EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Brit touring US....ANY advice appreciated!  (Read 12219 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Brit touring US....ANY advice appreciated!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
Quote from: Paul UK
... would I be right is assuming that any kind of tax is only applied to a vehicle sold from a dealer and not a private seller?

I don't know about other states, but here in California they get the sales tax from you when you register a used vehicle.

Obviously i'd need to register even if buying from a private seller, so how much does this cost and when you say it can 'vary quite significantly by state'.........how significant?

The only way to know if to visit the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or State Board of Equalization web site for individual states. Here's the relevant page of the California BOE web site.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Theberrys

• ---
  • 1999 National Tradewinds 300hp Cat.
    • Our Photos
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Paul

Here is a link to another board that has a lot of posts about the cost of plates in various states. The price can vary from $100 to $3,000, so it really matters.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/motorhome-tags-plates-how-much-83315.html

If a given state has sales tax or something similar then you would be expected to pay it no matter where you bought the coach. It's collected when you register the coach or car.
Dick

1999 National RV Tradewinds 36.5 ft. 300hp Cat, Freightliner Custom Chassis

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »
Paul,

I forgot to suggest that you could use the Search button above to find numerous answers to the question if you search for "registration fees" (including the quotes).

Paul UK

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »
Blimey!!!

Colorado $2,500.00  :o :o

Louisiana $25.00

Why cant you guys get it together and make it one flat rate fee throughout?!! Though I can see that would please some but infuriate others!
But why such a huge difference between one State and another? Ten or twenty dollars fine ok.....but thousands!!!

At this rate it looks like I may well be buying in Louisiana! (Must be a catch in this somewhere!)  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
LOL Paul, it can be tough for a visitor to understand. Unlike the UK with its centralized government, individual states have wide powers and responsibilities (see here) which, in turn, need funding. Different states have widely different budgets, but they all need sources of revenue to fund their coffers. The sources of revenue vary widely, but can include things like sales tax and vehicle licensing & registration fees.

A state like Nevada gains much of its revenue from gambling-related taxes, reducing the amount of revenue needed from other sources.

A state like California has huge legislated expenditures that are tough to reverse, a huge government machine that has to be fed, and has allowed expenses to run out of control.

BTW I see that the boys from Twickenham beat the homeland at the Millennium Stadium. I forgot it was on Friday, and had to settle for watching France beating Scotland in a fast game at Stade de France. The Italy v Ireland game is recorded.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:16:03 PM by Tom »

Theberrys

• ---
  • 1999 National Tradewinds 300hp Cat.
    • Our Photos
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
Paul

A lot of full time RV'rs register there coaches in Montana. This is done by getting a mail forwarding service in Montana and using that for a permanent address.

Here is a link to a TAX Free registration service for RV's.
http://www.taxfreerv.com/

And here is a link to a Mail Forwarding company in Montana.

http://www.travelersmailexpress.net/

I don't full time myself but so many that do do it through Montana that it's worth looking into.

Dick

1999 National RV Tradewinds 36.5 ft. 300hp Cat, Freightliner Custom Chassis

Paul UK

• ---
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »
LOL Paul, it can be tough for a visitor to understand. Unlike the UK with its centralized government, individual states have wide powers and responsibilities.....

A state like Nevada gains much of its revenue from gambling-related taxes, reducing the amount of revenue needed from other sources.

BTW I see that the boys from Twickenham beat the homeland at the Millennium Stadium. I forgot it was on Friday, and had to settle for watching France beating Scotland in a fast game at Stade de France. The Italy v Ireland game is recorded.
Wow.......what a headache!! And here I am thinking I can jump on a jet, buy a motorhome off someone, then ride off into the sunset! I can see this is going to be FUN with a capital F!!

Ermmm......'boys from Twickenham'.......if thats anything to do with football i'm afraid you've lost me. I'm one of (quite a few) brits that doesn't follow football!  :-[ ;D

Paul UK

• ---
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
Thanks for that Dick.

All info is useful......i'm currently on a serious learning curve!  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
Wow.......what a headache!!

Not as bad as it sounds Paul. Click the Library button above and, under Visitors to the USA, you'll find an article or two written by folks who've done this before.

if thats anything to do with football i'm afraid you've lost me

The other kind of football, but you obviously don't follow rugby  :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:40:17 AM by Tom »

allmac

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
Hi,
I have just been through most of the things you want to do in the US,so if you still looking for answers let me know,
Mal

brfcfan

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Hi Paul

We are from the UK and about to embark on a 5 month RV trip to the USA.

First of all I believe the visa waiver is only for 3 months, we had to go to the US embassy in London pay about 100 each and fill in paperwork etc etc, and we now have a US visa for 10 years.

We were going to buy an RV like you but with the hassle of setting up an LLC to buy it, register it, the stress of it breaking down and selling it we now decided to rent, however if you are going for 3 years then this is not an option. If you give me your email address then I will send you email correspondance I have had with a company in Montana who were going to set up a LLC for me and everything you need to know is in there.

Any questions please ask

Hosted by Over The Network