guitars have a different kind of G string found four down from the top. 

Then there is Bach's "Air on the G string".

geodrake said:
Well G, there are lots of Gs.  As previously mentioned the technology industries use G as an abbreviation for the word generation.  Each time a new version of something comes out they call it G x and increment the x to the next higher number. 

Then there are G strings, worn by some of our risque members, among others.  My guitars have a different kind of G string found four down from the top.  As Ned mentioned it may refer to acceleration and deceleration.  Someone else mentioned the 7th letter in our alphabet.  Sometimes it is a spoken word.  I once new a Chinese fellow Named Henry G.  My mother used to start sentences with the word G and sometimes with O G.  there was a car named a G - O.  I have a G drive on my computer.  Masons have a G on their rings.   

I'm guessing some of the other folks here may be able to help too.

Gee.

Bob Buchanan said:
I recall when my Mom and Dad bought car in their latter years. My Dad was very proud of it - and bragged about the LE after the model designation. He had asked me what that stood for, and I told him, "Lotsa Extras".  :)

Good point... My old car (1995 Windstar) was labeled an LX.  (Still have it). I never knew what that meant.. I just considered it as haven lotsa Xtra Xtras.  It sure does.
carson

Actually it's the first syllable in the word geewhiz (as in geewhiz bygolly)

Thanks a lot everyone, ask a dumb question and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll go somewhere else and maybe get an answer.

Back
Top Bottom