Fifth wheels with driver side door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westaussie

Hi all,
Can anyone please advise me of what manufacturers and models are produced with a drivers side access door.I am looking for a 5th wheel of around 27' new or late model. Because i wish to import this to Australia I need a drivers side door access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff :)

This is an intersting question. Now I am wondering. In all of my life I do not remember ever seeing a driver's side door on a 5th wheel RV trailer. In fact I do not remember seeing one on a bumper pull type either. There must be some though.

I've seen a very few travel trailers with a door on the road side, but no fifth wheels at all.  There are companies in Australia that modify them, or so I've heard. A Search of old forum messages might turn up the name. Try searching on Aussie or Australia.

I'm wondering if this maybe an illegal concept in the States.  If they put a door on the driver's side you would be exiting the 5th wheel into the street, not the curbside.  And in campgrounds you would be going in and out on the "non" patio side.  I can see where that would be a problem.  Even horse trailers have a door to the tack room only on the curbside.

Geoff, you could probably have a driver's side door installed and the other side filled in.

Marsha~

I have seen a few TT's with road-side doors (and one on the back wall) - seems to be just a convenience item - from the floorplans I've seen, they either access a bathroom or bunkhouse/"kid's suite" area.

This past Labor Day weekend I did see a 5er with one - only one I've ever seen - it was at the KOA in Herkimer/Middleville, NY. It was a rather large 5er and the door was just behind the overhang (is there a formal name for that?). My guess is that it was at the bottom of the bedroom stairs. I meant to write down the model and Google it for a floorplan but I never did.

Joe

Are we missing something here?    Doesn't Australia drive on left hand side of the road? I don't know).

If so, that will change the equation.

Carson

Carson, methinks that's why Geoff wants a driver's side door in a U.S. 5th wheel; It will be a passenger side door when it gets off the ship down under ;)

Westaussie...check out this guys Wildcat over in New Zealand...

http://www.wildcatcamperforum.com/wildcat-owners-gallery-f4/wildcat-in-hawkes-bay-new-zealand-t3394.htm#31465

Hi all
Thanks for your replies and comments. Just to clarify any RV imported to Australia must have a door either to the rear or passengers side. I know there are a few manufacturers that supply both 5th wheel and TT's with this door as standard. It is just a matter of finding them?.

The other alternative is to find a floorplan that lends itself to the fitting of a door.

Thanks again

Geoff

I doubt if you will find a US built 5W with a door on that side (opposite of US standard) but there may be a company that would build one that way for you. New Horizons does custom layouts - check with them.  http://www.horizonsrv.com/

I saw one this morning in Texas!!!  Its a 5W by "Terry".  It looks a little older.  It has a door and steps on the "drivers" side.  And it had a door on the "passenger" side as well.

I saw a new looking Jayco Eagle ultralight with a door on the left side.    Also, a PUMA travel trailer with a door on each side.

I think a lot of the trailers you see here with doors on the "drivers" side as well as passenger (or curb) side, the one on the driver's side is just an outside door leading to a bathroom (also with an indoor door to it).  I've seen lots of these, primarily in bunkhouse trailers, at RV Shows.  But I think the OP (you still there OP??) is looking for a true reverse plan layout (made from the factory for a left-hand primary door).  Just like the one in my link above.

Take a look at the Cedar Creek line.  They have one with a door on both sides of the RV.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=36RD5S&choice=cedar&nav=rec&name=3192&series=5thWheels

Also take a look at the K-Z Durango line.  I am pretty sure they have one with a door on both sides.  The driver door opens into a half bath.

Brad

I have a 1995 Terry with a full door on each side with stairs.  The drivers side door opens to the bottom of the stairs for the bathroom and into the kitchen.  We love it.  It opens the trailor up for a good cross breeze and when we camp together as a family or group the non patio side is usually where everything takes place.  It is very convient to have an extra door on that side.  The trailor is for sale the kids have out grown the couch and need bunks.

There are at least a few US 5'ver makers that make models specifically for sale in Australia, such as Forest River's Palomino/Puma and Flagstaff brands. Since there's more than just the door location to consider, I'd think it would be more practical to purchase a "made for Australia" unit in Australia, rather than having to deal with the 240 volt electrical issues and left side door modifications of a one off personal import. Assuming you even found one in the US with a narrow enough body to meet Australia's 2.5 meter (98-1/2") maximum width including awnings, lights, handles, etc.

I think left side doors are a waste as they are always in the ruff so to speak.. Think about it your always set over to the left as to give you more room for awning and table and just what I call the patio area so the left door is 90% of the time in the ruff when you step out.. Am I making sense.. Just my opinion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom