Brit touring US....ANY advice appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul UK

OK there seems to be a few posts regarding this question but in my case it's a bit different so here goes....

I'm taking early retirement in December and considering touring the US. I've toured extensively throughout europe using a small Ford campervan but each trip had been limited by having to return back to the UK due to work. I may well eventually sell my house and move to live in europe but before I do i'm seriously thinking of doing a US tour....possibly for up to three years.

Now.....i'm a single 60yr old guy used to driving solo and would be travelling alone. So when it comes to choice of motorhome i'm not necessarily looking for masses of space. It has to be economical, practical to use anywhere, cheap and simple to get any mechanical parts, have a rear fixed bed, all weather use (winterised), and good for long distance travel.

Do I buy privately or from a dealer?

Florida seems to have a large number of RV dealers around and is easy to get to from the UK but is there any particular state/s which is best to buy from, i.e. taxation, price, insurance etc?

I've looked at a few RV dealer sites in the US to get some idea of price and whats available and feel that a C class may be my best bet (full blown A class RV's are simply too big for my needs.....and expensive to run). I notice though that most C class RV's seem to be petrol (gas) engine and i've not seen any diesel. Is this generally the rule?

Back here in the UK I had an old Ford Transit diesel campervan. Engine and box would throb away all day every day, was extremely economical to run, but most of all I could still get parts for it anywhere throughout europe. It helped of course that Ford is common as muck over here and there are Ford Garages in virtually every town or city. So what is the make/model to go for in the US? What is 'common as muck' (as we say here) which makes it cheap to buy (because there are plenty around), and easy to obtain any parts in any state?

My plan is to fly out, view a few RV's, buy one then ride off into the sunset! If that sounds mad......well I am British after all!  ;)

Any thoughts, views and pointers to useful websites will be most appreciated.

Finally.....if my plan does come off I will be looking for temporary accomodation whilst I look around for a suitable RV so here is a chance for any budding amateur 'hoteliers'!  :)

Hi Paul and welcome to The RV Forum.

In addition to the messages here, you might want to check our forum library by clicking the Library button above.

... i'm seriously thinking of doing a US tour....possibly for up to three years.

Be aware that you'll only be allowed into the U.S. for a maximum of 6 months at a time. The actual limit will be set by the Agent at the airport or other border crossing. If you smile and talk politely, s/he'll give you 6 months. Most long-term visitors get around the 6 months limit by leaving the country (e.g. by crossing into Canada) for a few weeks, and returning to restart the clock. However, we've heard/read of a few isolated incidents where returning Brits weren't allowed back into the U.S., apparently because it was "obvious' they were merely trying to circumvent the rules.

It has to be economical, practical to use anywhere, cheap and simple to  get any mechanical parts, have a rear fixed bed, all weather use  (winterised), and good for long distance travel.

Since you're talking about a class C, don't expect much in the way of fuel economy. OTOH our petrol (and diesel) prices are half of what you pay in the UK. The term "winterised" here means something different, i.e. it means that the RV has been prepared for winter storage. "All weather" is somewhat subjective, and few if any class C's will be suitable for the really cold climates in our northern states during the winter. It might help to know where you think you might be that needs cold weather protection.

Your choice but, assuming you're buying second hand, you might get a better deal buying privately.

... is there any particular state/s which is best to buy from, i.e. taxation, price, insurance etc?

Covered at length in prior discussions and in our library.

What's your budget for buying this RV, and what's the age expectation?

I can't think of any diesel powered class C's off the top of my head, but maybe others will jump in with some suggestions.

Be aware that you'll only be allowed into the U.S. for a maximum of 6 months at a time.
Suspected this. Looks like I will need to examine the Visa requirements more as 6 months to tour the US is no use to me at all.

Since you're talking about a class C, don't expect much in the way of fuel economy. OTOH our petrol (and diesel) prices are half of what you pay in the UK. The term "winterised" here means something different, i.e. it means that the RV has been prepared for winter storage. "All weather" is somewhat subjective, and few if any class C's will be suitable for the really cold climates in our northern states during the winter. It might help to know where you think you might be that needs cold weather protection.
Blimey! With a C class being smaller than an A class i'd have expected fuel economy to be better. What make/model type is common over there.....easy to obtain parts for and economic to maintain? In other words, basic but solid and reliably engineered. The more electronic 'gizzmo's' the more there is to go wrong which equates to expensive maintenance costs.

Don't know much about your weather 'pattern' but gather it's generally warmer on the west coast during winter than on the east or up north? So i'd try to plan to avoid the colder areas as much as possible.

Here any 'brit' motorhome folk touring europe go down to Spain, Portugal or Morocco over winter when the weather is fine and also no tourists around! Then as the south begins to warm up they head up north where it's cooler......and of course avoiding the tourists. Best of both worlds!

Your choice but, assuming you're buying second hand, you might get a better deal buying privately.
Any website links where I can find private sellers?

What's your budget for buying this RV, and what's the age expectation?
Up to $30,000.
Age doesn't bother me if the 'spec' is right, condition A1, and is up to the job.

[quote author=Paul UK]Looks like I will need to examine the Visa requirements more ...[/quote]

All you needed to know about temporary visitor visas, including the Visa Waiver Program. However, remember that the actual time of your stay will be determined by the agent at the port of entry. In any event, it will not be longer than 6 months at a time, so plan some crossing of our northern or southern border in order to restart the clock.

There is an option to apply for an extended stay once here. I don't recall the form number (might be I-539), but it's spelled out either in a prior conversation or in one of the articles in our library. I don't know how long an extension they'd give you, and we've only had one Brit report that he used it.

With a C class being smaller than an A class i'd have expected fuel economy to be better.

It probably is, but it's all relevant. Our old gas (petrol) class A used to do around 5 miles per gallon (that would be US gallons). Our current diesel motorhome (much bigger and heavier) does around 9.8 mph.

What make/model type is common over there.....easy to obtain parts for and economic to maintain? In other words, basic but solid and reliably engineered.

I couldn't answer that directly, but $30,000 will get you a decent second hand class C. When it comes to parts, etc think chassis rather than make and model of motorhome. The common ones will be on a Chevy (Chevrolet) or Ford chassis. Newer models will be on a Sprinter chassis made by Mercedes Benz, Dodge, or Freightliner, and it's diesel. Here's an example of one.

Don't know much about your weather 'pattern' but gather it's generally warmer on the west coast during winter than on the east or up north?

Few Brits understand the size of the US or the widely varying climates. We live in California (west coast) and enjoy relatively mild winters. Our daughter lives just a few hours north of us, also in California, but she gets a lot of snow. An hour or so north of her and they get some serious winter weather. For calibration, we're as far from the east coast as you are.

Any website links where I can find private sellers?

eBay and Craig's list are used by many folks.

Before your trip, be sure to view and download/print one or more of the checklists in our forum library. They might save you some pain when buying a motorhome.

Frogot to mention that you can get some idea of prices if you go to NADA Price Guides and click on the RVs tab. After selecting a make/model/year, do not select any of the options before asking for a price guide.

Tom said:
Few Brits understand the size of the US or the widely varying climates. We live in California (west coast) and enjoy relatively mild winters. Our daughter lives just a few hours north of us, also in California, but she gets a lot of snow. An hour or so north of her and they get some serious winter weather. For calibration, we're as far from the east coast as you are.

eBay and Craig's list are used by many folks.

Before your trip, be sure to view and download/print one or more of the checklists in our forum library. They might save you some pain when buying a motorhome.

Thanks for that.

Craigslist looks very interesting with some amazingly cheap prices.  :) Even spotted a motorhome at $2850!! Looked pretty tidy too considering its age. You would not be able to buy even a campervan over here at that sort of price. $10-11,000 is the absolute minimum start price. Life in UK is hellish expensive.

Looks like I will have to figure something out re. the 6 month visa business.

[quote author=Paul UK]Life in UK is hellish expensive.[/quote]

Having lived there for 32 years, I fully understand. OTOH I've been amazed at the wealth accumulated by folks since we left.

Looks like I will have to figure something out re. the 6 month visa business.

Gave you all the options I'm aware of.

Tom said:
Having lived there for 32 years, I fully understand. OTOH I've been amazed at the wealth accumulated by folks since we left.

Gave you all the options I'm aware of.

I won't ask why you left......I can guess!

I want to see the US as over the years i've formed a biased opinion of the people and the country influenced largely by watching TV documentaries. That's not really any good as I know from touring many of the more obscure areas of Europe, particularly the ex-DDR areas, you have to get out and meet the people. I've been in areas of east Poland and the Ukraine where no english is spoken at all. But I got by ok and had fun communicating!

I'm a bit of a 'culture vulture' and like to meet people from different backgrounds.....rich, poor, black, white, whatever....it doesn't bother me. Never really been a city lover (I like the peace of the open country), yet have been drawn back to Berlin many many times.....and would go again!

I've seen one or two very nice C class and even B class on Craigslist at very tempting prices. I prefer something reasonably compact that is driveable anywhere. An A class would just be far too big for one person despite many selling for prices not much more than what a used car sells for over here! But whatever I go for it has to be liveable 24/7.

[quote author=Paul UK]I won't ask why you left......I can guess![/quote]

An offer I couldn't refuse; I worked for a California company in (not so) sunny South Wales for 10 years before being asked to transfer to HQ.

... i've formed a biased opinion of the people and the country influenced largely by watching TV documentaries.

Don't believe everything you see on TV (or the internet). I watch and listen to a lot of documentaries on the Beeb, and never fail to smile at the narrow perspective. We've traveled across the US numerous times over the last 30 years, both on business and for pleasure, but wouldn't attempt to form any opinions. There's a huge diversity of people and cultures, and most folks are just downright nice people.

.... touring many of the more obscure areas of Europea ...  you have to get out and meet the people. I've been in areas of east Poland and the Ukraine where no english is spoken at all.

A man after my own heart. I spent more time in Asia than I care to remember, but always enjoyed wandering out into the sticks in, for example, Japan where no English is spoken outside the major cities.

But I got by ok and had fun communicating!

That's always fun. One of my favourite stories is about negotiating with a taxi driver in Indonesia by scribbling in the dirt with a stick.

... have been drawn back to Berlin many many times.....and would go again!

Me too. I have a photo around here somewhere of me by the wall, when there still was a wall in the 70's, and another years later when the wall was gone.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wandering around the U.S. and meeting people. Be sure to post your plans here, as we have members all across the U.S., and many would be glad to extend a welcome if your travels take you near where they're based. In fact, a number of visiting Brits have met various forum members. Many of our members have developed lasting friendships through meeting at campgrounds, and many of us seek each other out as we travel, often camping at or near each other's homes.

BTW where in the UK are you Paul? Just curious.

Don't believe everything you see on TV (or the internet). I watch and listen to a lot of documentaries on the Beeb, and never fail to smile at the narrow perspective.
I certainly don't, though said that documentaries is one of the few things the Beeb really does excell at.

I have a photo around here somewhere of me by the wall, when there still was a wall in the 70's, and another years later when the wall was gone.
I used to tune in to RBI (Radio Berlin International), the East German radio station transmitting to the west on shortwave. When the wall came down in '89 it all happened so quickly I was torn between RBI and watching the news on television!

My interest in Germany is WW2 history and also post war, in particular the ex-DDR. I had read books and watched documentary footage of 'life in the east', but felt that I was being 'fed' by the western propaganda. I wanted to meet people who had lived and grown up behind the wall.....not just read about what my own country wanted me to believe. So each time i've been out to east Germany and met many from there.

If like me you are fascinated by Berlin, Matt Frei, a BBC journalist made an excellent three part documentary about the city. It is one of the best i've seen in a long time and certainly recommend viewing. Frei is German though speaks better english than most Brits! His parents are also Berliners and still live there. He is currently the BBC's political correspondent in Washington so you may even have seen him on US television. It is simply called "Berlin" and you can find it on any good DVD retailer.

I watch Matt Frei and his cohort Kathy Kates (sp ?) daily on BBC America. I also listen to Matt's podcasts. But, I have to say that he's a bit naiive about the USA.

I'll look for his documentary on Berlin; Sounds good, thanks.

So, where in the UK are you located?

Tony_Alberta said:
Don't forget about Canada.  We spell words properly compared to the the Yanks.    :)
With the six month US Visa 'business' this may well be a good idea.

Yes American English is always of some amusement to 'brit's'. However, the UK is often subject to 'americanisation' in many aspects of daily life, not only political but in many other areas. As the saying here goes..."what America gets today Britain gets tomorrow". It often turns out to be true. We don't get mega cheap diesel or petrol (gas)! Our price is more than double theirs.  :mad:

But we did get their barmy ban on smoking in public places which decimated the licencing trade and closed down thousands of Pubs (Bars) due to the smoking ban.

Paul UK said:

Rvtraderonline.com is a resource. Craigslist will have better bargains.

I don't see any reason to have a diesel in a Class C. I doubt there are many anyway. Gas is cheaper here (usually). Parts for the vehicle won't be that much of an issue. You will want to make sure all the applicances and stuff work. As the year of the vehicle gets older, then parts for those items may be less easy to find.

Thanks Flyboy.

Noticed very few diesel engines apart from some of the bigger A class. I suppose my intention of going for diesel over petrol (gas) is typically brit in that our fuel is so highly taxed here, if buying a motorhome then a diesel engine is virtually top of the list! But then considering your used mh/rv prices are much cheaper than ours (and I mean quite seriously a lot cheaper!), it won't bother me to get a gas engined rv/mh.

Until earlier this year I owned a 17 year old campervan. Diesel engine 2.5 direct injection Ford Transit. Crude, basic and simple engineering that engine would go forever and a day. Even ran it on veg oil a few times which was ok as long as you had the right pump! 35-38mpg on long runs and I could still easily get parts off the shelf for it.

Paul UK said:
In Cheshire right on the Staffs border with the closest town (to me) being Newcastle-under-Lyme.
That sounds right near ROF Radway Green, which is well known to older Yanks in
the military and where I once did penance for my sins in a life now very distant. 
I have been in the US since 1982, UK and Kuwait before that.

Anyway, any Brit coming for anything more than a one-off fortnight's holiday is strongly
advised to get a visitor's visa through the US Embassy in London.  As one who studied
immigration law long ago let me repeat that - get a visa from the US Embassy if you intend
to do something like buying a vehicle (as contrasted with merely renting one).

And never ever overstay (3 months) an entry on a visa waiver. Visitor's visa (same thing as B2 visa)
allows for a six month stay which can be extended for good reason. Overstaying a visitor's visa
entry is not recommended but forgiveness is possible in some circumstances. But none of that
applies to a visa waiver entry. Overstaying a three month visa waiver entry will almost always
result in a  semi-permanent ban from the USA.

If things have not changed a lot you apply for a B2 visa and they give you both B1 (business trip)
and B2 (tourism) visas.

That sounds right near ROF Radway Green.....
Know it well......I worked there for the past 27 years until recently taking early retirement. Just over a month now since I finished but still getting used to changes, particularly sleep patterns after having done shift work most of the time.

Still 'toying' with the idea of touring the US by flying out with as little luggage as poss, buying a suitable sized motorhome (don't need anything huge), and driving off into the sunset. Sounds simple and it should be. Unfortunately the Visa business is a bit restrictive as six months isn't much to do coast to coast plus more. I may well need to look at options as mentioned by Tom. I want to see the US........not race through it!

Florida seems to be a good start point as it's easy to access from the UK and there seems to be lots of dealers there plus I found many private sellers there as well. Something like this appeals to me http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/rvs/2168799113.html the size of which is plenty big enough for me. Here in the UK you would easily pay double that price for something similar, though it would be diesel powered, not petrol (gas).

The six month tourism visa allows entry to be extended for good reason. For example you planned to complete your tour in 5.5 months but find extra time is needed. It is of course, all at the discretion of the immigration officer.

Every State capital has an ICE (Immigration and Customs) office. If it is a State relatively rarely used as an international entry point the that may be (almost?) the only ICE office in the state. Presenting yourself to apply at an ICE office in a State capital (often State capitals are relatively small cities, for example Dover, Delaware or Montpelier, Vermont (pop. 8000!)) means that is an excellent change the office is not busy and you will get friendly personal attention without waiting around all day.  If you seem genuine and friendly they will extend without fuss, if not you have to leave but can reenter for another six months after a few weeks back home in the UK.

I imagine it has been a while since ROF Radway Green made 303 British ammo for the Enfield rifles. That's one of the joys of visiting Florida, it won't be hard to find someone keen to take you to the shooting range to show you their Enfield and Garand and the like and let you pop off some ammo that you just might have had a hand in making years ago.

Again, if you are the least bit serious get a passport with a goodly fraction of its ten year life left to run and get a proper tourist visa. Do it before you need it because these things always take longer any time you are in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom