Motorhome Interior Wall Construction Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
Since there are so many more experienced remodelers out here, I thought I would ask some basic questions that are bugging me....

1) What material is commonly used for interior walls under what appears to be some kind of adhesive backed wall covering?
2) Since this material appears to be very thin, what is the best type of fastener to mount things like towel racks, etc.?
3) Are the walls actually attached at the top to wooden plates? It looks like the ceiling covering was in place, and they just stood up the walls, but they have to be attached at the top somehow.
4) Will gently prying with a thin bar allow me to remove pieces, or is this always a destructive process when I have to get back behind something?
5) Are staples the way most of this trim was installed?

Are there other things that I need to know before I start making some changes?

All comments and experience are worthwhile, so thanks in advance!

Construction techniques vary by manufacturer, model (and price class), and whether trailer or motorhome, but here are some broad generalities.

The walls are typically  screwed or stapled to the flooring. There may be a basic box frame in place when the walls are stuck in, but the wall carries its own structure with it. By the way, cabinets, floor coverings, appliances and such are often put in place before the side walls go on.

The walls may have either wood or square metal tubing for structural supports and often does not follow any standard pattern, i.e. not the 16" centers of residential construction. Don't be surprised to find odd distances between both vertical and horizontal frame members.

If a laminated wall, the exterior siding is bonded to the wall frame with adhesives under pressure. If aluminum, it is screwed or stapled (wood frame) or riveted (if metal frame).  The interior is typically a fabric or paper covering bonded to a luan substrate. If a wood frame, it is likely stapled to the frame. If a metal frame it is likely a combination of adhesives and some stapled where wood backers have been included in the framing.

My 76 RV MH is a sandwich construction. All sides and openings are framed with 3/4"X1 1/2" white pine. The voids were filled with styropfone and sandwiched together with glue and 1/8" plywood on both sides. I do know what you mean about the paneling not coming off cuz it was glued. This building process yeilds a very strong and light weight structure and doing any repairs is not going to be easy.

For mounting a towl rack and other accessories I would use a plastic ancor as it will expand behind the surface thin plywood so you will get a better and stronger hold, normal screws will most likely just pull out over time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom