Pacific Coast with Mike & Wendy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy

Site Team
Glad you're on the road and enjoying the trip so far. We're not jealous at all because we're parked at Bolsa Chica State Beach, on the beach side, with our chairs pointed at the sunset over the Pacific. There's a pleasant breeze this evening and it's supposed to be 80 tomorrow...we might even go swimming HA.

RV life is good :)

Wendy

Wendy said:
Glad you're on the road and enjoying the trip so far. We're not jealous at all because we're parked at Bolsa Chica State Beach, on the beach side, with our chairs pointed at the sunset over the Pacific. There's a pleasant breeze this evening and it's supposed to be 80 tomorrow...we might even go swimming HA.

RV life is good :)

Wendy, you are in MY BACKYARD!!  Oh, my goodness--I wish we were there to show you around!  My favorite place is Little Corona Del Mar State Beach--take your car and go down there.  Look it up on the internet.  I took my students on field trips there to the world's most wonderful tidepools--really, they are the best I've ever visited--I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  When we would have a winter storm and it had come and gone, my own children would clamor to go down and see what was in the tidepools.  I dedicated one pair of tennies for climbing over the rocks because you do need to wear shoes, and they do get salty.

Our favorite restaurants are Duke's (Hawaiian, on the beach, looking out at the surfers, great to-die-for Sunday brunch--it's our family's place to go for really special occasions--engagements, birthdays for my Hawaiian son-in-law, great fish, too, a bit expensive and Captain Jack's in Sunset Beach, no atmosphere--awesome fish, reasonable prices, crowded tables, great crab at a cheap (relatively) price. At Dana Point you will find windsurfers, which are always fun to watch.

Dean and I dated for 5 years before marrying, and we spent about 50% of our dates body surfing at Huntington Beach State Park, which right next to you.

If you have any questions, write me.  Locations of anything, I should be able to help you.  I hope you have a wonderful time!

Linda

Decided to split the "left" coast discussion off from the "right" coast discusson.

Thanks for the info Linda. Since we're in your "backyard" would you like us to stop by and mow the lawn :) .  I saw Duke's on a map and thought about eating there - it's always nice to have a local endorse an eatery. We've eaten at Duke's in Hawaii and Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about "Duke's on Sunday" so we'll see if we can fit it in.  Would love any help on places to visit here and things to do, other than sucking up the beach scenery. Is the Surfing Museum in HB worth a visit? We have to hit the HB dog beach pretty much every day to keep Gordon happy. We had lunch at Rubio's today - if only they would build one in Colorado.

Too bad Bolsa Chica has a 7-day limit. We leave here on Sunday headed for San Clemente where I spent a lot of nights in my teenage years (Mom & Dad slept in the trailer, I slept in the bed of the pickup truck). The California State Parks are very nice, if a bit high-priced. Of course, the private RV parks in the area are just as pricey. The beach-side sites at Bolsa Chica State Beach are $65 for electric/water but being able to walk thru an opening in the fence and across the bike/walk path onto the sand is priceless. The sites against the highway might not be such a good deal if you're sensitive to noise....PCH is not a quiet highway and the sites are $50. Across PCH is Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve with walking trails and a plethora of birds. And if you're about 15 miles from Disneyland.

Linda - Help - Is that Catalina Island we see straight out from us? My parents honeymooned on Catalina and visited there in 1952 when Mom was pregnant with me so I hope it is. And I probably should know which island it is since I grew up in Whittier and spent many, many days hanging out at HB (usually east of Beach Blvd).

I have pictures of tonight's sunset. Will see if I can get them from the camera to the computer to the Forum. It was truly beautiful.

Wendy
sucking up the beach at Bolsa Chica

Yes....that is Catalina straight across from you.  Remember the song: "thirty three miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is waiting for me".  Fun....fun...place.  When I graduated from college, Tim surprised me with a weekend trip for my graduation.  We had a ball.  Then later years we went with Tim's business partner in their "big boat" and went back behind the island.  I can't for the life of me remember the name (Twin Harbors?); but we had a ball drinking and dancing out under the stars, then had to take a water taxi back to the "big boat".

Marsha~  Sitting here planning Thanksgiving up in Idyllwild, Ca.  Looks like I'm cooking the turkey on the road....<yikes>

Linda, are you planning on being home for T-day.  Wasn't it your kids that said you HAD to be home by then; or was it Christmas?  ;D

I thought it was 26 miles across the sea? Maybe it was further out to sea when you were a teenager? :)

Wendy

Just to cheer you up,  I had written a long message with all the restaurants I could remember from when we Lived in west Garden Grove.  The software here ate it and the copy got destroyed before I realized it did not get posted.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Wendy said:
I saw Duke's on a map and thought about eating there - it's always nice to have a local endorse an eatery. We've eaten at Duke's in Hawaii and Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about "Duke's on Sunday" so we'll see if we can fit it in.  Is the Surfing Museum in HB worth a visit? We have to hit the HB dog beach pretty much every day to keep Gordon happy. We had lunch at Rubio's today - if only they would build one in Colorado.

The California State Parks are very nice, if a bit high-priced. Of course, the private RV parks in the area are just as pricey. The beach-side sites at Bolsa Chica State Beach are $65 for electric/water but being able to walk thru an opening in the fence and across the bike/walk path onto the sand is priceless. The sites against the highway might not be such a good deal if you're sensitive to noise....PCH is not a quiet highway and the sites are $50. Across PCH is Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve with walking trails and a plethora of birds. And if you're about 15 miles from Disneyland.

Linda - Help - Is that Catalina Island we see straight out from us?

Duke's also has a place in Malibu.  Dean & I body-surfed, but I have a teacher friend who longboard-surfed, and he thinks the Surfing Museum is great.  There's a ton of stuff to do nearby, depending on your interests.  Gardens?  I have a favorite one that has miniature plants--not bonsai--way tinier.  Ethnic areas--like Little Saigon?  Sports?  Fishing?  Historical--missions? We love Griffith Park Observatory, and it is even more fantastic since its remodel.  Into trains?  Traveltown is right next door to GPO.  Into art?  We really enjoy downtown Laguna Beach--lots of personality as well as good art.  There are lots of good museums.  Live entertainment?  Really good live performances are in LA.  What kind of foods do you like?  Have you ever been to Bubba Gumps?  Great food--especially shrimp.  They have one down by the aquarium.  The Long Beach Aquarium is better than the National Aquarium, but nothing compares with Monterrey Bay.  Give me guidance, and I'll try to help.  We travel tomorrow, so I won't be able to respond until tomorrow evening, after we land.

What you see must be Catalina.  We can see it on a clear day.  Just ask anyone, and they can tell you.  I can't think of anything else it could be.  Catalina is a fun day-trip.  Take the boat over, and just walk around or rent a pedi-cab.  My son-in-law proposed to my daughter on the boat, with all of the family secreted in the crew's break room until "the moment".  They were on the first deck, and we were overhead filming it--she didn't see us until much later.  Then we had a nice lunch in Catalina, and strolled through the town.  They also have a tour that's not expensive to see the Wrigley ranch and estate.  It's nothing elaborate, but a relaxing activity.  Of course, there's the glass-bottom boat there, too.

Happy trails to you!
Linda

Ok, I just Googled it.  Yes, it is 26 miles across the sea and was sung by the Four Preps in 1958.  I was just a baby and you probably weren't even born yet.  :p

Marsha~

Second the suggestion to visit Santa Catalina. We've been there only a couple of times, once on our boat and once on a friend's boat. Picked up a mooring in Avalon Harbor, and the Harbor Patrol promptly comes aboard, drops a colored dye tablet down the head and flushes. He politely says "if we see a colored ring around your boat, you're out of here", i.e. don't discharge in my harbor.

A dinghy ride to shore, or a water taxi comes by. Easy walks or longer hikes on shore, or rent one of the self-propelled rides.

The ferry comes into Avalon also.

Marsha, I was just a baby too, but I remember the words to that song. Was typing a reply, but your Google search beat me to it  ;D

Regarding Catalina....Terry and I had one of our first dates in Catalina way back when.  We went over on the Big Boat with our ski club on a Friday  night.  We had huge back packs carrying tents, sleeping bags, coffee maker and a very thin pad that was supposed to be a ground cushion.  We camped at the bird sanctuary.  The ground was hard, the  mornign was cool and the set up was hilarious watching adults assemble their tents in the dark. I am never ever going camping on the ground again.  At least not on purpose! OH  now I  recall why I don't mind spending whatever it takes to  keep our motorhome running.  I like comforts.

Enjoy Bolsa Chica.  Our VERY favorite restaurant is the Fish Company in Los Alamitios.  Pricey but worth every cent.  We  always have the steamed clams as an appetizer and my wine is $7.50 a glass so that is what adds tothe  costs.  Terry could live on their  clam chowder.

Will have to check out the boat trips to Catalina. Would have to be a day trip since Mr G wouldn't be able to go along....unless I get him a guide dog vest. Also, like Betty, we no longer sleep on the ground. Last time was Death Valley about 10 years ago. And I think 26 miles is a bit far for us to kayak :)

I want to go across PCH tomorrow and walk around Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. All the times we've been at the Bolsa Chica campground, we've never gone there and it's right across the road. Today we're getting out the bikes and riding the trail that runs along between us and the beach, geocaching as we go - there are at least 6 along the hike/bike trail which is nice and flat for an easy ride. Then a trip to the dog beach.

Sunday we're going to see Star Wars at the Paramount Theater. There's a "movies filmed in the state parks" event. We think it will be cool just to see the theater and we love tracking down places where movies were filmed.

Linda - Mike informed me last night that he used to snorkle around Little Corona. I spent a lot of time at Huntington Beach when I was in high school but it was mostly laying on the beach getting fried. Are there any "hidden gems" in the Bolsa Chica area that we should visit?

Sitting here in shorts at 10 am. Supposed to be 80 here at the beach, 90s in Riverside and out in the desert.

Attaching a couple of pictures, Route 66 on the way in and last night's sunset here at Bolsa Chica.

Enjoy
Wendy

Attachments

• 2010 Oct - Route 66 (Small).JPG
    2010 Oct - Route 66 (Small).JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2010 Oct - Route 66 Overnighter (Small).JPG
    2010 Oct - Route 66 Overnighter (Small).JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Copy of IMG_2883 (Small).JPG
    Copy of IMG_2883 (Small).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 27
  • Copy of IMG_2885 (Small).JPG
    Copy of IMG_2885 (Small).JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 31
That would be a nice day trip Wendy. Let us know what they charge for the boat ride - just curious. If you go, be sure to have your camera ready as you leave the mainland and as you approach Avalon Harbor.

Last time we stopped there, we were en route from Marina Del Rey (where we visited with Carl and Cindy) to San Diego. Dead flat seas that day.

Thanks Marsha. I just assumed no pets on the boats to Catalina but after you suggested that they might, I looked it up and Catalina Express does allow dogs. Got all excited but further research showed that they have to be leashed and muzzled. Also looks like they can't go many places on the island. So I guess the phony guide dog will stay home in the coach. Or we may find a nice doggie day care.

Wendy

And I bet that Gordon is better behaved than some children out there.  I've seen some in action and believe me my dogs are better behaved than some of them !!!!

Betty Brewer said:
Enjoy Bolsa Chica.  Our VERY favorite restaurant is the Fish Company in Los Alamitios.  Pricey but worth every cent.  We  always have the steamed clams as an appetizer and my wine is $7.50 a glass so that is what adds tothe  costs.  Terry could live on their  clam chowder.

How could I have missed mentioning the Fish Company?  I second Betty's recommendation, and it's not that pricey for fresh fish.  Their Wednesday night special is a cassiolet (The Forum's spellchecker doesn't speak French, nor do I, so pardon the spelling).  It's basically a delicious fish casserole--would be in my top 5 meals I've ever had.  I discovered it by accident, and one of my close friends takes me there for my birthday every year.  Their sourdough bread is superb!  I totally agree with Terry's view of their clam chowder. 

Linda

ruthandken CDN said:
And I bet that Gordon is better behaved than some children out there.  I've seen some in action and believe me my dogs are better behaved than some of them !!!!

There is a dog beach close to where you are.  Why shouldn't your pooch have fun on his vacation, too?  Ask one of the rangers, and I'm sure they can direct you.  Also, they would be a great source for undiscovered places near them.  Since we started traveling 4 years ago, we don't get down there as much, so some of my info might be dated.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
There is a dog beach close to where you are.  Why shouldn't your pooch have fun on his vacation, too? 

We've visited the Huntington Beach Dog Beach every time we've camped here....Gordon thinks it's the neatest place there ever was ! We even joined the "Friends of HB Dog Beach" non-profit and have t-shirts.

I'll have to ask the ranger at the gate tomorrow if there's some interesting places to visit. Of course, just sitting here by the motorhome and sucking up the beach and ocean is certainly a great thing to do.

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
Ok, I just Googled it.  Yes, it is 26 miles across the sea and was sung by the Four Preps in 1958.  I was just a baby and you probably weren't even born yet.  :p

Marsha~

Do you believe everything you hear in a song? First off, it is Santa Catalina Island. The song, by the Four Preps was called 26 Miles(Santa Catalina), however, they are dead wrong. Santa Catalina is located only 22 miles "across the sea". They chose 26 miles because it was more poetic.

Santa Catalina is one of the 8 Channel Islands located off the coast of Southern California. Five of them, San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, and Santa Barbara form the Channel Islands National Park. The other three, Santa Catalina, San Nicolas and San Clemete are not part of the National Park. Some of the best scuba diving in the world can be found at the Channel Islands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom