EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Walmart and Saftey?  (Read 15634 times)

Dick Zeiter

• ---
  • Ready to go exploring
Re: Walmart and Saftey?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
We looked at the rest stops and they were packed with 18 wheelers after 8 pm. 
On the rare occasion that we do not use Walmart, we do not use the truck area of rest centers. Truckers, by law, are limited in hours driven and sometimes can not legally proceed further. Even though we are 69', the car sections have always had adequate room for us after 8PM.
Dick, Char and our Shih Tzu. Muffin
Toledo Ohio
2000 Newmar Dutch Star (160K miles)
Retired from part time bluegrass vending
but still working at a garage door company.
Now using motorhome less frequently.

AverageBOB

• ---
  • I'm here, where are you?
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
I was reading some posts about Walmart and some strange people. I am always thinking about our safety when traveling. Back in the early 80's a campground we pulled into put us all the way in the back by ourselves away from all of the lights nice and quiet. The next morning we found our truck broken in and they stole my CB and my toll money I kept in the ash tray so my wife could sleep. The Florida police told us the campground employees were in this scam ripping off campers. My best friend last year had his flat screen TV taken. It was the people picking up the trash in the campground. They would tell someone who to hit  when using a cell phone. The police took care of that but my friend never got his TV back.We have seen campground employees rip campers off. I know theft is all over but is spending the night in a Walmart parking lot Safe??

Never had an issue when growing up staying at a walmart.
We stayed near the light posts though and eyesite of the front door. Lock the doors and pull the shades.
I sure hope this never happens to my family in our acquired camper, someones head would be on a spike!
If a pigeon had his brains

It would fly sideways.

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
My wife and I can get over how nice it was to stop get some sleep and back on the road. This has changed our way of traveling. We are making plans to go from Pa. to Alaska. Thank you everyone for the help. Look what you did!

offgridcamper

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
walmart for me is a low to moderate security risk depending on what side of town you are. so i take extra security precautions.

make sure everything is securely locked and valuables are hidden from sight, the cell phone is charged and handy, if possible camp with in sight of the night staff, camp under a parking lot light.

lastly, i make sure that i'm able to defend myself and others effectively in a emergency situation ....

that said, i have never had a bad experience yet, just a good nights sleep.

:)
96 custom dodge HP 12v cummins dually 4x4
98 30' citation TT reese dual cam hitch
2003 9'6" citation camper

slackercruster

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
Only trouble I had was some teens banging on my rig at 2 am at some fla WM.

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
My wife and I are going to Florida in a few weeks and we will stay over for 4 or 5 hrs. I get all wound up and I can not rest. I love to pull my fifth wheel and I am like a kid in a candy store!

streamlite 25

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:40 PM »
Hello all;
Been RVing for over 50 years man and boy and I never thought I would be able to say "I've camped at Walmart", but we did just that a couple of weeks ago in Minot ND.  We were pulling our brand new RV from Fargo where we had purchased it, home to Saskatchewan in Canada.  We had not yet stocked the trailer with anything and had planned to stay in a motel.  Minot of course has had a terrible flood this year and the was no room at any of the inns, most likely due to the poor unfortunate people who were flooded out havng nowhere else to go.  The campgrounds of course were down by the river and had taken the brunt of the flood as well.  Anyway, Walmart it was and I have to say I would not hesitate to do it again for a quick overnight.  Minot's Walmart is 24 hours so we were able to go in and purchase some bedding and a few essentials.  The lot was well lit and had security cameras as well.  There must have been close to 100 units in the lot that night.  I felt quite secure and my wife and I slept like a couple of logs.  Thanks Walmart!
2011 Streamlite 25 TSS
2007 Toyota Tacoma

bendts

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
Much of Safety is how much you pay attention to your surroundings...

Here is a link that talks about your State of mind & your State of Awareness relating to your safety -

States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes
http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States%20of%20Awareness.htm

If you pay attention, this is the Condition that the majority of people are in -
 CONDITION WHITE- White is the lowest level on the escalator. In Condition White one is unaware, not alert, oblivious. This state can be characterized as "daydreaming" or "preoccupied".  People in White tend to walk around with their heads down, as if watching their own feet. They do not notice the impending danger until it literally has them by the throat.

Talking on there phones, Walking & Texting, Walking & Reading, ect.

You can literally just stand there and see all the future victims of a crime.

If you read the whole link, you will see where you fall and it may help you raise your situational awareness and thus help to reduce your viability as a target.

Will this stop a thief from breaking into your RV/Car?  No - but it may keep you from parking somewhere that this will happen.

1998 Fleetwood American Tradition 40
Just me & my 2 yellow labs

Weewun

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
And on top of that we complain because the site prices at CG's are going up.

skirk55

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Soon we will be going to Yellowstone but due to the heat we will not stay at a wal mart.

maddog348

• ---
  • Maddog & 'Sunny'
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
I certainly would not consider WalMart as a DESTINATION  >:( ~~ But as an enroute o/nite  perhaps.  Haven't yet but it is a possibility. ::)
Pam (a.k.a.-Maddog  (driver))
Kate (a.k.a.-One Eyed Old Lady {nagivator))

2 furry copilots ('Charlie' 15# Terrier/X &  'Bella' 10# Min.Schnauzer/X'

2007 Itasca 'Sunova' 26P ~ 2003 Rav4 'toad'(remco tranny pump)

summersquash

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
I would not stay in the Walmart parking lot in Beaumont Texas, but any of the smaller towns in the area would be safe.

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »
We have always used Walmarts and Cracker Barrels, as well as other areas for an overnight when going on a trip of more than one day. We always go in and do some shopping and ask permission when at a business.

Years ago, we went to a Life on Wheels seminar the week before the PA RV show. There we attended a seminar on RV safety. They offered many tips on insuring your safety when parked. Here's a few of the tips they offered that we have adopted. I always keep a 2,000,000 candlepower spotlight, a boaters hand held air horn, and a can of bear spray by the door. A bright light in the face at night will sure make one pause. An air horn blast also makes anyone approaching pause. The bear spray is the last resort. Thankfully, I have never had to use any of these.

About the worst disturbance we have encountered is the cleaning service running a street sweeper around the Walmart parking lot at 3:00AM in the morning.

We just got back from ME, VT, NH, NY and CT. The majority of our stops were in campgrounds, but while traveling, we overnighted at at a CT RV rest area, Cabela's, Walmart, and a NY Throughway rest area. At all locations, we felt perfectly safe.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Hosted by Over The Network