Winter Rig Skirting Options --at 7k'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

Let me see if I can hijack this thread.  :p 

We have been in that since Sept 1 at Yellowstone.
Any nights below freezing? How low, and what did you do about it and how well did it work?

I am gingerly trying to extend my serial campout in Boise. Got down to just below freezing, last night. Did fine, but may run out of nerve.  :( ::)

Thanks.

Ray D  :)

Just noticed, OK, while at Ystone what we did was put in a Y in water supply so other leg could run at a dribble.  That kept water from freezing.  Not much else all worked fine.  We are now at Grand Canyon, same water trick and now being sure the front drapes closed at night, open for passive solar daytime.  We are going to pick up some pipe heater cable for the waterline, hose bib and from what I have heard, the sewer line. 

Considering adding skirting, but debating the material to use.  From a wind breaking tarp type material, to a 2" foam board.  No time to go buy any of it until next week. 

Ran out of nerve. Winterized yesterday. Still interested in the subject. May try later.

Too many health issues, now. So, will tend to first things, first.

Ray D  :D

We have been in Taos for the last month, consistently 12 - 18 degrees at night for the last week or so, 50's and 60's in the day.

We are monitoring the service bay with a remote thermometer and have found the 25 watt light will hold the bay above freezing, about 37 degrees. We disconnect the water every night, although when it was not below 25, we let it trickle. No problems. If we pulled the water hose, I pulled the sewer line since it kept open an access hole in the bay we wanted closed so the light would stay effective.

The sun warms us pretty quick with the shades open.

If the days did not have the sunshine and if it did not rise above freezing, we would not do it without a lot more prep. Pretty sure we are at the limit, but are leaving tomorrow for the South and Thanksgiving.

It was not an equipment issue as much as personal preference and other plans that sent us packing.

Updates for us.  Skipped the skirting.  We have been down to -9 at night, the bulb in the utility bay plus the pipe heating tape hve been all we need.  Have to watch condensation issues though.  Coach has been very comfortable with thermostats set at 70 deg.  I have another bay heater in the utility bay for the coldest nights, remotely switchable on the dash.  Only used that for the -9 night. 

If we had a trailer I would consider the skirt, but the MH has the basement and is another buffer to the outside temps. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom