New MH - What must I buy for it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So we've got......

MUST HAVE :-

Tire Pressure Gauge
Rhino Sewer Hose
Sewer Hose Adapter
Sewer Hose Sealing Ring
Step-Ladder
Washing Brush & Bucket
Air Hose (to reach all wheels)
Air Hose Adapter
Basic Tool Kit
Flash Light
50A to 30A Adapter (dogbone)
Water Pressure Regulator
Beer
Beer
Beer
Larger RV to Fit Everything (or keep drinking the beer)

POSSIBLY HAVE :-

Pressure Pro
Macerator Pump
Items off Bob & Ann's Fulltimers' Checklist (now, I DEFINATELY need a larger RV)

Anything else guys ??

Thanks
Paul

Screens for the windshield and any windows without awnings. There are several companies out there who have shapes/sizes customized to your coach.

If you plan to wash your coach, you'll need a soft brush with a long handle. Available at Camping World or any marine store.

We use a liquid car wash/wax, available at WalMart.

A selection of water hoses (aka hose pipes) wouldn't hurt and a nozzle for the end. Available at any hardware store.

I can't recall if you plan to buy a car to tow but, if you do, you'll need a tow bar that attaches (bolts) to the front/underside of the car. You'll also need some wiring done to the car so the rea/brake/turn lights work from the coach.

Hi Tom

We are planning to buy a car (probably Saturn) but to be honest, I dont know where to start.

Can we just buy a blue ox (or similar) tow bar and accessory pack or does the tow bar and fixings have to be specific to the Saturn and/or the height of the Expedition ?

Would you guys recommend Camping World to fit the tow bar and brackets etc ? Would you recommend buying these items from CW.

We will also need an Aux Brake, and Ive seen these priced new at anything from $100 to $1100.

HELP !!

Paul

Blue Ox tow bars can be purchased at and installed by Camping World. Before you buy the car, call Remco (www.remcotowing.com) to make sure the car (make/model) can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. Some cars need an additional lubrication pump or a drive shaft disconnect (and shorter drive shaft).

Re aux brakes, check out the article in our library. Click the Library button above, select Towing and towables, then click Auxiliary (toad) braking systems. In your situation, the easiest solution would be the Brake Buddy (see the article). Nothing to install, just a box that sits on the floor of the car on the driver's side. From my own (very bad) experience, avoid the similar (but different) Brakemaster aux braking system that Camping World sells.

If you were going anywhere near Athens, Texas, I'd highly recommend the M&G air brake system that runs off the air system on the coach. This is something you could install yourself, but it's better to have them install it. Well worth the $200 installation charge. You could call M&G and ask if they have dealers/installers nearer you.

Just when I thought that fitting-out the RV was going to be as expensive as buying the thing in the first place, we had some good news from the UK.

Ann-Marie has won first prize in a puzzle magazine - 4,000GBP or $7,000 !!!? ;D ;D ;D

I might take a look at the Pressure Pro after all.

Paul

Re towing a Saturn (or any car): The towbar, e.g. a Blue Ox Aventa) is standard but there will be an adapter ("base plate") that is unique to each car. You can buy the towbar ahead of time but wait on the adapter until you know the year, make & model of vehicle.  It may take a several days to get the adapter specific to the car, since there are too many vareties to have them all in stock at Rv dealers or Camping World.  The tow bar fits into a standard hitch receiver on the motorhome (it should be already so equipped) but there is a small possibility you may need a height-adjustment adapter (called a "drop" hitch or bar) if the motorhome is too high relative to the car. These are only $25-30, so not a big deal if you need one.

Re equipping the motorhome: If you have enough beer, the rest (with the possible exception of the sewer fittings) is optional! ;D

Congratulations Marie. Nice prize.

Bernie is waiting for your PressurePro order  ;D

UK-RV said:
Just when I thought that fitting-out the RV was going to be as expensive as buying the thing in the first place, we had some good news from the UK.

Ann-Marie has won first prize in a puzzle magazine - 4,000GBP or $7,000 !!!? ;D ;D ;D

I might take a look at the Pressure Pro after all.

Paul

Quick, have her buy a lottery ticket !  :eek:

Congratulations !

Regarding the Brake Buddy......

Is it worth spending $600-$900 on the BB when I can buy the Prodigy for $210 installed ?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=20535&tab=desc

Thanks
Paul

PS Sorry this is drifting away from MH to Towing section now.

UK-RV said:
Regarding the Brake Buddy......

Is it worth spending $600-$900 on the BB when I can buy the Prodigy for $210 installed ?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=20535&tab=desc

Thanks
Paul

PS Sorry this is drifting away from MH to Towing section now.

Paul,

That only works on trailers equipped with electric brakes.

Since the Prodigy is a trailer brake controller it wouldn't work for your toad.  I would say get the Brake Buddy.  We have used the same Brake Buddy on three on three different toads for over 100K miles and have been very happy with it.  You could also consider the M&G system which cannot be moved very easy from vehicle to vehicle.

It might be a good idea to select the car first and then make sure the tow bar manufacturer you have selected makes a base plate for your car. Otherwise you could be trying to have a customized base plate made to fit the tow bar you bought.

Paul,

A few publications you might wish to buy:

• Woodall's campground directory.
  • The Next Exit.
  • National Truck Stop Directory.
  • Mountain Directory (2 versions available - East & West, and there might be a combined one).

Pubs available at Camping World &/or Flying J stops.

The Truckers Atlas, available from any truck stop, is very handy.  It shows the national truck network routes (those meeting minimum clearances and weight limits) and has a wealth of information on state and national regulations, not all of which apply to an RV, of course.  Get the spiral bound version, it costs more but is nearly indestructible.

Back
Top Bottom