New MH - What must I buy for it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Another question for you.

We will take delivery of the Expedition on Feb 1st.

Excluding "lifestyle items" (plates, cutlery, towels, etc) , what should we buy (or MUST buy) to get ourselves started.

Sewer Hose : Lazydays told me we will get a basic hose with the MH, but that we should probably get a better one. Well, what length, make, etc etc ?

What other items MUST we buy ?

What items do you recommend we buy ?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

White drinking water hose and a 'whole house' type filter for sediment, if it didn't come equipped with one. You can easily make up your own rather cheaply with parts from a place like Home Depot.
Quality tire pressure gauge like truckers use.
Air compressor, if not already there.
Kit of sewer hose adapters. Camping World has them. Foam sealing ring for sewer pipes without screw-type heads.
If you have flooded cell batteries, a gallon of distilled water.
Spare engine filters - gas, fuel, oil and associated fluids. Can of brake fluid.
Ladder or step stool for cleaning windows.

Just a few things off the top of the old noggin. Surely others will add to it.

As I recall the starter kit from Lazy Days has a sewer hose and a potable water hose - the salesman should be able to give you the exact contents. I think it is a 20 foot hose and you can use it until it springs a leak, which will probably be within 3 months. A better quality hose (thicker material) can be purchased now or later.  You will also want one of those multi-adapters for the end that goes into the campground sewer pipe. The multi-adapter fits 2 two different thread sizes as well as threadless pipes . With the threadless connections you will also need a rubber "donut" to seal the connection.

The Expedition will have an air system on the chassis and you might inqure about getting a tee installed (or appropriate connectors if already there) and an air hose to inflate your tires. However, a small portable compressor (the "tankless" variety) is a straight-forward purchase from a local store (e.g Walmart) and you always have 110V "mains" power available to run it via your generator. Just make sure its max pressure is at least equal to your standard tire pressure, which may be anywhere from 75-110 psi depending on the tires installed and the coach weight.

And definitely a good quality tire gauge, I like the electronic ones with a digital readout (again, make sure to reads high enough for your tire pressure).  Sears stores have decent ones at reasonable prices - think I paid $15 for mine during a sale. Auto parts stores should have them too.  You might also want to carry a basic tool kit (screw drivers, pliers, etc.). Wlamarts, KMarts, Sears, etc. has packaged kits for as low as $25 and as high as you want to go, depending on your handyman neds and skills.

A collapsible long handled washing brush is pretty much a necessity to wash the rig sides/windows. About $12-15 at a Walmart and maybe a bit more for an "RV" model at the Camping World store. I would also suggest an extendable handle windshield cleaning tool - the kind with a nylon scrub pad on one side and a rubber squeegee blade on the other. Bugs have an affinity for motorhome windshields and cleaning the windshield is a daily affair in many areas.

A step ladder can be handy for some chores but a 2-3 step stool is probaly sufficient for the odd use. A folding ladder is fairly expensive ($100+) and still somewhat bulky to store.  Some of us carry a standard stepladder slung on a rack on the back of the coach.  And you can usually borrow a ladder in a campgrond if something special comes up.

A good flash light is always handy to have.

You will undoubtedly need a 50 amp-to-30 amp adapter, often referred to as a "dogbone". This allows you to plug your RV's 50A power cable into a 30A outlet. Qute a few campgrounds either won't have 50A power service or may not have 50A outlets on the site you want (or the only site available!).  Most of us carry a 20-25 foot main power extension cord as well. The 30A capacity cord is reasonably priced and modest in size, but the 50A cord is over $100 and bulky besides. A 30A extension is a reasonable trade-off between cost and capability.  The 50A cord is great if you use it a lot, but expensive if you only need it a couple times a year. Depends on what sort of campgrounds you frequent.

Comfortable folding lawn chairs are a must for sitting outdoors on social occasions. Camping World will have several models, usually expensive and not notable superior to any other. Local stores (Walmart again) are a better source but selection may be limited at this time of year. You can always pick up some a bit later when the approaching spring brings a stock of chairs to every sort of store in the land.

If you are interested in outdoor cooking, a portable gas BBQ grill is recommended.  The kind that uses disposable 1 lb LPG bottles is convenient for most uses.  Prices range from $25 to well over $100. They all work and choice depends on your wants and expertise as a chef.  Again, check the local stores.

Most of this stuff can be picked up as you go along. The tire gauge, the sewer hose connector, and the 50A/30A adapter are probaly all you absolutely need before you drive away from Lazy Days.  Check the tire pressure BEFORE you drive the first time - do not assume it is set correctly by the dealer or factory.  Of course, that means you have to learn what the corect pressure is - a topic for another thread, I think.

Paul

Adding to Karl's/Gary's suggestions ...

Your coach will have a built-in air compressor and all you need do is check that there's a connector that allows you to hook up an air hose to inflate your tyres. But you'll still need to buy the air hose (long enough to reach all wheels) and the correct adapters. As Karl said, they're available at Home Depot (or Lowes) hardware stores.

Sewer hose - I'd recommend the Rhino hose that Camping World sells. In addition to being able to concertina into a smaller area, they're much more rugged than most other hoses on the market and will withstand the rigors of camping on gravel or rough ground.

Distilled water is available in gallon jugs at supermarkets.

Don't buy the expensive "RV toilet paper"; Go to our library and read about the infamous RV Forum Toilet Paper Test. Just click the Library button above, select Hygiene, health and medicine, then select Toilet paper test results.

I like this tire (tyre) gauge from Camping World, although I've had one go bad.

A good pressure regulator will be handy if you get to a campground with high (>80psi) water pressure.  Skip the Marshall brass ones in the RV stores and get a whole house style Watts or Cash-Acme regulator from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  You'll probably need to get some fittings to adapt it to standard hose fittings, although there are some models designed for use with a standard hose.  Put the regulator on the water spigot before you hose, however.

And after you spend all this money on accessories, make sure you keep enough for fuel :)

I second Toms recommendation on the Rhino hose the others might just last three months if your lucky.  Ned has a good point on the regulator too. As for TP I also recommend not getting the stuff that is for RV/s it most likely will contribute to blockage.  We use Scott's single ply but Angel soft is good too.  Not all TP is equal.

Nice one Paul
bear in mind that when you ship it the shippers don't like personal goods on board other than that buy a beer and think of me home here.Now setting up our catering business (3 x bookings or the end of this month already) plus moving to a permanent pitch next to the unit we are renting.One thing to remember everything in camping world is 3 times the price over here,i just paid ?25 plus ?7 postage for a 20ft sewer hose
enjoy the RV
IAN

Tom, I use that same tire gauge and also had one go bad - they must have a problem.  Of course my Pressure Pro system now makes the daily tire check a matter of pushing a button on the dash.

I'm behind the curve ordering my PressurePro and need to do that. This might be a good addition to the new rig for Paul also.

Paul,
I would recommend that you take a look at "Bob & Ann's Fulltimers' checklist" in the library.  You may not need all they have but the list will get you thinking.
Rollie

Tom said:
I'm behind the curve ordering my PressurePro and need to do that. This might be a good addition to the new rig for Paul also.

I know I sure felt more at ease on our trip over the holidays to TX. ?Was real nice just check tire pressures from inside too. ?Hmmm, you better get hold of Bernie Tom so you can be up to date.

I probably have the most expensive Pressure Pro system in Texas. The sensors wouldn't fit in the slots in my wheels.  The only way I could solve the problem was to buy a new motorhome.

I'm not sure if you would consider this a mandatory item, but I saw this on the web and thought of all the times I stopped at a friends house to visit for a couple of days, wishing that I had one ! Portable macerator pump ?:-[

http://www.dyersonline.com/p-4088-empty-your-rv-waste-tank-the-easy-way-flojet-portable-rv-waste-pump.aspx

Good suggestion Kenneth. I bought one after seeing it with a friend. I use it when we get home - just run the hose to the sewer cleanout at the house. We've stayed at some campgrounds where it would have been useful (the kind of CG that thinks that poop will run uphill to their sewer connection).

caltex said:
I probably have the most expensive Pressure Pro system in Texas. The sensors wouldn't fit in the slots in my wheels.  The only way I could solve the problem was to buy a new motorhome.

Robert

You got away cheap, most Forumites buy a new coach after putting on new tires. Much, much more than PressurePro ;D ;D

Bernie,

He changed the tires first, then bought the PP, then traded the coach.

Ron said:
Sounds like he kept to the forum tradition.

He did, but he also set a new benchmark (bought the PP in addition to new tires).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom