Norcold widens the recall, yet again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Norcold has expanded their recall to include every 1200/1210  refrigerator made between 1997 and Oct 6th 2010. This includes any supposedly fixed under prior recalls.  See here for the details if you own a Norcold 1200/1210 refrigerator.
[/font]

I just called Norcold since I had the previous recall for 1200s thru 2003 done 1 1/2 years ago. This recall is in addition, involving a thermal switch. The previous recall was for some insulation and a thermal sensor.

Well, they have me confused!  The first page says every Norcold 1200 made in the last 13 years is under recall. Then it says "Check status" and I do - sure enough, my cooling unit serial is in the range for the new, expanded recall (it was not in the previous ones). Then I go to the page where it says to enter all your info, including my cooling unit serial and fridge serial. When I submit that, it says " Model Number: 1200 Cooling Unit Serial Number: 1735296 is not under recall."  So which do I believe???

Based on what Norcold told Bernie, maybe there is some failure other than cooling units?  But the previous "thermal sensor" was simply a diagnostic device for a cooling unit failure (my 1200 has that sensor built-in form the factory).

Called Norcold Monday about a freezer door that would not seal on ours and was told that there was a recall on it . I knew about the recall but the serial number on ours was not included but I guess they must have changed that.Anyways we are heading to Lazy Days on Nov 9 th to have the  Workhorse brake recall take care of and hopefully the Norcold thing can be taken care of as well . Well if they ever return my call that is ,left 2 messages now with no results. ,Alan

Ned & Gary, I am confused.  Went over to the MH and checked the SNs of the Frig and Cooling Unit and they were within the "range" being recalled.  Like Gary, I entered the pertinent information and got back the message that my unit was not included in the Recall???

I am going to call them later this afternoon and see if I can get any further info.  Shall report back.

Just got off the phone with Norcold and they assure me that I am included within the Recall.  When questioned about the the fact that their Site assured me that I was not included he informed me that the Site has not been updated about this latest Recall. 

Looks like I am going to have to find a Service Center to get it fixed, pain in the neck.  I live in the sticks with no Service Center close, I will check on availability of Centers on my way to Florida.  As much as I dislike it I may end up going back to LazyDays.  I like everything about LazyDays except their service.

Me too, phoned them and they said ALL 1200 series Norcold, no matter what serial # or year.  Figured I'd have a hard job up here in Canada finding a Norcold service centre and the one they gave me is about 50 miles away.  On a whim I phoned my RV guy here, the one I always deal with and where we store our rig, it's about 5 miles away and although they weren't listed as a service centre, they phoned Norcold and were told if they give them the info they will send them the kit and they can install it on my rig.  Yahoo, don't have to drive all that way now.

I called as well and was told ALL 1200 Series units regardless of whats currently posted. I just went through an "exchange" on the big board with someone deciding to choose me off over what I was reporting from the factory direct vs. what he read and decided was current policy. Just can't please some people  :mad:

I was over at the local shop yesterday and the guy pulled out a Norcold supplied shroud looking thing with a thermal swx on it and theorized this was what would be the retro from them. Problem is that it's only a band-aid to shut things off if/ when they go bad. Better than nothing.

The Norcold regional rep was at a company meeting in Az. when this thing came out and was actually surprised this recall had been released when my shop called him to inquire.

I too was told by the local shop I was not in the recall. After reading additional posts here I called norcold and was told yes I was affected by the recall. called my tech back, asked him to call norcold ..he respond that even though he is on the norcold dealer advisory board he was not aware of This NEW recall..said the letter to dealers with the details going out soon!!  Just another example of the value of this forum..thank you!

Here is a further explanation of what is being done to alleviate the fire danger. The new recall applies even to those fridges previously recalled to add a thermal switch.

http://www.rvdailyreport.com/News/tabid/56/ctl/ArticleView/mid/370/articleId/9163/Norcold-recalls-refrigerators-to-apply-even-better-fix.aspx

Gary RV Roamer said:
Here is a further explanation of what is being done to alleviate the fire danger. The new recall applies even to those fridges previously recalled to add a thermal switch.

http://www.rvdailyreport.com/News/tabid/56/ctl/ArticleView/mid/370/articleId/9163/Norcold-recalls-refrigerators-to-apply-even-better-fix.aspx

I just went to the link Gary provided and it gets more confusing every day. That notice says that the recall covers fridges produced from 1/1/2003 to the present. My 1200LRIM was built in late 2001 and had the previous recall work performed. I just called Norcold again and once again was informed that all models on the list, regardless of previous recall work, are subject to this recall. The person I spoke to said any shop can perform the repair, from the outside opening, and that Norcold is shipping parts daily. You only need to give your repair person your fridge serial number and compressor number and they deal with Norcold for the repair.

Here's what happens when your fridge catches fire.

Attachments

• fridge fire.jpg
    fridge fire.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 113
  • fridge fire 2.jpg
    fridge fire 2.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 84
  • fridge fire 3.jpg
    fridge fire 3.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 90
  • fridge fire 4.jpg
    fridge fire 4.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 94
Those photos are almost a best case scenario.  A total loss is far more likely. Look at some of these fires...
http://www.rvappraisals.com/fire-investigations.htm

We have a 2-door N611 which apparently isn't included in the recall. Sometimes smaller is better.

Wendy

Gary, Photos like that are why I added an automatic fire extinguishers behind the frig. Hopefully by Friday the Norcold will be history - replaced by Kenmore/LG.

ken

Does anyone know what the Recall Action consists of.  I know they are replacing the High Temp Thermal Switch with a Thermocouple for faster cutoff action.  Is anything involve.  My Reefer was not included in the previous Recalls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom